The 45 day dry aged bone in ribeye.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Who would ever think to eat this ugly beast?
This is the biggest one of two. We ended up with 12 Huge steaks between the two roasts. The majority will be shared between the Wife and I so it's more like thirty steaks.
We saved over $110 bucks doing the aging ourselves and thats if we'd aged them for 28 days,that price goes up exponentially the longer they age.
They have a wonderful nutty smell!!

IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG

Had to set up at a card table after all my hip surgeries since I couldnt stand long enough to do the butchering...and I could watch the Stros in the process.

This is the biggest one of two. We ended up with 12 Huge steaks between the two roasts. The majority will be shared between the Wife and I so it's more like thirty steaks.
We saved over $110 bucks doing the aging ourselves and thats if we'd aged them for 28 days,that price goes up exponentially the longer they age.

View attachment 276577 View attachment 276578 View attachment 276579
Had to set up at a card table after all my hip surgeries since I couldnt stand long enough to do the butchering...and I could watch the Stros in the process.
Dog or Deer?

Dog or Deer?

Dont tell the dogs but it's great dane.
Cant wait to try these steaks,the oldest have been 38 days and those were fantastic!!!
Thankfully I was able to save the majority of the Cap Steak.

Excellent my man.
I'll bring some sides and the bourbon

Have a prime brisket that'll come out after sixty days,fifteen more days at this point.
Yummm
I'm having brisket burgers tonight

I've had some briskets there's just no help for.
They are easy to mess up. That's for sure

They're tough to begin with. I better go get some ice and charge all the phones today. Ooo! I'm gonna get some dry rub stuff, too. Cut me some wood and put it up under the porch.

But, but, but...…...you cut the meat off the bone BEFORE cooking & eating???????? IMO, the bone adds to the flavor

And just what did you do with the bones?????? Dog food I'd bet.

But, but, but...…...you cut the meat off the bone BEFORE cooking & eating???????? IMO, the bone adds to the flavor

And just what did you do with the bones?????? Dog food I'd bet.

The bone protects the meat during the dry aging process,it's not something you'd want to eat. If you remove the bone before aging you'll lose another half inch of meat. And besides,the dry aging does WAY more for the flavor than a bone.

However the Pelicos,the dark dried out outer layer and the bones you save for beef broth,add some to your beef when grinding hamburger.

,the dark dried out outer layer and the bones you save for beef broth,

Good for you...........I would have sworn you'd have given all that to the dogs beforehand.

Oh,they'll get their fair share of the steaks if for no other reason than we cant eat a whole one.

Roast those bones & bits and get some beef feet, if you can & favorite flavoring veggies (garlic, onion, celery stalk & leaves, carrot, etc) till good & brown & smelly. Add plenty of water to cover with some peppercorns, bay leaves and a good splash of ACV......bring it up to heat where the bubbles JUST start to break the surface, then turn it down to keep it at that same level. Eventually there will be a 'scum' that is spooned off & tossed. Let this broth cook 24-48 hours covered till it's reduced by about half.....depending on how big of a pot you're working with & how much you want as a result. Usually when I make broth I do it in a huge pot that holds nearly 10 gallons(?) and I'll let it cook for 2-4 days on the woodstove. The house smells wonderful.

The ACV (apple cider vinegar) will help leach out the collagen & minerals from within the bones and MAY add a twang to the taste of the broth, but shouldn't be too noticeable from the flavor of the broth itself.
Actively boiling the broth pulls out the impurities from the bones and creates a cloudy broth with sediment. If the heat is kept just before the boiling point, the broth should be more clear & less or no sediment.

Also, if you don't want a fatty broth...…..once it's done to your liking, let it cool. Put it in the fridge overnight. The next morning all or most of the fat will have solidified on the top and can then be taken off.

BTW...….just what is your process of dry aging?

,the dark dried out outer layer and the bones you save for beef broth,

Good for you...........I would have sworn you'd have given all that to the dogs beforehand.

Oh,they'll get their fair share of the steaks if for no other reason than we cant eat a whole one.

Roast those bones & bits and get some beef feet, if you can & favorite flavoring veggies (garlic, onion, celery stalk & leaves, carrot, etc) till good & brown & smelly. Add plenty of water to cover with some peppercorns, bay leaves and a good splash of ACV......bring it up to heat where the bubbles JUST start to break the surface, then turn it down to keep it at that same level. Eventually there will be a 'scum' that is spooned off & tossed. Let this broth cook 24-48 hours covered till it's reduced by about half.....depending on how big of a pot you're working with & how much you want as a result. Usually when I make broth I do it in a huge pot that holds nearly 10 gallons(?) and I'll let it cook for 2-4 days on the woodstove. The house smells wonderful.

The ACV (apple cider vinegar) will help leach out the collagen & minerals from within the bones and MAY add a twang to the taste of the broth, but shouldn't be too noticeable from the flavor of the broth itself.
Actively boiling the broth pulls out the impurities from the bones and creates a cloudy broth with sediment. If the heat is kept just before the boiling point, the broth should be more clear & less or no sediment.

Also, if you don't want a fatty broth...…..once it's done to your liking, let it cool. Put it in the fridge overnight. The next morning all or most of the fat will have solidified on the top and can then be taken off.

You really cant use much of the bones or pelico in a dish or broth.
The flavor is way to intense.
I'm going to make more of a Demi-Glace out of it and freeze it in ice trays,then break em out and vacuum seal em into usable portions for broth,soups or stews.

BTW...….just what is your process of dry aging?

Bought a 16 cubic ft refrigerator dedicated to only dry aging so you aren't opening and closing the door all the time keeping the temp stable between 34 and 38 degrees. I can age up to four 15 to 20 lb. primal cuts at a time.
Put a fan in it for extra air circulation a UV light to kill any bacteria and some pink Himalayan salt blocks to also aide in bacteria control.
Bought a humidifier as well but it turned out I didnt need it as the humidity was right in the sweet spot at 75 to 80% without it.
The whole setup was around $800 bucks and I recouped around $200 on my first run so it'll pay for itself after three more.

I also used the UMAi dry aging bags on the first round just to be safe. Going to try naked the next time around.

You're a butcher!

New Topics

Forum List

Back