Be Libertarian for just one election

We gave republican party a try in the 21st century with Bush...most think he failed. We gave democrat party a try with obama...most think he failed. Why not try libertarianism next? It seems logical to try something new rather than go back to something that didn't work.

Bush isn't running this time.
And if you think you can elect someone who will magically turn the clock back to 1800 singlehandedly you're sadly mistaken.

Who wants to turn the clock back to 1800?

All Dem-Lites would need to do would be adopt, and actually act on ONE Libertarian Principle.

But, I guess even that's too much to ask.

Rand Paul endorsed Romney and supported sanctions against Iran and he's called a sellout on this forum. Get real.

Thankfully, Libertarians will never have any political influence on this country

An outshoot of the John Birch Society, they present ideals that most Americans find offensive

And if you think you can elect someone who will magically turn the clock back to 1800 singlehandedly you're sadly mistaken.

Who wants to turn the clock back to 1800?

All Dem-Lites would need to do would be adopt, and actually act on ONE Libertarian Principle.

But, I guess even that's too much to ask.

Rand Paul endorsed Romney and supported sanctions against Iran and he's called a sellout on this forum. Get real.

You don't know one Libertarian Principle, do you?

You cannot even name ONE.

Typical of Dem-Lite.

We gave republican party a try in the 21st century with Bush...most think he failed. We gave democrat party a try with obama...most think he failed. Why not try libertarianism next? It seems logical to try something new rather than go back to something that didn't work.

Bush and Romney are the exact same ideologically...what will be different? Why are you such a chicken shit? What's this 1800 nonsense you are spewing?

Actually, Romney is closer to Obama than he is Bush.

If I were to vote Libertarian for one election I would have to close my mind, lose all compassion for my fellow Americans and look out only for myself

If I were to vote Libertarian for one election I would have to close my mind, lose all compassion for my fellow Americans and look out only for myself

Really? Libertarianism and by extension, volunteerism, is the most compassionate of all the American political ideologies. You should probably do some research.

Really? Libertarianism and by extension, volunteerism, is the most compassionate of all the American political ideologies. You should probably do some research.

I'll pass on ideologies. They seem like an excuse not to have to think. :dunno:

Really? And what sir, do you think?

What? And spoil the puppet theater?

Much more fun to fling around ignorant stereotypes and cram everything into the stilted left-right model.

Libertarianism has never succeeded at any level of government. It is merely the modern version of the John Birch Society. Government based on screw everyone else

There's some truth to that. At their best ideologies are convenient tags for sets of beliefs. They can give us a way to predict how a leader will govern in unforeseen circumstances. Knowing a candidate's view of the purpose of government is particularly important. In that sense especially, libertarianism is a useful tag. More vague ideologies, like conservatism or liberalism, are less useful and offer so much "elbow room" that they tell us very little.

That's pretty lame. What you are in essence saying is that you can only show compassion via government? Government is not compassionate- people are. Government sucks at compassion.

Libertarianism as an ideological standard is the absolute perfect place to start when creating legislation- It has its foundation rooted in personal liberty- It is the birth place of Classical Liberalism (not social progressive liberalism)

However, libertarianism, is, in my opinion, not practical in application in its purest form, because most people are unable to govern themselves with regards to personal responsibility- i.e. drugs etc.- But with regards to charity, i.e. compassion, the government is awful at it. It is nothing but a cold bureaucratic machine that is so large it is a magnet for corruption and failure. People who may really need help have to jump through the bureaucratic loopholes and can be denied help due to earning just a few dollars over a subjective threshold.

Thankfully, Libertarians will never have any political influence on this country

An outshoot of the John Birch Society, they present ideals that most Americans find offensive

Libertarians have always had political influence- conservatism was born within libertarian minded individuals since the founding of this nation.

However, libertarianism, is, in my opinion, not practical in application in its purest form, because most people are unable to govern themselves with regards to personal responsibility- i.e. drugs etc.-
"Most" people are unable to govern themselves? Do you really believe that?

Libertarians have always had political influence- conservatism was born within libertarian minded individuals since the founding of this nation.

John Birch Society Part II

That's pretty lame. What you are in essence saying is that you can only show compassion via government? Government is not compassionate- people are. Government sucks at compassion.

Libertarianism as an ideological standard is the absolute perfect place to start when creating legislation- It has its foundation rooted in personal liberty- It is the birth place of Classical Liberalism (not social progressive liberalism)

However, libertarianism, is, in my opinion, not practical in application in its purest form, because most people are unable to govern themselves with regards to personal responsibility- i.e. drugs etc.- But with regards to charity, i.e. compassion, the government is awful at it. It is nothing but a cold bureaucratic machine that is so large it is a magnet for corruption and failure. People who may really need help have to jump through the bureaucratic loopholes and can be denied help due to earning just a few dollars over a subjective threshold.

Charity is fine for local issues. For major economic and natural disasters, only the government can handle the burden. Private charity also has massive overhead as much of their efforts must be spent fundraising

However, libertarianism, is, in my opinion, not practical in application in its purest form, because most people are unable to govern themselves with regards to personal responsibility- i.e. drugs etc.-

A question arises from that sentiment: If people can't be trusted to govern themselves, then why can they be trusted to govern others?

I do believe I clarified my statement- but perhaps I could have been more wordy?. If every man lived on an island unto himself and had no interactions with others- then I imagine he would have no need of laws. But that is not the case now is it? Even drug use impacts others within a society. This is why we have laws and government.

Forum List

Back