Banned for life

What a couple of fucking idiots. They are lucky they didn't just get hooked up and hauled off.

Last edited:
I can see where they were being idiots with the police. I'm not sure about the legality of banning them from filming though I can also see where it could have to do with Homeland Security.

But when confronted by the police, by all means co-operate. You can always handle it later if they are wrong.

I can see where they were being idiots with the police. I'm not sure about the legality of banning them from filming though I can also see where it could have to do with Homeland Security.

But when confronted by the police, by all means co-operate. You can always handle it later if they are wrong.

What's happened to our society where people feel it's their fucking duty to confront LEO over EVERYTHING?

I truly wish they would give indemnity to LEO from being sued for any action. Let some people start getting the shit beat out of them for fighting back and shit for awhile. Bet it would stop.

I mean I can't imagine WHY LEO a government wouldn't want their transportation systems filmed and would want to know who is trying to do so.

Create an organization HLS, create an atmosphere of fear, and this is the result. Anyone with a cell phone could walk through the place filming anything. But rules are rules and while stupid and invasive, they should have asked for the legal reason and law, and then contacted the ACLU if the issue was important. This is funny to me as I have photographed to and from the Frankford Elevated, and sections of the Broad street subway often. I used to do street photography with a Leica and loved the cityscape and its people.

garry winogrand photography - Google Search

What a couple of fucking idiots. They are lucky they didn't just get hooked up and hauled off.

Does this mean you think police have a blanket right to break the law? Because they checked in advance, talked to the man responsible for making decisions about where people can film, and were 100% in the right and legally filming. Yet you think cops get to decide the law on the spur of the moment? Why don't we just trash the Constitution completely and make things up as we go along? It would sure save a lot of money with not having to bother with courts and laws and ridiculous stuff like that.

What's happened to our society where people feel it's their fucking duty to confront LEO over EVERYTHING?

I truly wish they would give indemnity to LEO from being sued for any action. Let some people start getting the shit beat out of them for fighting back and shit for awhile. Bet it would stop.

I mean I can't imagine WHY LEO a government wouldn't want their transportation systems filmed and would want to know who is trying to do so.

They answered all the questions, and complied with the law. What else are they supposed to do? What if the police decided that they wanted to block off access to your house? Would you simply accept it and walk away because they are cops and always right?

They answered all the questions, and complied with the law. What else are they supposed to do? What if the police decided that they wanted to block off access to your house? Would you simply accept it and walk away because they are cops and always right?

conhogg & crew bend over to anyone with a badge

Does this mean you think police have a blanket right to break the law? Because they checked in advance, talked to the man responsible for making decisions about where people can film, and were 100% in the right and legally filming. Yet you think cops get to decide the law on the spur of the moment? Why don't we just trash the Constitution completely and make things up as we go along? It would sure save a lot of money with not having to bother with courts and laws and ridiculous stuff like that.

Bullshit QW, read the article

After several phone calls that were never returned, yesterday morning at about 11:30 I finally made contact with the company’s president, John Williams. His interpretation of “30b” and his willingness to trust MDT passengers when they tell his security guards why they’re making pictures was as different from Mr. Muntan’s as day is from night… as fire is from ice… as love is from hate… as steak is from eggs… um, well, you get the picture.

Mr. Williams stated, “All we would know is what you tell us and we would not stand by that. We would ask you to identify yourself and if you didn’t have a permit we would ask you to leave. In fact… you would have to leave or we would notify law enforcement of the situation. We would need approval from the county, a form that the county provides us.” He went on to say that anyone who does not have that form would be prevented from making photographs on MDT property.

Hmmm… a conundrum…

After speaking with Mr. Williams, it seemed to me that the only way to get to the bottom of the situation and to really understand what rights a MDT passenger has or does not have with regard to photography was to head to a nearby metro station, make some photos, and see what would happen.

Though I hoped to make photographs in and around the Douglas Road metro stop to send to my lovely wife in Richmond and to use in my report, and to then be on my merry way, I prepared for the worst. If Mr. Williams’ people were trained as he said they were, rather than as Mr. Muntan said they should be, then there was a decent chance that I would be arrested while making my pictures and go to jail. So I took a few precautions:

The President of the company told him , if you don't have a permit the police will be called, he chose to test that. He found out that the President of the company was correct

As for why they have the policy, it should be obvious to you.

