Banker’s Insulting Waitress Tip Incites Class Warfare Between the 1% and the 99%

I've been a waitress a few times. I know what it's like to live on tips.
So....
First....if she was not friendly and HER service was poor, then i agree with what the person did.
Second....if she's normally a friendly person and her service was good, but maybe the cook didn't do something right or the cook was very slow, then that's not the waitress's fault and people need to realize that.
Third....I remember a time there was ONLY me and one other waitress working (because Mondays were normally very slow). We got packed with people that night, we hurried and tried to do our best and most people understood we were really trying. I had a table of 9 people that left me about 18 cents because they were mad. And another table of 2 people that left me $10 because they understood it wasn't my fault.

Some people just have to be assholes. But, not knowing the whole story here i can't put the blame on either one.

People with money usually tip well. For one thing if its someplace that they might go back to, they want to be remembered. So this story smells from the ground up. Now IF the service was so awful or the server so antagonistic or hostile they would likely leave no tip and a nasty note.

The server pays taxes on 8% of the sales receipt regardless of tip received. In this case, there is a reported income of 10 dollars (give or take), plus she'll tip out the staff on the sales. So she is in the hole after providing service.
This is incorrect.

Tips & Taxes – The misconception about IRS tip reporting. « Tip20! – Waiter, Waitress, Bartender, Kitchen & Consumer
When figuring out taxes, there is a misconception that servers are required to report their tips as at least 8% of their sales revenue. 8% is simply a bottom line that the IRS uses when attempting to determine how much a server earned in tips over the year. The IRS does not expect to be paid 8% of a server’s sales as tax – that would be akin to taxing the customer for their bill.

this is what is said. just different wording, better said by the government.

so, yes, it cost her money to wait on them

You only pay taxes on what you report along with your hourly wage.

It doesn't to me. However, since it was a reported detail of the story, it's relevant to the story. Mentioning a family that tipped you poorly is black, is simply race baiting.

Actually, blacks are notoriously bad tippers. Anyone who has ever waited tables will tell you that.

Depending on how hostile the black person wants to be, sometimes they'll leave some change, on the plate covered with ketchup.

The server pays taxes on 8% of the sales receipt regardless of tip received. In this case, there is a reported income of 10 dollars (give or take), plus she'll tip out the staff on the sales. So she is in the hole after providing service.
I f servers pay * 8% * tax on the amount of the sale she is on a winner since MOST tips are in the 15% range take the whole weeks sales tips and she must come out ahead ,unless they ALL give 1 % then she must be the worse server on the planet

That's just on what a server claims..

I'd make like $120 a shift and declare like $20-30 bucks... :lol:

It really doesn't matter anyways, because the majority of servers don't even make enough to pay taxes..

year. The IRS does not expect to be paid 8% of a server’s sales as tax – that would be akin to taxing the customer for their bill. What it means is that in the absence of documentation to show how much that server earned in tips the IRS is going to assume that they earned at least 8% of their food and beverage sales. So if a server sells $1,000 of food than the IRS is going to automatically assume that they took home $80 in tips that night. They’re going to treat that $80 as taxable income and depending on what tax bracket the server is in they might get 25% of the $80 which is $20. So when a customer tips 8% it isn’t all going to the government, it’s simply that all of it is going to be taxable automatically.

This is incorrect.

Tips & Taxes – The misconception about IRS tip reporting. « Tip20! – Waiter, Waitress, Bartender, Kitchen & Consumer
When figuring out taxes, there is a misconception that servers are required to report their tips as at least 8% of their sales revenue. 8% is simply a bottom line that the IRS uses when attempting to determine how much a server earned in tips over the year. The IRS does not expect to be paid 8% of a server’s sales as tax – that would be akin to taxing the customer for their bill.

this is what is said. just different wording, better said by the government.

so, yes, it cost her money to wait on them

you're not very bright, are you. They do not say the same thing...

YOU:
The server pays taxes on 8% of the sales receipt regardless of tip received.

IRS:
The IRS does not expect to be paid 8% of a server’s sales as tax

you're just wrong.

People online who had a chance to see the blog post before it went offline and those who have been made aware of it on social media outlets are outraged

Suspicious that it has been "conveniently" removed innit?

People online who had a chance to see the blog post before it went offline and those who have been made aware of it on social media outlets are outraged

Suspicious that it has been "conveniently" removed innit?

I posted a pic of the receipt from the HuffPo piece. It looks TOO perfect to be someones cell phone camera.

Not trying to nit-pick, but why is this in the politics section?

Got nothing to do with politics in the least.

I f servers pay * 8% * tax on the amount of the sale she is on a winner since MOST tips are in the 15% range take the whole weeks sales tips and she must come out ahead ,unless they ALL give 1 % then she must be the worse server on the planet

Paying tax on 8% of the sales...does not mean paying an 8% tax.

If sales amounted to 100K for the year......

The server pays tax on 8% or $8,000

If in a 25% tax bracket, the server pays 2K in taxes......

If the server received 15% average....it generated 15K in tips and paid 2K in taxes on it.,...which is about 13%....or half the tax the server would have paid if it were recordable income.

Maybe next time he comes in he'll get a nice big loogie in his salad.

I rather suspect there won't be a next time for that restaurant from a customer who was that disgusted with the service, the food, or both.

But, yes, that would be a typical liberal approach to something they cannot comprehend. And, they won't take the valuable advice either.

What's there not to comprehend about a douchebag insulting a waitress and fucking with her livelyhood?

I blame this all on GW Bush. The bastard! :evil:

C... Mr. 1% got the math wrong! :rofl:

Okay, maybe I'm just being stupid, but where is the math wrong? I'll go ahead and do this in advance since I probably missed something...

:redface:

here is the alleged receipt...
BANKER-1-PERCENT-TIP-RECEIPT.jpg

$133.54, multiplied by 1%, is $1.3354. Proper rounding dictates it be rounded up, to $1.34.

If the server received 15% average....it generated 15K in tips and paid 2K in taxes on it.,...which is about 13%....or half the tax the server would have paid if it were recordable income.

the above is based on whether or not I am understanding the law correctly.

the above is based on whether or not I am understanding the law correctly.

the 8% figure is not set in stone. It is used in the absence of documentation showing that a server earned more/less in tips.

C... Mr. 1% got the math wrong! :rofl:

Okay, maybe I'm just being stupid, but where is the math wrong? I'll go ahead and do this in advance since I probably missed something...

$133.54, multiplied by 1%, is $1.3354. Proper rounding dictates it be rounded up, to $1.34.

That is a clear photoshop..

Look at the 3's they're identical - so is the spacing.

That's not real...

You can clearly see the layering as well..

what is the FOX Restaurant Concepts - Home : blanco, bloom, modern steak, north, the greene house, sauce, olive&ivy, true food kitchen, wildflower, zinburger on the top of the receipt?

I assume you're using the address at the top to prove it's real or not? I checked the location, and it matches the address reported in the story. However, as the restaurant is still looking into the authenticity of the receipt, I'll defer judgement until I hear from them.

Forum List

Back