Base Closings Hidden Problems

Discussion in 'Military' started by NATO AIR, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    interesting argument

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    it can be as easily called "pork" as the absurdly packed Highway and Transporation bills. I wish some one could point out what it really is and that is financing the campaigns of politicians who are attempting to buy votes with federal taxpayers' money.

3. mrsx

mrsx Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that after the Pentagon awarded the new Marine One contract to General Dynamics over Sikorsky (a Conn. firm), the government of South Korea announced it would by 3 of these billion-dollar-a-copy whirlybirds from Sikorsky. This is going to move a lot of people in the Nutmeg State to buy Hundai cars. I wonder what would happen if Japan ordered a nuclear sub from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard?

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Our military's mission is to defend this country. Not provide economic benefits to Americans. Straight, and to the point.

These base closures are looooooooong overdue. The make-up and mission of our military has changed, and we need to streamline our military make-up. I am not sure why so many can't see that putting the defense and preparedness of our military is the MOST important of ALL issues.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I realize that, especially being in the Navy where a number of these bases are outdated for the mission we have today and in the future.

However, at least with the reserve armories, a number of good arguments against closing those like this one in the thread have me thinking.

6. mrsx

mrsx Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you from first hand experience what the reaction of a lot of people in Maine to the three major closings (over 7,000) jobs in this small, not too rich state is so far. Politics: we don't have a Republican governor and our two senators are moderate women who have been trying to avoid a train wreck over the "nuclear option" in the Senate. New Hampshire (the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is on the river that divides the two states) has a Democratic governor and, like Maine, went for Kerry last time around. The NH congressional delegation is all Republican, but again they are northeastern moderates - none too popular with DeLay and his ilk (I love that word, ilk).
    Porstmouth is our premier facility for working on nuclear subs. Just last Wednesday, the Navy gave them an award for being the best facility of their type - cheapest, fastest, highest quality work of any Navy shipyard doing nuclear work. Washington just made a whole lot more Democrat voters up here!

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Aww. No pork for the obstructionists. So sad. well. that's the way the bacon sizzles.

Hey Wade!

8. mrsx

mrsx Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose so. At least there will be plenty of chittlins for you red necks. How did you figure out that it was me? You don't look that bright.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Your high, yet misguided, intelligence and penchant for wrapping liberal crap in your own brand of faux patriotism.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. mrsx

mrsx Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Calling me a liberal is as far off the mark as would be my calling you a fascist. If there is any Liberal party in this country (small government, unrestrained free-market, personal freedom) it would be the northern wing of the Republican party (Jeffords, Gregg, Collins). In fact, farther off the mark. What seems like high intelligence to you just seems like common sense to the rest of us. Keep plugging away, even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.