The guy asked twice if he was being detained. The police officer only said "I'm asking you for your ID". She was out of bounds. Once you ask if you are being detained, they have to answer the question, if they don't, you have the right to walk away, ask any lawyer.

The guy asked twice if he was being detained. The police officer only said "I'm asking you for your ID". She was out of bounds. Once you ask if you are being detained, they have to answer the question, if they don't, you have the right to walk away, ask any lawyer.

always carry an aclu bust card and follow its instructions. most cops will stumble and shut the fuck up once they raelize you know your rights. they prey on the weak and get their balls off to it

Know Your Rights: What To Do If You're Stopped By Police, Immigration Agents or the FBI | American Civil Liberties Union

She wasn't out of bounds. The cops can ask you for your ID all day long. Doesn't mean you have to give it to them, but they are not out of bounds for asking; and yes he could have just walked away, but obviously he intended to have a confrontation with LEO. That's quite clear if you read the article.

I did read the article, and watched the videos, and listened to the recordings.

Mr. Muntan shared with me that his first concern is for the safety and security of Metrorail’s passengers, but he also expressed a sincere appreciation for the fact that some people, for one reason or another, will want to make photographs of the metro trains and facilities and that MDT needs to accommodate these folks. To this end, Mr. Muntan said, “We bend over backward to accommodate any type of media request that we can. Heck, we’ve shut down the system for Burn Notice and we did Bad Boyz II down here.” He explained that while commercial photography on Metrorail property is prohibited without a permit, there is no such prohibition against photography that is personal, journalistic, or, in his words, “Johnny Tourist” photography. When I asked him how his officers distinguish between commercial photography and personal photography, he said, “If you tell us that you’re not using the pictures for commercial work and they’re (for) personal use, at that point in time the security officers, and/or the MDT representative should feel that his question is answered and at that point you’re free to take pictures until the next train comes or whatever.” (The irony of this statement will hit you as you continue to read…) Here is the recording of our conversation, edited for brevity and clarity:
Telephone Interview with Miami-Dade Transit Chief of Security Eric Muntan

The guy who is actually in charge of security for the whole line, not the idiot in charge of a private security force, told him the guidelines for photography. He also explained that Florida law said that photography is legal and legit, and only asked that any commercial photography be cleared first. He even pointed out that they are willing to shut down the whole freaking line to accommodate commercial filming. Since he is the person who is ultimately responsible for both safety and making sure he that the transit system complies with the law I am pretty sure he got it right.

After several phone calls that were never returned, yesterday morning at about 11:30 I finally made contact with the company’s president, John Williams. His interpretation of “30b” and his willingness to trust MDT passengers when they tell his security guards why they’re making pictures was as different from Mr. Muntan’s as day is from night… as fire is from ice… as love is from hate… as steak is from eggs… um, well, you get the picture.

Mr. Williams stated, “All we would know is what you tell us and we would not stand by that. We would ask you to identify yourself and if you didn’t have a permit we would ask you to leave. In fact… you would have to leave or we would notify law enforcement of the situation. We would need approval from the county, a form that the county provides us.” He went on to say that anyone who does not have that form would be prevented from making photographs on MDT property.

Hmmm… a conundrum…

After speaking with Mr. Williams, it seemed to me that the only way to get to the bottom of the situation and to really understand what rights a MDT passenger has or does not have with regard to photography was to head to a nearby metro station, make some photos, and see what would happen.

Though I hoped to make photographs in and around the Douglas Road metro stop to send to my lovely wife in Richmond and to use in my report, and to then be on my merry way, I prepared for the worst. If Mr. Williams’ people were trained as he said they were, rather than as Mr. Muntan said they should be, then there was a decent chance that I would be arrested while making my pictures and go to jail. So I took a few precautions:

The President of the company told him , if you don't have a permit the police will be called, he chose to test that. He found out that the President of the company was correct

The president of that company is an idiot. If you read the article and followed the links you will see that the previous security company, Wackenhut, got fired for doing exactly what he said would happen. You think that that fact would make a difference when the new security company, but they are apparently to stupid to understand that the law takes precedence over their petty rules. You seem to have that in common with them.

