Base Closings Hidden Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
rtwngAvngr said:
That's right. Saddam was just a big loveable pussycat who wouldn't hurt a fly. We're mean.
No, Saddam was a brutal dictator whom we supported for our own purposes, then turned on when it became inconvenient. We are sleazy more than mean, and stupid to boot.

mrsx said:
No, Saddam was a brutal dictator whom we supported for our own purposes, then turned on when it became inconvenient. We are sleazy more than mean, and stupid to boot.

I'd say we've learned a lesson in the past few years. We can no longer support dictators to maintain control, because they turn their people against us, fomenting terrorism and providing the terrorists with weapons. We must bring freedom to the oppressed, so they will not fall for the propaganda of their ruiling tyrant. This is the long term solution for world peace. Peace train keep on rolling, ride on the peace train. Get on board, nubbin' boy.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'd say we've learned a lesson in the past few years. We can no longer support dictators to maintain control, because they turn their people against us, fomenting terrorism and providing the terrorists with weapons. We must bring freedom to the oppressed, so they will not fall for the propaganda of their ruiling tyrant. This is the long term solution for world peace. Peace train keep on rolling, ride on the peace train. Get on board, nubbin' boy.

You are so right! The problem is, we're still up to the same old tricks. Check out our new "allies" in:
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgystan
and, of course, my favorite - Pakistan

And that's just Central Asia for starters. How about Putin in Russia - Bushman looked into his eyes and saw his soul, remember? BTW when Putin looked into Bush's eyes, he saw the back of his head!

Sir Evil said:
Stupidity is the epitome of your posts, What the government does it quite necessary most of the times with what you are saying.

I just bet Saddam is like "I can't believe they turned on me", what do you think it is some sort of meaningful relationship of some sort? Get a grip! :rolleyes:

This duel of wits with an unarmed opponent has gone on long enough. Go finish that GED, get some sort of factual grip and come back later. Bye

mrsx said:
This duel of wits with an unarmed opponent has gone on long enough. Go finish that GED, get some sort of factual grip and come back later. Bye

:smoke: The the brightest comment you've left. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
:smoke: The the brightest comment you've left. :laugh:
Ah, another lurking looser. Well, Kathianne, what'll it be? First Grendel and now Grendel's Mommy. For the laughter of fools is as the crackling of thorns under the pot. Did you have anything more in defense of your stumbling little brother, or is this childish sarcasm to be your epitaph as well?

mrsx said:
You are so right! The problem is, we're still up to the same old tricks. Check out our new "allies" in:
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgystan
and, of course, my favorite - Pakistan

And that's just Central Asia for starters. How about Putin in Russia - Bushman looked into his eyes and saw his soul, remember? BTW when Putin looked into Bush's eyes, he saw the back of his head!

I believe deposing all tyrants at once would overextend our resources. Something I know you understand. You and your negativism, jeesh. Your brand of isolationism is suiciede. Why do you hate america?

mrsx said:
Ah, another lurking looser. Well, Kathianne, what'll it be? First Grendel and now Grendel's Mommy. For the laughter of fools is as the crackling of thorns under the pot. Did you have anything more in defense of your stumbling little brother, or is this childish sarcasm to be your epitaph as well?
You are the most immature one on these boards, so if I were you, I wouldn't be throwing stones. Grow up a bit and learn how to debate without the childish attitude. You're gonna end up banned - AGAIN!

rtwngAvngr said:
I believe deposing all tyrants at once would overextend our resources. Something I know you understand. You and your negativism, jeesh. Your brand of isolationism is suiciede. Why do you hate america?

I don't hate America. It has never crossed my mind that you would hate America. I see honest differences politely exchanged - something for which I give credit to you most gratefully - as one of the greatest strenghts and most admired aspects of our shared country. When I see the way in which I am called childish names for expressing views with which some posters here disagree, it makes me sad. Two generations of dummied-down public education have brought us to this.

Now, as to deposing all tyrants at once, I quite agree with you. Politics is the art of the possible just as much internationally as domestically. In fact, I'm probably less interested in deposing tyrants as you are. I strongly disagree with Bush's statements that only by spreading democracy abroad can we be safe at home. Obviously, some of our most important foreign friends such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are not democratic in our sense. We have strong common interests with them and must work cooperatively. Unfortunately we are not good at this sort of thing and have a long, sad history of getting mixed up with bad guys far beyond what our national interest requires.

Before 9/11 it was Bush and the Republicans who were taking this line while blasting Clinton for getting involved in Somalia and Bosnia. "9/11 changed everything" became a thoughtless mantra and the administration swung wildly to the other extreme - at least rhetorically, if not in practice (mum's the word on the Pakis and Saudis).

