Behold the $15 LED light bulb

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Lighting Science Group teams up with Indian electronics manufacturer Dixon Technologies to unveil the world's first $15-or-less 60-watt equivalent LED bulb.

Even though some LED (or light-emitting diode) light bulbs boast lifespans that last decades while consuming minimal energy compared to old school incandescent bulbs, their price — often hovering around the $40 mark — has remained a sticking point with many consumers. Sure, the savings in the long run are remarkable, but who really wants to spend more than $20 on a single light bulb?

Well, meet the latest creation from the geniuses over at Lighting Science Group: an omnidirectional, 60-watt equivalent A19 LED bulb with a sticker price of $15 or less. That's right, folks — a $15 LED.

Developed in cooperation with Indian electronics manufacturing giant Dixon Technologies, this low-priced, high-performance bulb with a lifespan of around eight years will initially be released in India later this year before making its way stateside and elsewhere in early 2012. The revolutionary bulb is designed to consume 85 percent less energy than standard 60-watt incandescents and 35 percent less energy than CLFs.

With 800,000,000 incandescent light bulbs and 300,000,000 CFLs sold in India each year, the market is ripe for these highly efficient, long lasting and nontoxic products. The economic and environmental implications of this partnership are significant: old-style light bulbs use 60 billion units of electricity each year, 7% of India’s total, and our Lighting Science Group Definity® lamps could save over 70% of that, equivalent to 32 coal fired plants with 500MW capacity.

Behold, the $15 LED bulb | MNN - Mother Nature Network

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. Avatar9

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I can get 2 bulbs at the dollar store.

Do these last 30xs as long?

How long do I have to use it to make up for the fact that it costs 30 times what I pay for my current bulbs?

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    I'm suspect of an Indian electronics manufacturer naming itself "Dixon Technologies".

Why not "Patel Photonics" or the like?

Labeeb LED?

Laksh Lights?

Baanbhatt's Bulbs?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    I surely wouldn't pay 15 dollars for a light bulb. You can stick your light bulb straight up your ass before I will.

5. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    what if it lasts 10 times as long as a regular bulb and uses less energy.

6. Avatar9

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    1/3 as much energy? Then it'd be a wash.

I pay a dollar for two incandescents.

7. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    the squiggly bulbs cost more up front but you save more money in the long run because they last longer and they use less energy.

8. Mr_Rockhead

Mr_Rockhead Slouching toward Medicare

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I went ahead and replaced almost all my incandescent bulbs with the more-expensive CLFs about six years ago. And I actually wound up saving money in the long run. My electric bill went way down and most of those bulbs have yet to burn out.

So, if these LED bulbs are as advertised, I will replace my CLF bulbs with them as they burn out.

And I also expect them to come down in price as demand and competition increases.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  9. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,311
    If it's $15 now and it sells it will be $5 in a year and half that in two or three years. What's needed is a high efficiency bulb that fits well in the older style lamps. CFLs are often two large.

I like the long lasting bulbs even thou they cost more. I have a number of lights that require a step ladder to change.

Another advantage of CFL's is more light from a small fixture. Many lamps have 60 watt max rating. A 23 what CFL produces the light output of a 100 watt bulb so you can get a lot more light from a small lamp.

10. MeBelle

MeBelle Mebellien Mothership © Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,151
    CFL and incandescent bulbs trigger migraines for me.
    The 'savings' is not worth the pain.