Beer

Bud sucks

I've been a Samuel Adams guy for as long as I remember

Beer to me is situational. Bud Light works good, like Corona if you are out in the sun at say the beach or a picnic.

For camping I go with Busch cans.

For dinner it depends on what I am eating.

For usual mass consumption, I go with Brooklyn Lager, Newcastle, or Sam Adams.

I like a wheat beer in the summer

Harpoon UFO or Sam Summer ales are good
Pyramid makes a lot of good wheat beers but alas they are not sold here

I do like a good wheat beer if I am sitting around outside during the summer. The others I listed are more for when you are doing something, like a game of can jam or cornhole.

Sam Summer in cans are a favorite of mine for drunken kayaking

Mrs T brought home a slab of Bud Light the other day and I have to say how underwhelmed I am. It tastes of piss and I still have about 9 cans to get through.

She got it cheap because it isnt selling. Thank God she didnt buy all of it.
18527634_10213351697935362_280023595816261796_n.jpg

It got me thinking of American beers. I remember from my visits there that your drinking culture is different to ours in that you do not drink heavily. Most of the beers I tried were ok but a bit underpowered. Probably to refrain you from getting drunk and killing each other in a drunken rage.

But I know that there is better out there. A few weeks ago I went to a wake in a local hotel and they were serving this beauty - ON DRAUGHT !! God Bless America !! It really enhanced my funeral experience.

shipyard_export_web.png

Shipyard

So how do Coors and Bud achieve such dominance when there are real quality beers out there ?

As the old joke go's, "how is American beer like making love in a canoe? They're both fucking close to water!" Yes, American beer is pretty dreadful. The best I have ever had is Montieths Bitter, out of Nelson, New Zealand.

Yeah IPA is all the rage now but I don't care for them
I didn't like them at first either, but, now that I'm used to them, the traditional beers taste like water

Define traditional beer
Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc. I had a Heineicken recently. Terrible.
Those are common beers but hardly traditional

I don't drink a lot of those pissy pilsners

IPAs have been around for a long time they're just now getting popular. I don't mind a hoppy beer but The IPAs do nothing for me because they seem to be all one note.

I'll take a Sam Adams Boston Ale any day it's just a more complex flavor palette

The funny thing is in NYC the IPA craze is finally starting to wind down. You are now seeing more Porters and Sour Beers.

I am a big fan of porters. Sour beer not so much, but they have been growing on me.
Love porters

I also like the really good reds and ambers like Smithwicks and BelHaven

I didn't like them at first either, but, now that I'm used to them, the traditional beers taste like water

Define traditional beer

IPAs have been around for a long time they're just now getting popular. I don't mind a hoppy beer but The IPAs do nothing for me because they seem to be all one note.

I'll take a Sam Adams Boston Ale any day it's just a more complex flavor palette

The funny thing is in NYC the IPA craze is finally starting to wind down. You are now seeing more Porters and Sour Beers.

I am a big fan of porters. Sour beer not so much, but they have been growing on me.
Love porters

I go to Irish bars in NY, so usually Smithwicks is on tap around 75% of the time. Forgot to add that to my list of "go to's"

Mrs T brought home a slab of Bud Light the other day and I have to say how underwhelmed I am. It tastes of piss and I still have about 9 cans to get through.

It got me thinking of American beers. I remember from my visits there that your drinking culture is different to ours in that you do not drink heavily. Most of the beers I tried were ok but a bit underpowered. Probably to refrain you from getting drunk and killing each other in a drunken rage.

But I know that there is better out there. A few weeks ago I went to a wake in a local hotel and they were serving this beauty - ON DRAUGHT !! God Bless America !! It really enhanced my funeral experience.

shipyard_export_web.png

Shipyard

So how do Coors and Bud achieve such dominance when there are real quality beers out there ?

As the old joke go's, "how is American beer like making love in a canoe? They're both fucking close to water!" Yes, American beer is pretty dreadful. The best I have ever had is Montieths Bitter, out of Nelson, New Zealand.

Hands down, America makes arguably the best beer in the world...in just about any style.
Problem is, everyone thinks Bud-Miller-Coors (called adjunct lager) is all that America makes.
Craft beer in America is (Thank God) making massive headway into the market place.
Just 5 years ago Craft beer had less than 3% share, now near 7% and climbing.

Define traditional beer

Love porters

Anchor Porter is awesome

Define traditional beer

Love porters

Anchor Porter is awesome

This is one of my favorites:

SWEET BABY JESUS - Duclaw Brewing Company

I am not a beer "snob"....I am a beer enthusiast.
I enjoy beer for what it should be - the most versatile beverage on the planet. No other beverage comes in so many wildly different varieties. And when paired well...beer flat out goes better with food than wine.
And as a beer enthusiast - I loathe American adjunct corporate beer. Bud-Miller-Coors, all of them is simply lager beer, made by replacing more quality grains with corn and rice because it is cheaper, then add 30-40% more water than a standard lager - and call it "premium lager"....

shipyard_export_web.png

Shipyard

Hands down, America makes arguably the best beer in the world...in just about any style.
Problem is, everyone thinks Bud-Miller-Coors (called adjunct lager) is all that America makes.
Craft beer in America is (Thank God) making massive headway into the market place.

I disagree with the "best" claim, but yes, the craft beers are starting to get good. I get Fat Tire and Boulevard whenever possible as i know their quality, I also like the product line from Dogfish Head, especially their Midas Touch, that is a good beer! But hands down the best I've ever had was the Montieths.

shipyard_export_web.png

Shipyard

I disagree with the "best" claim, but yes, the craft beers are starting to get good. I get Fat Tire and Boulevard whenever possible as i know their quality, I also like the product line from Dogfish Head, especially their Midas Touch, that is a good beer! But hands down the best I've ever had was the Montieths.

Fat Tire and Boulevard are both decent brewers...heads above the corporate swill, but among craft brewers...average brewers. Just sayin.

I enjoy beer for what it should be - the most versatile beverage on the planet. No other beverage comes in so many wildly different varieties. And when paired well...beer flat out goes better with food than wine.
And as a beer enthusiast - I loathe American adjunct corporate beer. Bud-Miller-Coors, all of them is simply lager beer, made by replacing more quality grains with corn and rice because it is cheaper, then add 30-40% more water than a standard lager - and call it "premium lager"....

It's not the Corporations fault its our Federal law.
Only 6% content is allowed no higher.
Our Progressives in government thinks it's for our best interest.

Depends on the state you live in.
Indiana is one of the premiere craft beer states, and likewise, there are no Alc. % limits.
Three Floyds, one of the nations top brewers and in IN, makes beers as high as 13%

Depends on the state you live in.
Indiana is one of the premiere craft beer states, and likewise, there are no Alc. % limits.
Three Floyds, one of the nations top brewers and in IN, makes beers as high as 13%

Agree I was talking about imports of German beer.

shipyard_export_web.png

Shipyard

Fat Tire and Boulevard are both decent brewers...heads above the corporate swill, but among craft brewers...average brewers. Just sayin.

I know that. My preference is Dog Fish as stated.

Forum List

Back