Bankrupt the coal industry

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
[youtube]Hdi4onAQBWQ[/youtube]

Let me sort of describe my overall policy.

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

I was the first to call for a 100% auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter. That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants that are being built, that they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted down caps that are being placed, imposed every year.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.
It's just that it will bankrupt them.

What?

We get half of our electricity from coal. BHO does not want nuclear power. This means we can expect huge hikes in our electric bills if BHO gets his way

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

I was the first to call for a 100% auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter. That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants that are being built, that they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted down caps that are being placed, imposed every year.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

What?

We get half of our electricity from coal. BHO does not want nuclear power. This means we can expect huge hikes in our electric bills if BHO gets his way

So where exactly does it say that he's going to hurt existing coal power plants?

What?

OR... we can expect huge investment in the infrastructure to produce cleaner electric power to offset the costs of high-carbon output production.

There are only 2 reasons a business pursues research - competition or direction from the people who give them a monopoly.

Perfect? Hardly!

Better? I think so!

-Joe

Besides coal mining industries don't build coal power plants. Multi-billion dollar corporations do. This is yet another right wing distortion of an interview Obama gave. What new interview do we get to hear tomorrow when Obama is talking about his Christian faith and because he's talking about how much he loves his faith, the Republicans are going to accuse him of being an anti-semite? This is ridiculous.

OR... we can expect huge investment in the infrastructure to produce cleaner electric power to offset the costs of high-carbon output production.

There are only 2 reasons a business pursues research - competition or direction from the people who give them a monopoly.

Perfect? Hardly!

Better? I think so!

-Joe

BHO's cap and trade is a clone of the Gore carbon credit scam.

Existing coal plants will have to bid up huge amounts to buy the "credits" they need to run without fines. New coal plants will be bankrupted. What that means is double, triple or even quadruple electric bill for the next how many years until all this new infrastructure is built and up and running.

oh btw didn't you know we are headed for a recession. Not only does BHO want to raise taxes on businesses he wants to make it more expensive for you to live.

good plan

Besides coal mining industries don't build coal power plants. Multi-billion dollar corporations do. This is yet another right wing distortion of an interview Obama gave. What new interview do we get to hear tomorrow when Obama is talking about his Christian faith and because he's talking about how much he loves his faith, the Republicans are going to accuse him of being an anti-semite? This is ridiculous.

If no one builds new coal plants and the existing coal plants become obsolete and too expensive to upgrade because of the cap and trade, they too will close and there goes the entire industry

And what is distorting about quoting someone's exact words?

More silly scare tactics from the right.

Thank God, this will end on Tuesday.

Mac supports cap and trade, too, we've got a consistent liberal running against an incoherent one, the GOP has no balls, and they're not getting anywhere with the current Democrat-lite strategy

More silly scare tactics from the right.

Thank God, this will end on Tuesday.

I love how you Dimmies call a direct quote of the chosen ones very words in his own voice a scare tactic.

Excuse me if I am not a sheep and will not just stand doe eyed with loving admiration for BHO.

Listen to what he says. You tell me, did he mean it? Is he lying? Do you think that he won't do what he says?

Last edited:
Mac supports cap and trade, too, we've got a consistent liberal running against an incoherent one, the GOP has no balls, and they're not getting anywhere with the current Democrat-lite strategy

not a big JM fan but at least he supports nuke power

I love how you Dimmies call a direct quote of the chosen ones very words in his own voice a scare tactic.

Excuse me if I am not a sheep and just stand doe eyed with loving admiration for BHO.

Listen to what he says. You tell me, did he mean it? Is he lying? Do you think that he won't do what he says?

No pol does what he says.

But Obama is not going to bankrupt coal companies.

It reminds me of the time someone told me that Bush Sr. was going to let U.N. troops occupy America.

No pol does what he says.

But Obama is not going to bankrupt coal companies.

It reminds me of the time someone told me that Bush Sr. was going to let U.N. troops occupy America.

Ah so you will vote for him, defend him and criticize people who don't even though you don't believe he is telling the truth.

That's conviction

We'd best do something about coal fired energy plants because they are raining down mercury on the east coast.

Seriously, thanks to BushII who rewrote the laws to allow the coal plants to continue polluting, this CO2 and mercury pollution is still a problem.

Sadly, I do not think there's a real solution to the CO2, but there IS a problem for the mercury. Scrubbers on the stacks.

It's expensive but its got to be done.

What?

From what i understand Obama said in and interview that he would bankrupt the coal industry with stiff greenhouse gas regulations and cause energy prices to skyrocket...video below has the interview in its contents straight from the mouth of B.O.
Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
BOs Aggressive Cap and Trade

Last edited:
Lots of times its simply cheaper to build new instead of retrofitting. Under Obama, that wouldn't be an option. :eusa_whistle:

Bush changed the laws which had mandated that older plants would have to install scrubbers when they reached that time in their business cycles that they needed a complete overhaul.

Were you aware of that?

Then, to add irony to the mix, he called that crime by regulation: "The CLEAR SKIES ACT"

Forum List

Back