Bees living on Notre-Dame cathedral roof survive blaze

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
_106527688_gettyimages-1137692661-594x594.jpg

Ain’t Nature awesome?

Some 200,000 bees living in hives on the roof were initially thought to have perished in the blaze.

However Nicolas Géant, the cathedral's beekeeper, has confirmed that the bees are alive and buzzing.

European bees - unlike other species - stay by their hive after sensing danger, gorging on honey and working to protect their queen.

High temperatures would have posed the biggest risk, but Mr Géant explained that any smoke would have simply intoxicated them.

"Instead of killing them, the carbon dioxide makes them drunk, puts them to sleep," he told AP.

More @ Bees on Notre-Dame roof survive fire

_106527688_gettyimages-1137692661-594x594.jpg

Ain’t Nature awesome?

Some 200,000 bees living in hives on the roof were initially thought to have perished in the blaze.

However Nicolas Géant, the cathedral's beekeeper, has confirmed that the bees are alive and buzzing.

European bees - unlike other species - stay by their hive after sensing danger, gorging on honey and working to protect their queen.

High temperatures would have posed the biggest risk, but Mr Géant explained that any smoke would have simply intoxicated them.

"Instead of killing them, the carbon dioxide makes them drunk, puts them to sleep," he told AP.

More @ Bees on Notre-Dame roof survive fire
If I were a bee, I'd fly over to the next roof and wait it out.

Wow..................just when I thought it couldn't get any more cool. Not only did the organs survive, but the bees too? Way cool.

Nice story on two levels.
One, the bees survived.
Two ---- Notre Dame Cathedral has a beekeeper. :thup:

Forum List

Back