Be of one mind......

tipofthespear

May 13, 2013
I have begun to consider what the Apostle Paul said about our being of one mind, and if he meant that we must all believe exactly alike with regards to what Scripture means. After reading the various Scriptures I will reference here, I do not believe that the Apostle expected us to all agree exactly on the various Theological points of Scripture, rather the “one mind” he was referring to was something else entirely. One reason for my coming to this conclusion is the fact that the Apostle himself disagreed with certain other Apostles, thus it is quite clear that they were not all “of one mind” with regards to Scriptures and what they taught.

Philippians 2:2) Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Romans 12:16) Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

These were the first two Scriptures I considered, for they are best known to me with regards to being of “one mind.” Reading them carefully, I noticed that they did not address Theological ideologies at all, rather they speak of loving one another, and humility. Reading on in Romans, I considered what the Apostle said in the 15 Chapter:

Romans 15:1) We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2 .) Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.
3 .) For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me. 4 .) For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
5 .) Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: 6 .) That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 .) Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God. 8 .) Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
9 .) And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name. 10 .) And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people. 11 .) And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people. 12 .) And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust. 13 .) Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

And here I believe the Apostle expanded on his earlier teachings to include loving God, and Jesus Christ, and that we should “6) That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” We are to “Praise the Lord, and laude him.”
I then turned to Philippians, and began to consider what the Apostle wrote in the 4th Chapter:

Philippians 4:1) Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. 2 .) I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 .) And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. 4 .) Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. 5 .) Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 .) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 .) And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8 .) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 .) Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Here again, he emphasis that we “rejoice in the Lord always.” And in verse 8, he expands his comments to include truth, honesty, justice, purity, lovely, and virtue and praise as things we should strive for. Turning back to 1st Corinthians, consider these teachings:

1st Corinthians 1:10) Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 .) For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you……

… and these two scriptures troubled me momentarily, but I continued to read………..

17) For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 .) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 .) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 .) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 .) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22 .) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23 .) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 .) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

And I realized that he was laying out a particular point of “one mind,” and that is the preaching of the cross, of Christ crucified. The importance that we all be of one mind with regards to the preaching of the cross, of Christ crucified, and I believe that the majority of believers are of “one mind” with regards to this teaching of the Apostles.

Turning to 2nd Corinthians, I began to read the 13th Chapter:

2nd Corinthians 13:5) Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 6 .) But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. 7 .) Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates. 8 .) For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. 9 .) For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection. 10 .) Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction. 11 .) Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

And the important point for me I found in the 11th verse: “Finally brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace, and the God of love and peace shall be with you.” Again, the Apostle is speaking of the importance of our loving one another, comforting one another, living in peace with one another……and, for me, this is the “one mind” he teaches.

Jesus spoke of this in His prayer found in the 17th Chapter of John:

John 17:14) I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 .) I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 .) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 .) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 .) As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 .) And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 .) Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 .) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 .) And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 .) I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. 24 .) Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25 .) O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 .) And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Jesus prayed that we would be one, with one another, and one with Him and with God the Father. Notice verse 26: “And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. For me, Jesus Himself is speaking of the importance of our being of “one mind” through His love for us, and our love for Him, and for eachother.

So, now believing that the “one mind” the Apostle spoke of was not Theological ideology, but, rather a “one mind” of love, I wanted to see what we should seek to achieve this “one mindedness.” Consider these final two passages of Scripture, and see if you think they are what we should seek?

Colossians 3:8) now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 .) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 .) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 .) Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. 12 .) Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 .) Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 .) And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 .) And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 .) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 .) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

1st Thessalonians 5:8) But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 .) For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 .) Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. 11 .) Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 12 .) And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13 .) And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. 14 .) Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. 15 .) See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. 16 .) Rejoice evermore. 17 .) Pray without ceasing.
18 .) In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 .) Quench not the Spirit. 20 .) Despise not prophesyings. 21 .) Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 .) Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 .) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 .) Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

I know this is quite long, but I believe it is an important study for to be consider, and I hope you will forgive it’s length, and take the time to give it the thought I believe it deserves.

May God richly bless you and yours……

Forum List

Back