Bankrupt the coal industry

Bush changed the laws which had mandated that older plants would have to install scrubbers when they reached that time in their business cycles that they needed a complete overhaul.

Were you aware of that?

Then, to add irony to the mix, he called that crime by regulation: "The CLEAR SKIES ACT"
I think that the lie is yours, and the law was changed to let the owner of the plant decide when an overhaul was needed instead of the government. :eusa_whistle:

I think that the lie is yours, and the law was changed to let the owner of the plant decide when an overhaul was needed instead of the government. :eusa_whistle:

When has corporation EVER done what was right even though it was costly and undermined the bottom line?

NEVER.

What we should do is everything we can to STOP using coal-fired power. It causes pollution, coal mining is terrible for the environment, is dangerous for the workers and unhealthy, and, I understand that it can't happen right away, we need to create new sources of clean, efficient energy. When there is a profitable industry, like coal-fired power plants, little is being done to improve anything related to the industry that would hurt the bottom line. Such as research on how to make it clean or in how to use a different energy source.

What we should do is everything we can to STOP using coal-fired power. It causes pollution, coal mining is terrible for the environment, is dangerous for the workers and unhealthy, and, I understand that it can't happen right away, we need to create new sources of clean, efficient energy. When there is a profitable industry, like coal-fired power plants, little is being done to improve anything related to the industry that would hurt the bottom line. Such as research on how to make it clean or in how to use a different energy source.
This is a pipe-dream unless you embrace nuclear power, which your party ain't.

what you see coming out of the stack of a coal power plant is cleaner then the exhaust coming out of the car you drive.

I don't drive, I commute by bike. I'm actually committed to leaving a better world to my (not yet born or conceived) children and all of my future progeny. I recycle, I reuse, I buy 2nd hand clothing, I don't waste, I compost, I don't leave my lights on at home, I don't run the heat or A/C all the time if at all, and I try to buy products that impact the environment as little as possible.

This is a pipe-dream unless you embrace nuclear power, which your party ain't.

I'm okay with nuclear power, don't lump me in with anybody. I would like better solutions to nuclear waste than just storing it somewhere in Nevada. What that solution is...I don't know. I'm not expert enough to know, but something tells me that keeping it away from where it could leak into any water at all. That seems like the most appropriate way to store nuclear waste other than shooting it into space.

I'd rather use nuclear power than fossil fuels, without a doubt. I'm with you on this one. Not cool to generalize about people, Glock.

I drive a huge SUV and leave it idling in my driveway overnight just because it bothers the neighbors. I also own two oversize homes and keep them cold in summer and hot during the winter, with several windows open. :cuckoo:

Hey! I thought you and I were getting along! I haven't insulted you, what's with this shit, Glock!

All I wrote was my beliefs, I didn't accuse you of anything. Lay off and let's be friends.

I'm okay with nuclear power, don't lump me in with anybody. I would like better solutions to nuclear waste than just storing it somewhere in Nevada. What that solution is...I don't know. I'm not expert enough to know, but something tells me that keeping it away from where it could leak into any water at all. That seems like the most appropriate way to store nuclear waste other than shooting it into space.

I'd rather use nuclear power than fossil fuels, without a doubt. I'm with you on this one. Not cool to generalize about people, Glock.
You voted for a party that ain't gonna allow any more nukes, and is throwing all sorts of roadblocks at Yucca Mountain, which could be the safest storage site in the world. They also forbid waste reprocessing.

My post wasn't an insult to anybody. Do you think you are better than me because my carbon footprint is larger?

Glock, I didn't say anything about your carbon footprint. I only talked about mine. A lot of people talk about their children but then they DO drive Hummers, and they commute 100 miles a day, etc. etc. I don't. I don't know if you do. All I know about you is that you're conservative, you're a ski-racer, and you've once skied at A-basin.

I voted for a party that, yes, has those stances you've mentioned, but I didn't vote for them for that. I voted against the majority Republican policies. I voted to demonstrate that the US is a beacon of democracy where even a black man with an Arab name can be president, and I voted to stop a criminal war, and many other reasons which I won't bore you with right here.

Don't lump me in with Democrats, I'm WAY too liberal for that.

That's a great reason to vote for energy policies that will bankrupt the country hence weaken it militarily. Yes, excellent reason.

I think we really don't have much too worry about militarily, Glock. We are by far the most militarily mighty nation on the planet now or ever before.

And you voted for Republicans who have demonstrated their fear and hatred of any body different: homosexuals, minorities, muslims, intellectuals, but I don't hold it against you. I don't think you're one of those Republicans until you demonstrate that you are.

Do you think EVERYTHING that the GOP stands for is great? I don't think everything Democrats stand for is great. Some of it is downright stupid. But I'm not gonna blindly support them. I just happen to disagree MORE with the GOP.

Give me a break and be civil, cause, like I said, I thought we were buds.

I think we really don't have much too worry about militarily, Glock. We are by far the most militarily mighty nation on the planet now or ever before.

And you voted for Republicans who have demonstrated their fear and hatred of any body different: homosexuals, minorities, muslims, intellectuals, but I don't hold it against you. I don't think you're one of those Republicans until you demonstrate that you are.

Do you think EVERYTHING that the GOP stands for is great? I don't think everything Democrats stand for is great. Some of it is downright stupid. But I'm not gonna blindly support them. I just happen to disagree MORE with the GOP.

Give me a break and be civil, cause, like I said, I thought we were buds.

I think assuming that Republicans fear and hate as you stated is uncool. Buddy.

If we continue to lose energy independence from our sworn enemies than we will be weaker economically and hence militarily. So therefore we should not toss any energy option under the bus.

If we continue to lose energy independence from our sworn enemies than we will be weaker economically and hence militarily. So therefore we should not toss any energy option under the bus.

I'm sending you a positive rep Glock.. well just because..

Hey, you know what, if this is how you're going to address me, Glock, then fine. I acted like a jerk to you and then apologized. You accepted and we started to build repoire. But if you're just going to forget that then I won't respond to you're cold, pointed remarks despite my being friendly with you.

Take care.

Hey, you know what, if this is how you're going to address me, Glock, then fine. I acted like a jerk to you and then apologized. You accepted and we started to build repoire. But if you're just going to forget that then I won't respond to you're cold, pointed remarks despite my being friendly with you.

Take care.

send him a neg rep whydoncha! Big boy?

To take Nuclear Power off the table is not only unwise it also shows a complete lack of understanding of the technology as it is used today. Most of arguments proposed by the Obama energy policy as they relate to Nuclear are based on 1970's models and do not take into consideration PUREX and the many other forms of reprocessing that are currently in use in countries like France and Japan. In fact, Japan has completed construction on a plant that will not only reprocess spent fuel but will in fact recycle it and turn waste into non hazadous inert materials. The cost issue is an invalid argument as well, when it comes to peek power production of a facility like Palo Verde that produces energy for over 4 million people. When you factor in land usage and the sheer size of real estate needed for wind power to match that and take into consideration the sheer number of mechanical parts that require attention then the argument becomes even less valid. While all these energy sources are needed to simply dismiss an energy source like nuclear that is clean and yes safe as not viable because of waste storage issues is paying lip service to the environmental lobby that IMHO has been one of the contributing factors to this nations inability to produce it's own energy.

Forum List

Back