Do I understand their concerns? Yes, but I don't care, because the rights of the people and the law trump their concerns.

EVERY
SINGLE
TIME

I'm sorry, I guess people who were raised to respect the law and those of us that follow the law (if you don't count jaywalking and a little speeding) are just total idiots. I guess last time I got pulled over I should have argued with the Officer instead of cooperating. That way I would have been sure to get a ticket or hauled off to jail instead of getting a verbal warning.

I think I'll continue to show the law all due respect. After all, they are not the enemy. At least not mine.

She wasn't out of bounds. The cops can ask you for your ID all day long. Doesn't mean you have to give it to them, but they are not out of bounds for asking; and yes he could have just walked away, but obviously he intended to have a confrontation with LEO. That's quite clear if you read the article.

No he did not, the other guy did. The guy behind the camera is a reporter, and was there to record whatever happened and write about it.

I did read the article, and watched the videos, and listened to the recordings.

Mr. Muntan shared with me that his first concern is for the safety and security of Metrorail’s passengers, but he also expressed a sincere appreciation for the fact that some people, for one reason or another, will want to make photographs of the metro trains and facilities and that MDT needs to accommodate these folks. To this end, Mr. Muntan said, “We bend over backward to accommodate any type of media request that we can. Heck, we’ve shut down the system for Burn Notice and we did Bad Boyz II down here.” He explained that while commercial photography on Metrorail property is prohibited without a permit, there is no such prohibition against photography that is personal, journalistic, or, in his words, “Johnny Tourist” photography. When I asked him how his officers distinguish between commercial photography and personal photography, he said, “If you tell us that you’re not using the pictures for commercial work and they’re (for) personal use, at that point in time the security officers, and/or the MDT representative should feel that his question is answered and at that point you’re free to take pictures until the next train comes or whatever.” (The irony of this statement will hit you as you continue to read…) Here is the recording of our conversation, edited for brevity and clarity:
Telephone Interview with Miami-Dade Transit Chief of Security Eric Muntan

The guy who is actually in charge of security for the whole line, not the idiot in charge of a private security force, told him the guidelines for photography. He also explained that Florida law said that photography is legal and legit, and only asked that any commercial photography be cleared first. He even pointed out that they are willing to shut down the whole freaking line to accommodate commercial filming. Since he is the person who is ultimately responsible for both safety and making sure he that the transit system complies with the law I am pretty sure he got it right.

Hmmm… a conundrum…

The president of that company is an idiot. If you read the article and followed the links you will see that the previous security company, Wackenhut, got fired for doing exactly what he said would happen. You think that that fact would make a difference when the new security company, but they are apparently to stupid to understand that the law takes precedence over their petty rules. You seem to have that in common with them.

Do I understand their concerns? Yes, but I don't care, because the rights of the people and the law trump their concerns.

EVERY
SINGLE
TIME

You are correct. My right to feel safe trumps that fucking assholes right to challenge a policy that anyone with a brain knows has been in place since 9/12/2001. Don't like it? Too fucking bad, what is with everyone having to challenge everything? Go get a fucking permit, take less than an hour I bet. This moron KNEW he was probably going to be arrested.

Sounds like he doesn't realize that rail systems are a prime terrorist target.

Someone taking pictures there would raise suspicions that he is a terrorist ,

He pushed it and got what he deserved.

I'm sorry, I guess people who were raised to respect the law and those of us that follow the law (if you don't count jaywalking and a little speeding) are just total idiots. I guess last time I got pulled over I should have argued with the Officer instead of cooperating. That way I would have been sure to get a ticket or hauled off to jail instead of getting a verbal warning.

I think I'll continue to show the law all due respect. After all, they are not the enemy. At least not mine.

I have no real problem with cops who know the law and follow it, but they need to follow the law. It is not illegal to shoot photos in public in the United States, SCOTUS has ruled that and I expect police to let me exercise my rights.

Forum List

Back