Before there was a "greatest generation"

So if the Supreme Court says an act is legal how can it be a violation of the constitution?

A Supreme Court bullied and coerced by a dictatorial President who had gathered more power to himself than the Constitution ever intended and who had skewed the balance of powers? Even at that, a Supreme Court that eventually could not justify FDR's concentration camps in light of the US Constitution? Are YOU trying to justify them now?

I don't have to justify it the Court did.

I asked if YOU were trying to justify FDR's concentration camps. You're not afraid to answer, are you?

General DeWitt a very conservative general believed it necessary as did the Daughters of the Golden West and the California Fruit Growers...

You sound like a child trying to convince himself to accept something he knows was wrong.

A Supreme Court bullied and coerced by a dictatorial President who had gathered more power to himself than the Constitution ever intended and who had skewed the balance of powers? Even at that, a Supreme Court that eventually could not justify FDR's concentration camps in light of the US Constitution? Are YOU trying to justify them now?

I asked if YOU were trying to justify FDR's concentration camps. You're not afraid to answer, are you?

At the time, the camps were not on my important list. There were so many restrictions on the nation at the time and to me personally it was not a big deal nor do I even remember it with any significance. Later, in a graduate history class we did an autopsy on the topic, and to a man the class decided it was the California organizations those that would profit from the evacuation that pushed DeWitt to order the evacuation. Later studies show some evidence that DeWitt was somewhat of a racist. There was also a great deal of hostility towards the Japanese and Japanese Americans at the time not only from DeWitt but other Americans.
In any war there are a number of mistakes made, and later the US formally apologized. One of the good things that came out of the event was America changed some of its laws regarding Japanese and Japanese-Americans.
I think of it as a national learning experience, but I wonder.

At the time, the camps were not on my important list. There were so many restrictions on the nation at the time and to me personally it was not a big deal .

I wonder how many other silent accomplices to villainy throughout history and all over the world have expressed the exact same attitude.

And the fact remains that FDR was a fucking scumbag.

At the time, the camps were not on my important list. There were so many restrictions on the nation at the time and to me personally it was not a big deal .

I wonder how many other silent accomplices to villainy throughout history and all over the world have expressed the exact same attitude.

And what did you do to stop that all that villainy. besides calling FDR names?

So who is your favorite destroyer of villainy, Superman, Captain Marvel, other?

The greatest generation was and remains the only generation that faced, fought, and defeated a world nearly dominated by two dictatorships. It liberated Europe, Asia, and the Mideast. If it had not been for the madness of one and the lack of raw materials of another the world would have been dominated by two spheres of dictatorial influences. As for FDR, his actions were based on the premise of what was required to satisfy the masses enough to insure the preservation of the wealthiest class in America, prevent social upheaval and insure that the social elite's would retain governing power in America. His disregard for the Constitution in the treatment of loyal Asian Americans will forever remain a blight on our history. His reluctance and inability to integrate all branches of the armed services was a disgrace. His treatment of minorities was nothing short of preservation of the status quo.

But integration had begun under FDR, not as a policy but as a necessity. It will be the next Democratic president after FDR that makes it policy.

As this is the memorial day weekend, I thought I would solicit some thoughts about a subject that has been bothering me. We have been through a period of glorification of those who served in WWII. I have never heard reasoning for why that generation should be elevated above those who fought in WWI, or the Civil War, or Korea, or Vietnam, or the more recent conflicts. If anyone has some thoughts on this, it would like to hear.

Finally, if we single out WWII soldiers, marines, seamen, and airmen, I would give pride of place to those who fought at Pearl Harbor, Bataan, Corregidor, Wake Island. and the dark days in the Pacific and Atlantic in 1942, when the US Navy lost six of its eight carriers, the Japanese advance seemed unstoppable, when the US Navy decided to abandon the convoy system in the Atlantic and we tried to "protect" our merchant ships from submarines by mounting machine guns on them. There was a time when it looked very much as if we were going to lose that war, and the time to build the ships and planes and train the forces that would land on D-Day and take back the Pacific was bought with the lives of the defenders who died or became prisoners in now forgotten parts of the world.

