Baseball Beards

He can have his Tiger hat in the HOF all he wants....We all know where he pitched his best game EVAH! :D

Jack the Count....best splitter in the history of the game.....Vin Scully called his no-no against the Chi Sox with Garagiola.....Vin had seen decades of baseball....said he didn't see how anybody could get a bat on Jack's splitter. We can both deny he ever wore a Blow Jays uni. :cool-45:

636485331994820844-AP-02022106185.jpg

But handlebars are legendary!

cut.jpg

Agreed....I got Rollie laid in a nightclub on a Saturday night one year during spring training.....Sunday morning there was an article in the paper about him and his wife and family.....:lol:

Interestingly enough, I have been trying to convince my kid to grow out his hair to improve his game.

I have done a bit of research in this area as to how it potentially relates to human accomplishment and extra-sensory perception.

A little known fact is that American Indians were employed by the U.S. government during WWII as trackers, but they were required to get the standard issue cut.

Their performance in the field was not as expected, they did not preform any better than the typical Americans.

Yet, when allowed to keep their traditional long hair, they claimed it helped them perceive the signals better. . . .
And once the Army let them keep their traditional cuts, they preformed as the Army expected them too. Mojo, or Mental? :dunno:

So it goes.

I do not, however, have the stats on whether more hair makes a player perform better or not. It would be hard to run a double blind on that. We can only guess if Jordan would have played better with a beard, or if Harden play would suffer should he shave his. . . .

But I am guessing some of the reason these beards are here, is not just fashion. Sports, if you ask these players, is a VERY superstitions and luck oriented thing. If they think it has to do with their success? It isn't going anywhere for now.

Otherwise, who would want to pitch in the summer heat with something like that? Yikes.

I'm old school about this.....I can't stand seeing beards on MLB players. I get it that they are young men, haven't been shaving all that long, and want to see what their beard might look like. Fine. Do it in the offseason where I don't have to look at you. Starting in the 80's, most starting pitchers in MLB didn't shave between starts to look menacing or whatever when they took the mound. Then after the game they've shave off the stubble. Long hair is even worse....watching a guy on the field swinging his hair out of the way like Farrah Fawcett turns my stomach. Kids are watching every move these guys make and they get enough fem signals online and in the government schools...let's keep pro sports....MANLY. Look at Daniel Norris... this fool who's always hurt, pretending he's going to be a star pitcher for the Detroit Tigers....he looks like a homeless bum.
q4yXp98.png

636524877837427589-norris2.jpg

Starting pitchers don't shave on game day not to look menacing, but because they work up a sweat, and a close shave with perspiration stings.

Most of us who played the game were not fashionistas; I suppose you never strapped one on.

Baseball is all about streaks and jinxes....back in the day the fellas either shaved or didn't to get in or out of a streak....hell, guys on a hot streak might not change their skivvies for days....how'd you like to locker next to that?

Starting pitchers don't shave on game day not to look menacing, but because they work up a sweat, and a close shave with perspiration stings.

Most of us who played the game were not fashionistas; I suppose you never strapped one on.

Get the hell out of this thread and keep away from me you piece of shit fraud.

Tissue? I suspected you were a wimp, and now you've proved to be a cowardly one.

I'm old school about this.....I can't stand seeing beards on MLB players. I get it that they are young men, haven't been shaving all that long, and want to see what their beard might look like. Fine. Do it in the offseason where I don't have to look at you. Starting in the 80's, most starting pitchers in MLB didn't shave between starts to look menacing or whatever when they took the mound. Then after the game they've shave off the stubble. Long hair is even worse....watching a guy on the field swinging his hair out of the way like Farrah Fawcett turns my stomach. Kids are watching every move these guys make and they get enough fem signals online and in the government schools...let's keep pro sports....MANLY. Look at Daniel Norris... this fool who's always hurt, pretending he's going to be a star pitcher for the Detroit Tigers....he looks like a homeless bum.
q4yXp98.png

I don't think T-ball counts, wry.

Remember him?
rollie-fingers-mustache.jpg

I just remember that back when he played for the Padres no one else waxed their mustache. Now I guess it's popular again, probably more than a century later.

Actually I forgot what his name was too (found it with a search), not that Rollie Fingers isn't an unusual name.

Here's a pic of him in 2013.
800px-Rollie_Fingers_on_July_12%2C_2013.jpg

(oops, I guess someone posted about him before me)

q4yXp98.png

I don't think T-ball counts, wry.

True, T-Ball used a soft baseball, I forget the name but my older son's T-Ball team which I managed went 20-1. A cup was not necessary.

I'm old enough that my first cup was metal, a loud clang was heard the when the pitcher hit the dirt and short hopped the cup.

I wore the tools of ignorance from 9 until 24. The plastic ones didn't ring but still were painful on the edges.

True, T-Ball used a soft baseball, I forget the name but my older son's T-Ball team which I managed went 20-1. A cup was not necessary.

I'm old enough that my first cup was metal, a loud clang was heard the when the pitcher hit the dirt and short hopped the cup.

I wore the tools of ignorance from 9 until 24. The plastic ones didn't ring but still were painful on the edges.
T-ball is for 4 or 5 year olds, but you didn't even really need a cup in Little League even as a catcher, because they had those front protector things that go down and over the groin area. They don't in professional baseball because it looks unprofessional.

O.k., I have seen pitchers get racked in LL, but it's not super common.

Last edited:

T-ball is for 4 or 5 year olds, but you didn't even really need a cup in Little League even as a catcher, because they had those front protector things that go down and over the groin area. They don't in professional baseball because it looks unprofessional.

I didn't play professional baseball (though I did play against some in winter leagues in San Francisco, some retired and some in the minor leagues) but I caught and wore a cup in Jr. Hi, High School and in amateur wood bat leagues in SF on week ends until I was 24.

Pitchers in the latter leagues could throw hard, but did not necessarily know where the ball would go. Most tossed fastballs with the occasional curve or change up - some would catch too much of the plate when given a pitch out sign.

I didn't play professional baseball (though I did play against some in winter leagues in San Francisco, some retired and some in the minor leagues) but I caught and wore a cup in Jr. Hi, High School and in amateur wood bat leagues in SF on week ends until I was 24.

Pitchers in the latter leagues could throw hard, but did not necessarily know where the ball would go. Most tossed fastballs with the occasional curve or change up - some would catch too much of the plate when given a pitch out sign.
So you're saying you got hit or were scared to get racked by the baseball while batting? I'm not really getting where the cup ties in to all of this.

Forum List

Back