BBQ, here France it is pretty boring !

This is my latest pit. And my oldest.....
This thing was a wood hog!!!
The new Lang is the SHIT!!!!!

I got too old to sit up nights tending a fire so I got myself a pellet rig and am really happy with it. I found a good home for my old stuff and got a younger guy started off in the right direction.

I'm from the KISS no wrapping or messin around school. Rub it, smoke it and eat it. It ain't rocket science.

Yep....
I will say that as a member of many BBQ message boards the yankees are finally catching on to real BBQ.

I dunno. If I was gonna have a bbq, I'd take a Memphis bbq over a Texas bbq any day of the week.

They dont know diddly squat about cookin Q so they gotta smear sugary goop all over their meat so it can be choked down.

Well, one day I would like to have at home at Lyon or in Normandy all the cowboys for a real western BBQ evening. LOL

View attachment 275398

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Well first ya gotta know that barbeque and grilling are different things. Barbeque is cooking things at low temperatures for a long time and smoke is usually involved (not always) while grilling involves hot fires, high temperatures and cooking things fast.
Pork shoulder and beef brisket are tough cuts so benifit from barbeque that takes long hours to cook while more tender beef steaks benifit from grilling that requires only minutes.

Yep....
I will say that as a member of many BBQ message boards the yankees are finally catching on to real BBQ.

Well as I'm a southern boy from Carolina country, I have barbeque included in my genetic code.

Yall are coded to pork no doubt!
I love the different sauces used in the Carolinas for pork!!
Being a Texan we look to the perfect cooked brisket,no rub other than S and P, and no sauce.

I can do both and my meat don't need no stinkin sauce either.

Sauce is for rank amatures that need to hide the taste of the crap they cook.

Wanna start a stick burner vs pellet pooper fight? I can play either side.

I got top of the line of both....
My Lang..

IMG_3614.JPG

And my MAK 2 star.....
IMG_2816.JPG

Nothing beats the traditional offset.
You cant get the true taste of BBQ on a pellet pooper.

My favorites are beef skewers:thup:

brochette_boeuf.jpg

Wait.....Hold up!!!!!
You aren't calling that BBQ are you?
Yes, it is pretty good but not cook for long time
This is bbq in Tx-

View attachment 275407

View attachment 275408

View attachment 275409

Ahhhhh...no it's not.
Yes it is, but I understand what you are saying. Unless you haven’t lived outside Tx for awhile, you don’t understand how hard it is to get even a full brisket here, or any bbq place to serve it. I know, a barrel smoker, like you posted is the most common home use for bbq smoking.

Yeah well you should try California some time which is why i had to start cookin my own if I wanted any decent barbeque at all.
Things are looking up for me lately however. My local hang out just a mile away got a real smoker and better yet a kid that has his head screwed on right as a pit master. He actually turns out some decent Q and he's all ears so I dont mind sharing. However I've never seen anyone else chop brisket so there is that. It's his pit so he can do what he wants. I donated a load of oak and sold him my splitter for cheap. The poor kid was swinging a maul so I took pity on him. He was one happy camper and was out there rubbin and cleaning that thing and was grinning from ear to ear. For a minute there, I thought he was gonna break out the wax.

I got too old to sit up nights tending a fire so I got myself a pellet rig and am really happy with it. I found a good home for my old stuff and got a younger guy started off in the right direction.

I'm from the KISS no wrapping or messin around school. Rub it, smoke it and eat it. It ain't rocket science.

Thats why I got the MAK 2 star.
As far as pellet poopers go ya cant beat em.
But they still dont measure up to a real offset.
shopping

My favorites are beef skewers:thup:

brochette_boeuf.jpg

Wait.....Hold up!!!!!
This is bbq in Tx-

View attachment 275407

View attachment 275408

View attachment 275409

Ahhhhh...no it's not.
Yes it is, but I understand what you are saying. Unless you haven’t lived outside Tx for awhile, you don’t understand how hard it is to get even a full brisket here, or any bbq place to serve it. I know, a barrel smoker, like you posted is the most common home use for bbq smoking.

No barrel smokers.
They are way too thin to hold temps.
The fire box and the smoking chamber needs to be at least a 1/4 inch thick steel to hold temps.
My Lang needs at least an hour and 8 splits to reach temp.
Once that happens I can hold whatever temp I want by adding a split every hour and adjusting the vents.
The Lang is incredible....you can hold temps every bit as easy as the MAK 2 star pellet pooper.

Wait.....Hold up!!!!!
This is bbq in Tx-

View attachment 275407

View attachment 275408

View attachment 275409

Ahhhhh...no it's not.

Yeah well you should try California some time which is why i had to start cookin my own if I wanted any decent barbeque at all.
Things are looking up for me lately however. My local hang out just a mile away got a real smoker and better yet a kid that has his head screwed on right as a pit master. He actually turns out some decent Q and he's all ears so I dont mind sharing. However I've never seen anyone else chop brisket so there is that. It's his pit so he can do what he wants. I donated a load of oak and sold him my splitter for cheap. The poor kid was swinging a maul so I took pity on him. He was one happy camper and was out there rubbin and cleaning that thing and was grinning from ear to ear. For a minute there, I thought he was gonna break out the wax.

