Banished for Questioning the Gospel of Guns

When the Second Anendment was adopted, there was no standing army in the USA, so the government called up civilians for a militia when necessessary. The USA did not stockpile guns, except cannons. The citizens were expected to furnish their own firearms, which was not unreasonable, since damned near everybody hunted in order to eat.

The country no longer needs a civilian militia, regulated, or not.

When the Second Anendment was adopted, there was no standing army in the USA, so the government called up civilians for a militia when necessessary. The USA did not stockpile guns, except cannons. The citizens were expected to furnish their own firearms, which was not unreasonable, since damned near everybody hunted in order to eat.

This is a prime example of liberal failure. This is what sickens me about you gun grabbing idiot. everything you post is lies and shit. the regular army was founded in 1784, june 3rd. the bill of rights wasn't written until 1789, and wasn't made part of the constitution until 1791. enough of the crap already

The Second Amendment is not a declaration of universal gun rights. Instead, it declares a right to civilian military for the American People. Beginning in the late 1970s, the NRA has been conducting a propaganda campaign to twist the Founders' words to mean everyone should be able to own a gun. They're doing it to increase gun industry profits. Profits may be good but not when they're measured in blood money.

so I have a question for you. what was the purpose of this civilian military?

The British army of the revolution era was a standing or professional army. It comprised primarily aristocrats, mercenaries and impressed derelicts. None of these could be expected to be concerned with the rights of citizens and could be used to oppress them. An army of citizens would be less likely to allow themselves to be used against their families, friends and neighbors.

The Second Amendment is not a declaration of universal gun rights. Instead, it declares a right to civilian military for the American People. Beginning in the late 1970s, the NRA has been conducting a propaganda campaign to twist the Founders' words to mean everyone should be able to own a gun. They're doing it to increase gun industry profits. Profits may be good but not when they're measured in blood money.

so I have a question for you. what was the purpose of this civilian military?

The British army of the revolution era was a standing or professional army. It comprised primarily aristocrats, mercenaries and impressed derelicts. None of these could be expected to be concerned with the rights of citizens and could be used to oppress them. An army of citizens would be less likely to allow themselves to be used against their families, friends and neighbors.

ok, but this is the United states we are talking about. we had a professional army for protection of the country against outside enemies. What do you believe the purpose of the militia was as defined in the 2nd amendment?

This is a prime example of liberal failure. This is what sickens me about you gun grabbing idiot. everything you post is lies and shit. the regular army was founded in 1784, june 3rd. the bill of rights wasn't written until 1789, and wasn't made part of the constitution until 1791. enough of the crap already

Oh, pardon me. so, since the Constitution was adopted in 1787, then the USA had an army already in 1784, before there was a United States.

If you must fill your posts with personal insults, at least do your homework first.

Oh, pardon me. so, since the Constitution was adopted in 1787, then the USA had an army already in 1784, before there was a United States.

If you must fill your posts with personal insults, at least do your homework first.

look it up moron. your the one who needs to do his homework. hey when was our bicentennial? 1976. which means the United states was founded when? I'll help you out 1776. stop talking, you're making yourself look like a fool. there wasn't a united states in 1784? really? :cuckoo: you get an F on your homework.

and what a putz are you. you didn't even bother to do your homework and confirm your facts when you disagreed with my statement. Fail!

The Second Amendment is not a declaration of universal gun rights. Instead, it declares a right to civilian military for the American People. Beginning in the late 1970s, the NRA has been conducting a propaganda campaign to twist the Founders' words to mean everyone should be able to own a gun.
More proof that anti-gun loons can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

When the Second Anendment was adopted, there was no standing army in the US
Incorrect. There has been a standing army since 1775.

Given that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, how is your statement, even if true, relevant in any way?

Forum List

Back