Since we agree that trying to overthrow all tyrants at once is a poor strategy, cannot we also agree that building alliances with existing democracies should be a goal of our policies? Our relations with Western European democracies have been needlessly damaged. Sending Bolton to the U.N. will add insult to injury, IMHO. Our treatment of France and Germany, both of whom have far more successful experience fighting international Islamist terrorism than we, seems to me to have much the same boorishness as is shown by posters on this BBS who call me names and pontificate negatively about my arguments without offering factual or logical refutation.

I just ended an extended exchange with a poster who typifies the difficulty of having a discussion of our country's policies with the heat-not-light Republican right. As I look back over the thread, it occurs to me that you would have done a much better job of defending Iraq bases and the policies of Reagan, Bush & Co. It could have been a lot more interesting and I might have learned something. Now, we are down to lurkers who added nothing to the discussion but try to feel better by sarcastic name calling once their guy has thrown in the towel. And to think she, like me, is a school teacher. Very sad indeed.

mrsx said:
Before 9/11 it was Bush and the Republicans who were taking this line while blasting Clinton for getting involved in Somalia and Bosnia.

point of order:

The smart people were blasting Clinton for being a DUMBASS in how he got involved - placing OUR Troops under foriegn command. That sorta thing. Having no 'departure' plan....yeah..those things. Not for 'getting involved' - but for 'being a dumbass in the limitations he imposed'.

-=d=- said:
point of order:

The smart people were blasting Clinton for being a DUMBASS in how he got involved - placing OUR Troops under foriegn command. That sorta thing. Having no 'departure' plan....yeah..those things. Not for 'getting involved' - but for 'being a dumbass in the limitations he imposed'.
Furthermore, the misses misses the fact that it was Bush Sr. that first sent troops to Somalia. We only got upset when Clinton got em killed.

mrsx said:
... And to think she, like me, is a school teacher. Very sad indeed.
Hmmm your believability is about ZERO. You originally said you were a retired Navy officer...son died in the mid sixties...blah blah blah... It definitely calls into question everything else you assert as being truth...and your opinions as being correct!

mrsx said:
I don't hate America. It has never crossed my mind that you would hate America. I see honest differences politely exchanged - something for which I give credit to you most gratefully - as one of the greatest strenghts and most admired aspects of our shared country. When I see the way in which I am called childish names for expressing views with which some posters here disagree, it makes me sad. Two generations of dummied-down public education have brought us to this.

Now, as to deposing all tyrants at once, I quite agree with you. Politics is the art of the possible just as much internationally as domestically. In fact, I'm probably less interested in deposing tyrants as you are. I strongly disagree with Bush's statements that only by spreading democracy abroad can we be safe at home. Obviously, some of our most important foreign friends such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are not democratic in our sense. We have strong common interests with them and must work cooperatively. Unfortunately we are not good at this sort of thing and have a long, sad history of getting mixed up with bad guys far beyond what our national interest requires.

Before 9/11 it was Bush and the Republicans who were taking this line while blasting Clinton for getting involved in Somalia and Bosnia. "9/11 changed everything" became a thoughtless mantra and the administration swung wildly to the other extreme - at least rhetorically, if not in practice (mum's the word on the Pakis and Saudis).

Since we agree that trying to overthrow all tyrants at once is a poor strategy, cannot we also agree that building alliances with existing democracies should be a goal of our policies? Our relations with Western European democracies have been needlessly damaged. Sending Bolton to the U.N. will add insult to injury, IMHO. Our treatment of France and Germany, both of whom have far more successful experience fighting international Islamist terrorism than we, seems to me to have much the same boorishness as is shown by posters on this BBS who call me names and pontificate negatively about my arguments without offering factual or logical refutation.

I just ended an extended exchange with a poster who typifies the difficulty of having a discussion of our country's policies with the heat-not-light Republican right. As I look back over the thread, it occurs to me that you would have done a much better job of defending Iraq bases and the policies of Reagan, Bush & Co. It could have been a lot more interesting and I might have learned something. Now, we are down to lurkers who added nothing to the discussion but try to feel better by sarcastic name calling once their guy has thrown in the towel. And to think she, like me, is a school teacher. Very sad indeed.

The western europeans think and behave like selfish childgren. They have been able to act this way because we've been protecting their sorry asses.

They imperiled too, by islamic jihad, yet they still would rather bitch at america.

They are so jealous of the u.s.'s global leadership, as contrasted with their blooming inefficacy, that their willing to force their populations to accept the hateful jihadis amongst them to appease the mullahs. You know all this is true. Screw them.

CSM said:
Hmmm your believability is about ZERO. You originally said you were a retired Navy officer...son died in the mid sixties...blah blah blah... It definitely calls into question everything else you assert as being truth...and your opinions as being correct!

