Be Libertarian for just one election

you're not a libertarian if you think it's ok for government to interfere with my right to dominion over my own body.

Well Gary Johnson is pro-choice, but I might suggest that allowing libertarians to define libertarianism for ourselves is probably the wisest course.

the POINT of libertarianism is to leave people alone to make their own moral choices.

so no.. .you don't get to "RE-define" libertarianism to suit the religious right....

I also wasn't referring to Gary Johnson... I was referring to the pretend libertarians on this board.

Jillian -- honestly a WHOLE party shouldn't really take a definitive stand on abortion. There are plenty of Pro-Life Democrats in Congress aren't there? We're gonna find a whole range of opinions in ALL parties. All I can promise you is that PAYING for abortions isn't something that a Libertarian govt is ever gonna WANT to do... But that's so far down the economic impact list --- it might be a week or two til we got to it...

Libertarians for life

One popular misconception is that libertarianism as a political principle supports choice on abortion. And major elements within the libertarian movement (the Libertarian Party, for example) take abortion-choice stands. Nonetheless, libertarianism's basic principle is that each of us has the obligation not to aggress against (violate the rights of) anyone else -- for any reason (personal, social, or political), however worthy. That is a clearly pro-life principle. Recognizing that, and seeing the abortion-choice drift within the libertarian movement, Libertarians for Life was founded in 1976 to show why abortion is a wrong under justice, not a right.

We see our mission as presenting the pro-life case to libertarians and the libertarian case to pro-lifers. Among supporters of LFL, some of us are members of the Libertarian Party, some are not. Some are religious, some are not. (Doris Gordon, our Founder and Coordinator, is a Jewish atheist.) Our reasoning is expressly scientific and philosophical rather than either pragmatic or religious, or merely political or emotional.

To explain and defend our case, LFL argues that:

1. Human offspring are human beings, persons from conception, whether that takes place as natural or artificial fertilization, by cloning, or by any other means.

2. Abortion is homicide -- the killing of one person by another.

3. One's right to control one's own body does not allow violating the obligation not to aggress. There is never a right to kill an innocent person. Prenatally, we are all innocent persons.

4. A prenatal child has the right to be in the mother's body. Parents have no right to evict their children from the crib or from the womb and let them die. Instead both parents, the father as well as the mother, owe them support and protection from harm.

5. No government, nor any individual, has a just power to legally "de-person" any one of us, born or preborn.

6. The proper purpose of the law is to side with the innocent, not against them.

Whooaaa right there...

Among supporters of LFL, some of us are members of the Libertarian Party, some are not.

News to me.. Since when does LFL -- where SOME of it's members are NOT in the Lib Party - get to summarize the inner workings and thinking of the party?? I welcome their existence, but I want to know more about number and composition of those NOT IN the freakin' party...

Last thing we need is outside radicals PRETENDING to be interested in Libertarian politics for the sake of their own agenda.

Whooaaa right there...

Among supporters of LFL, some of us are members of the Libertarian Party, some are not.

News to me.. Since when does LFL -- where SOME of it's members are NOT in the Lib Party - get to summarize the inner workings and thinking of the party?? I welcome their existence, but I want to know more about number and composition of those NOT IN the freakin' party...

Last thing we need is outside radicals PRETENDING to be interested in Libertarian politics for the sake of their own agenda.

They formed in 1976- I guess news travels slowly. I provided a link- take it up with them?

Two-term Governor, Gary Johnson, says both parties are indistinguishable from one another.

The national discord rest in their differences not their similarities.

On alll the things that govt is SUPPOSED TO DO -- like foreign policy, immigration, monetary policy --- ain't an ounce of Coke or Pepsi difference.

It's only when you look at the things that they SHOULDN'T be doing where there's a solid diff. (Buying car companies, defunding Soc Sec (BOTH PARTIES), mucking with your lightbulbs, giving GE candy, ect)

“Shouldn’t be doing” according to what authority?

There's absolutely nothing contradictory about being a pro-life libertarian.

That’s fine provided they don’t attempt to codify that position.

The national discord rest in their differences not their similarities.

On alll the things that govt is SUPPOSED TO DO -- like foreign policy, immigration, monetary policy --- ain't an ounce of Coke or Pepsi difference.

It's only when you look at the things that they SHOULDN'T be doing where there's a solid diff. (Buying car companies, defunding Soc Sec (BOTH PARTIES), mucking with your lightbulbs, giving GE candy, ect)

U.S. Constitution.

By that measure Romney is far the better candidate. Did New Mexico ever elect a bunch of bumblers like Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, John Kerry, or Mike Dukakis? No. Mass did though. Which tells you what Romney had to work with.
Is ROmney a conservative? No. NEver claimed he was.
But Romney has something Gary Johnson doesn't have: The nomination of the GOP (coming) and the possibility of winning. And if the GOP is so awful why did Johnson run in their primaries?

How about the GOP adopts a few libertarian policies, then asks libertarians to vote for them?

Until this happens the Dem-lite Party can go fuck themselves

Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you.

No problem: I'll be watching Dem-Lites continue to lose elections until they wake the fuck up.

you're not a libertarian if you think it's ok for government to interfere with my right to dominion over my own body.

Funny, I don't recall ever saying that.

On the other hand, I don't see how you think abortion is simply a matter of you and that it has no impact on anyone else.

As far as jill's concerned, no human being exists until it slides out the pussy.

U.S. Constitution.

Why thank-you Rabbi -- see how well we work together?

Our law scholar here apparently believes that the LAW DEMANDS that GE should be getting $150 of taxpayer money for every GREEN washer/dryer they sell. And that the Commerce clause gives them the right to select our meals and transportation for us..

We gave republican party a try in the 21st century with Bush...most think he failed. We gave democrat party a try with obama...most think he failed. Why not try libertarianism next? It seems logical to try something new rather than go back to something that didn't work.

We gave republican party a try in the 21st century with Bush...most think he failed. We gave democrat party a try with obama...most think he failed. Why not try libertarianism next? It seems logical to try something new rather than go back to something that didn't work.

Bush isn't running this time.
And if you think you can elect someone who will magically turn the clock back to 1800 singlehandedly you're sadly mistaken.

And if you think you can elect someone who will magically turn the clock back to 1800 singlehandedly you're sadly mistaken.

Bush and Romney are the exact same ideologically...what will be different? Why are you such a chicken shit? What's this 1800 nonsense you are spewing?

Bush and Romney are the exact same ideologically...what will be different? Why are you such a chicken shit? What's this 1800 nonsense you are spewing?

Not really.
But I'll go back to 4.5% unemployment, 2% inflation and 4%+GDP growth any day.

Not really.
But I'll go back to 4.5% unemployment, 2% inflation and 4%+GDP growth any day.

hey, fair enough. i dont think they are that different.

Who wants to turn the clock back to 1800?

All Dem-Lites would need to do would be adopt, and actually act on ONE Libertarian Principle.

But, I guess even that's too much to ask.

Forum List

Back