Wait....?
You didnt insist he break out the wax?
I got six grams in the freezer just waiting. I finally had to tell my weed guy to stop bringing it over.

Wait.....Hold up!!!!!
This is bbq in Tx-

View attachment 275407

View attachment 275408

View attachment 275409

Ahhhhh...no it's not.

No barrel smokers.
The fire box and the smoking chamber needs to be at least a 1/4 inch thick steel to hold temps.
Once that happens I can hold whatever temp I want by adding a split every hour and adjusting the vents.
The Lang is incredible....you can hold temps every bit as easy as the MAK 2 star pellet pooper.
Geesh, I really like you Here, but sometimes you can be annoying when it comes to this stuff. My father taught me how to smoke on a drum/barrel cooker, without a separate firebox, over 50 years ago, and he made the best smoked brisket/chicken/sausage/ribs you ever put in your mouth. I learned from him and do pretty well.
It was similar to this-

upload_2019-8-21_20-38-56.jpeg

Ours just had a wood tray on the front. Everyone said he was the best when it came to smoking. And he was. Not just because he was my dad. Perfect smoke ring on the brisket every time, juicy, tender, and the ribs tender and juicy but not falling off the bone good. He tended to it like a baby.

When I lived in S. France in the sixties certain restaurants had large grills and used charcoal made from fruit trees. I seem to recall they would have some parts of the grill that used indirect heat to cook large pieces of horse meat etc. Could these grills be termed BBQs in the strict sense of the term?

This is bbq in Tx-

View attachment 275407

View attachment 275408

View attachment 275409

Ahhhhh...no it's not.

No barrel smokers.
Geesh, I really like you Here, but sometimes you can be annoying when it comes to this stuff. My father taught me how to smoke on a drum/barrel cooker, without a separate firebox, over 50 years ago, and he made the best smoked brisket/chicken/sausage/ribs you ever put in your mouth. I learned from him and do pretty well.
It was similar to this-

View attachment 275437
Ours just had a wood tray on the front. Everyone said he was the best when it came to smoking. And he was. Not just because he was my dad. Perfect smoke ring on the brisket every time, juicy, tender, and the ribs tender and juicy but not falling off the bone good. He tended to it like a baby.

Just passing on what I've learned over the last 30 plus years.
Four of those years doing competitions.
Go walk around a BBQ competition and see what they're using. There's a reason why they all have heavy wall pits and fireboxes.
They are far more forgiving when it comes to outside influences such as wind and ambient temps,if you let the fire burn to low it doesnt affect your temps for a longer period of time so you can restart with no drop in temps.
Add firebricks and it extends the temps even longer.

When I lived in S. France in the sixties certain restaurants had large grills and used charcoal made from fruit trees. I seem to recall they would have some parts of the grill that used indirect heat to cook large pieces of horse meat etc. Could these grills be termed BBQs in the strict sense of the term?

To a certain extent yes.
The main indicators are smoke,indirect heat,low temps and a tight smoking chamber to hold heat,smoke and moisture.
As well as good airflow so you dont get stale smoke.
Charcoal is not really used other than to start your log splits or to maintain a temp once the meat has smoked enough.

Well first ya gotta know that barbeque and grilling are different things. Barbeque is cooking things at low temperatures for a long time and smoke is usually involved (not always) while grilling involves hot fires, high temperatures and cooking things fast.
Pork shoulder and beef brisket are tough cuts so benifit from barbeque that takes long hours to cook while more tender beef steaks benifit from grilling that requires only minutes.

Yep....

Well as I'm a southern boy from Carolina country, I have barbeque included in my genetic code.

Being a Texan we look to the perfect cooked brisket,no rub other than S and P, and no sauce.

My Lang..

View attachment 275428
And my MAK 2 star.....
View attachment 275430

I do with mine.
It depends a lot on the type of contoller they use. Those PID things don't allow enough smoke to develop any taste.

shopping
Im not familiar with that one. After a lot of research I settled on a Grilla Silverbac. I'm happy with the results.

Yep....

My Lang..

View attachment 275428
And my MAK 2 star.....
View attachment 275430

I do with mine.
It depends a lot on the type of contoller they use. Those PID things don't allow enough smoke to develop any taste.

The smoke profile on a pellet pooper is lacking in my opinion.
They sell all the different pellets but they all taste damn near the same.
I'll use a couple of these on the MAK to give it a bit of a boost in the beginning.
91lvErR4L9L._SR500,500_.jpg

shopping
Im not familiar with that one. After a lot of research I settled on a Grilla Silverbac. I'm happy with the results.

I keep thinking about getting rid of it since I mainly use the Lang offset or the Kamado Joe.
At $2800 bucks it's a pretty pricey finishing oven,which is what I mainly use for these days. I'll smoke a 20lb packer brisket on the Lang for around 8 to 10 hours and then put it on the MAK to finish.The thing holds temps perfectly and It has a remote with temp alarms so I can sleep through the finishing hours.
I feel like I'm cheating every time I do it though.:eusa_shifty:
I'm just getting to damn old for those 20 hour smokes.

Forum List

Back