I left nursing in the big round of lay-offs in the 1980's. Because of my B.S. degree I was eligible for a one-year M.A.T. program through which I became a certified biology teacher. I taught middle-school life sciences until I retired (manditory at 67). I've learned a lot in life. I don't think my resume validates my opinions, I think facts and logic do. The childish personal attacks with which you greet any opinion but your own do not reflect credit on you. Why do you hate and fear someone who disagrees with you? At the worst, I'm simply wrong. You can try to show me the error of my ways and, if that doesn't work, move on. But no, you have to call names, make silly, sarcastic slurs and attempt the politics of personal destruction. These traits reflect the insecurities of the authoritarian personality. I'll re-post, because it is so apropos, the following observation:
"The reason you find an army of right-wingers ratcheting on the radio and so few liberals is simple: Republicans are in need of affirmation, they don't feel comfortable in America and they crave listening to people who think like them. Liberals actually enoy living in a free society; tuning in to hear an echo is not our idea of a good time."

rtwngAvngr said:
The western europeans think and behave like selfish childgren. They have been able to act this way because we've been protecting their sorry asses.

They imperiled too, by islamic jihad, yet they still would rather bitch at america.

They are so jealous of the u.s.'s global leadership, as contrasted with their blooming inefficacy, that their willing to force their populations to accept the hateful jihadis amongst them to appease the mullahs. You know all this is true. Screw them.

Since you offer no supporting evidence for your simplistic and sweeping characterization of Western europeans, there isn't much to say about it except that I do not share your view.

mrsx said:
I left nursing in the big round of lay-offs in the 1980's. Because of my B.S. degree I was eligible for a one-year M.A.T. program through which I became a certified biology teacher. I taught middle-school life sciences until I retired (manditory at 67). I've learned a lot in life. I don't think my resume validates my opinions, I think facts and logic do. The childish personal attacks with which you greet any opinion but your own do not reflect credit on you. Why do you hate and fear someone who disagrees with you? At the worst, I'm simply wrong. You can try to show me the error of my ways and, if that doesn't work, move on. But no, you have to call names, make silly, sarcastic slurs and attempt the politics of personal destruction. These traits reflect the insecurities of the authoritarian personality. I'll re-post, because it is so apropos, the following observation:
"The reason you find an army of right-wingers ratcheting on the radio and so few liberals is simple: Republicans are in need of affirmation, they don't feel comfortable in America and they crave listening to people who think like them. Liberals actually enoy living in a free society; tuning in to hear an echo is not our idea of a good time."

No. the appeal of right wing radio is it's a nice alternative to the leftist dogma of the rest of the media.

mrsx said:
Since you offer no supporting evidence for your simplistic and sweeping characterization of Western europeans, there isn't much to say about it except that I do not share your view.

Sweeping and true. There are many possible rebuttals. You could say they're not childish, citing the wisdonm of their appeasement mentality. OR you could assert that they're NOT jealous of the U.S. Position in the world and the low nature of the envy this fact instills in them.

You really wussed out on this one. You know my generalizations are dead on. You lose.

freeandfun1 said:
You are the most immature one on these boards, so if I were you, I wouldn't be throwing stones. Grow up a bit and learn how to debate without the childish attitude. You're gonna end up banned - AGAIN!

Again with the adjectives rather than evidence! I don't fear being banned; it is an honor totalitarians pay to those who think for themselves. You haven't converted a person because you have silenced her. And you call yourself an American! Shame on you!

I don't know what you think you mean by saying I will be banned AGAIN. This seems to be part of a collective delusion in NAMGLA about a person called Wayne. I am not Wayne, have never been Wayne and have never posted on this BBS under any other name but mrsx. Paranoia, conspiracy theories, personal attacks, threats, fear of any who do not echo your views - come on, fellas, get a grip.

mrsx said:
Again with the adjectives rather than evidence! I don't fear being banned; it is an honor totalitarians pay to those who think for themselves. You haven't converted a person because you have silenced her. And you call yourself an American! Shame on you!

I don't know what you think you mean by saying I will be banned AGAIN. This seems to be part of a collective delusion in NAMGLA about a person called Wayne. I am not Wayne, have never been Wayne and have never posted on this BBS under any other name but mrsx. Paranoia, conspiracy theories, personal attacks, threats, fear of any who do not echo your views - come on, fellas, get a grip.

Knock it off wade! You could reply reasonably to my last condemnation of the european appeasement attitude. Yet you choose not to, because you know I'm right.

mrsx said:

Mrs. X, you need to get the grip. You are a crotchety old lady that is upset because your kids don't visit you anymore. You need to get on with life and stop acting like such a whining bitch. Your opinions are just that - opinions. If others want to offer alternative opinions, they should be able to without you acting like you are the only one with any answers. You cite bullshit and claim it as fact. For an old fart, you really need to mature.

And as for wade, once again you misrepresent yourself. In another thread you admitted to being Wade, yet here you claim you are not. So blame yourself if anybody is "confused".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back