I have no issues with referring to them as the Greatest Generation

They were raised in the Depression. They fought and won the greatest war in History. Serving in WWII meant you entered service and served the duration of the war. There were no tours of duty. Once you entered the fight, you stayed. Those on the homefront made actual sacrifices.
Returning home, this generation fought another war in Korea and eventually landed a man on the moon.

And what did you do to stop that all that villainy. besides calling FDR names?

I wasn't born yet, if that's all right with you. You stop that villainy from happening again by reminding people what a fucking scumbag FDR was despite the fact that his counterparts from the same era were much worse. "Calling (him) names"? You have a problem with a villain of historic proportions to be 'called names'? Too fucking bad. Are you defending that piece of shit? Are you an American?

So who is your favorite destroyer of villainy, Superman, Captain Marvel, other?

There have been many (and will be many more, I have no doubt).

Here's a few:

Barney F. Hajiro Company I, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Mikio Hasemoto Original 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Joe Hayashi Company K, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Shizuya Hayashi Original 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Daniel K. Inouye Company E, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Yeiki Kobashigawa Original 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Robert T. Kuroda Company H, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Kaoru Moto Company C, 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Sadao S. Munemori Company A, 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Kiyoshi K. Muranaga Company F, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Masato Nakae Company A, 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
Shinyei Nakamine Original 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
William K. Nakamura Company G, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Joe M. Nishimoto Company G, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Allan M. Ohata Company B, 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate)
James K. Okubo Medical Detachment, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Yukio Okutsu Company F, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Frank H. Ono Company G, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Kazuo Otani Company G, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
George T. Sakato Company E, 442nd Regimental Combat Team
Ted T. Tanouye Company K, 442nd Regimental Combat Team

Ralph L. Carr, Governor of Colorado

Of course there are many more. Every period of American history has produced them - from every part of our nation and every race, religion, ethnicity, party, and orientation of courageous, loyal Americans that make up this greatest country in the world. They include heroes who were cut down on Breed's Hill to kids serving our nation around the world today and every where/when in between. They do NOT include FD-fucking-R.

Being born in 1939, while I was young, I remember a lot about WWII.

I lived in a mixed neighborhood in Los Angeles and remember some of my friends disappearing because they were Japanese.

I remember the rationing and my mom working at an aircraft plant building planes for the war. My father was a cop and exempt from going - a good idea as he was also a mean alcoholic.

I remember eating rabbit in lie of chicken, goat and sheep instead of beef, and that new stuff called oleomargarine that came with a yellow pouch you stirred in to remind you of butter. I remember going everywhere in a streetcar as our cars only had enough gasoline to get them back and forth to work.

I remember the Sunday newsreels at the theater giving us the latest news - no TV back then.

But, I also remember a lot of radio shows to entertain us, many with patriotic themes.

I also remember that nobody hated the "Japs" or the "Krauts" in spite of government efforts. Our hate was directed to Hitler and Tojo.

Your just in pickle because the greatest generation voted for FDR--four times; add to that, historians have named him America's greatest president. Those facts must be hard to live with, still that's the stuff of heroes, isn't it? As for all those members of the 442nd I wonder how many voted Democratic when they came home? How about Senator Daniel Inouye, a member of the 442, wonder how he voted when he was discharged? Wonder how Japanese Americans vote today? You're attempting to use the wrong group to defame FDR.

Lack of Integrity is the cancer that is destroying societies ability to prosper today. We don't hold people accountable for what comes out of their mouths, therefore trust becomes obsolete.

Seems to me people put too much stock in words without establishing enough accountability for results.

You're attempting to use the wrong group to defame FDR.

How exactly is pointing out undisputed historical FACTS 'defaming' the scumbag FDR?

Strange how the 238 noted historians and presidential experts that voted FDR as America's greatest president don't have access to your undisputed historical facts. You might try giving them a hand with their history. Can you recommend a book they might read to get those undisputed historical facts?

Forum List

Back