Baseball 2014!

I'm lovin' his .248 batting average :lmao: :laugh:
Neither Ozzie Smith nor Omar Vizquel ever hit much for average.

I'll take their gloves any day.

You know who did hit for average? Cal and Honus Wagner
But Cal had no range. He generally caught what was hit near him, though. He was in the Alan Trammel mold.

Andrelton Simmons has tremendous range.

Who the hell knows how good Wagner was, since none of his competitors may have been any good. Same with people like Tris Speaker.

For early baseball, offense is much easier to qualify than defense.

I'm still pissed about the Robinson Cano deal.

And I'm expecting a protracted drought for the Yankees.

Don't count out the Yankees. They'll be fairly solid this year. You think Jeter's not going out with a bang?

Yes...the BANG of his knee/ankle/back/shoulder exploding. He's been a liability in the field for years now, and unless he's a full-time DH, I don't see him managing even 85 games. 40 year old shortstops just don't hold up. I would not be at all surprised to see NY sign Stephen Drew.
I don't think it's written in stone that Jeter is going to play only at shortstop this year. I could see him at 3rd, outfield, or even at first or DH. I think it would be awesome if he did it. He's one of the only players I can think of who I would never worry about embarrassing me out there, if I was a manager. He knows how to play anywhere on the diamond.

Neither Ozzie Smith nor Omar Vizquel ever hit much for average.

I'll take their gloves any day.

But Cal had no range. He generally caught what was hit near him, though. He was in the Alan Trammel mold.

Who the hell knows how good Wagner was, since none of his competitors may have been any good. Same with people like Tris Speaker.

Cal had no range? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Here are the all time War leaders:
Shortstop JAWS Leaders - Baseball-Reference.com

You'll find Simmons with his adjusted score at 182. Cal's a little higher :laugh:

You'll find Simmons with his adjusted score at 182. Cal's a little higher :laugh:

Not on defense. And he has less power that Cal but that may change in the future.

Don't start me on sabermetrics, my friend. One thing nobody on this board knows about me is that I'm a baseball freak. I will run you under the table with sabermetric stats, both defensive and offensive.

Something no one knows on this board about ME is that I'M a baseball freak!!! I once dressed as a chicken in support of bringing a team to Northern Virginia at a Peter Angelos press conference! Instead I got the Washington Nationals! Which is fine by me! I was at the press conference when the mayor announced that baseball was coming back to D.C.

I remember Jose Vidro, Cristian Guzman, Chad Cordero, Livan Hernandez sadly being our best pitcher, Alfonso Soriano, Nick Johnson, Adam Dunn... I got tickets for Ryan Zimmerman's FIRST game...

You want to battle me on Sabermetric stats? Fine. But I might be too insufferable for that this year as the Nats steadily march towards winning it all :dunno:

Don't start me on sabermetrics, my friend. One thing nobody on this board knows about me is that I'm a baseball freak. I will run you under the table with sabermetric stats, both defensive and offensive.

Something no one knows on this board about ME is that I'M a baseball freak!!! I once dressed as a chicken in support of bringing a team to Northern Virginia at a Peter Angelos press conference! Instead I got the Washington Nationals! Which is fine by me! I was at the press conference when the mayor announced that baseball was coming back to D.C.

I remember Jose Vidro, Cristian Guzman, Chad Cordero, Livan Hernandez sadly being our best pitcher, Alfonso Soriano, Nick Johnson, Adam Dunn... I got tickets for Ryan Zimmerman's FIRST game...

You want to battle me on Sabermetric stats? Fine. But I might be too insufferable for that this year as the Nats steadily march towards winning it all :dunno:

And you believe in the End of Days, too?

Cause it's going to take a miracle.

Not on defense. And he has less power that Cal but that may change in the future.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole when I ask this but...

How can you fucking DARE compare Andrelton whatshisname to Cal Ripken Jr.???

I'll tell you what; Simmons has played 206 games in 2 years of baseball...

After at least 1 mvp, 10 all star appearances, and 1,000 games... THEN you can mention Andrelsbson Blahblahblah in the same sentence as Cal Ripken

But it wouldn't surprise me if that only happened during the end of days :dunno:

Last edited:

Balls that went for hits past Cal were made into outs by Visquel.

You cannot measure a fielder by the balls he didn't reach.

Omar Vizquel was one of my favorite players growing up. He was phenomenal and I won't say anything bad about him.

But you happened upon a thread where I'm a Nats fan trying to bash the Braves...

...and therefore Andrelton Simmons is a boob. Discuss. :eusa_think:

Omar Vizquel was one of my favorite players growing up. He was phenomenal and I won't say anything bad about him.

But you happened upon a thread where I'm a Nats fan trying to bash the Braves...

The Braves are going to win the N.L. East.

I also feel good about the Tigers, Dodgers, Pirates, Rays, San Fran, Orioles, Red Sox.

And I always feel good about the Cubs this time of year. But that usually doesn't last long.

The top fan bases in baseball according to a poll. Looks pretty accurate to me except for the Mets. They suck...but many of their fans seem pretty diehard to me.

This goes pretty far into the land of the subjective, but according to Brand Keys, here are the most loyal and least loyal fan bases around:

Top-5 Teams – 2014

1. St. Louis Cardinals
2. Philadelphia Phillies
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Atlanta Braves
5. San Francisco Giants

Bottom-5 Teams – 2014

30. Houston Astros
29. New York Mets
28. Seattle Mariners
27. Arizona Diamondbacks
26. Colorado Rockie
s

I don't mean to sound like an asshole when I ask this but...

How can you fucking DARE compare Andrelton whatshisname to Cal Ripken Jr.???

I'll tell you what; Simmons has played 206 games in 2 years of baseball...

After at least 1 mvp, 10 all star appearances, and 1,000 games... THEN you can mention Andrelsbson Blahblahblah in the same sentence as Cal Ripken

But it wouldn't surprise me if that only happened during the end of days :dunno:

We are talking about Cal's accomplishments vs Andrelton's potential. If he stays healthy and produces like many of us think he will, he will rate with or better than Cal and behind Honus Wagner.

No one is taking away from Cal. His place is fixed. It is up to Andrelton now.

The Braves are going to win the N.L. East.

I also feel good about the Tigers, Dodgers, Pirates, Rays, San Fran, Orioles, Red Sox.

And I always feel good about the Cubs this time of year. But that usually doesn't last long.

Add if their pitching returns to its class in starting and the batting comes back. They were impressive in the first two games in Chavez Ravine last weekend. Then in yesterday's game, Zack and Hanley and Kemp reminded everyone of what da Bumz are capable of doing. Gonna be a great year. I want to see Strasburg win 20 games this year.

The top fan bases in baseball according to a poll. Looks pretty accurate to me except for the Mets. They suck...but many of their fans seem pretty diehard to me.

This goes pretty far into the land of the subjective, but according to Brand Keys, here are the most loyal and least loyal fan bases around:

Top-5 Teams – 2014

1. St. Louis Cardinals
2. Philadelphia Phillies
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Atlanta Braves
5. San Francisco Giants

Bottom-5 Teams – 2014

30. Houston Astros
29. New York Mets
28. Seattle Mariners
27. Arizona Diamondbacks
26. Colorado Rockie
s

Astros' fans are not mad at the players but at the poor club ownership and decisions. Amazing!

Forum List

Back