Bag o' Glass and Today's Republicans

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Remember that classic, SNL skit, "Bag o' Glass" where Candice Bergen interviews "Irwin Mainway" (Dan Aykroyd) regarding his latest line of children's toys? For those who may not remember, here it is:

Watch Consumer Probe: Irwin Mainway from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com

Why is this relevant today? I cannot help but be both mystified and amused by many of my Republican friends this election year (or any year, for that matter). The critical question (as one might ask also of "Mr. Mainway" in this skit) is: Do they actually believe this crap, or are they fully aware that it IS crap but support it nonetheless? I can understand actually believing it merely because you are just stupid. The more interesting question is, if they are aware that it is crap, WHY do they support it nonetheless?

So many conservative positions are so obviously intolerant, bigoted, and just plain unacceptable on any social level. Let's get rid of social security; make your own arrangements for retirement. Do away with welfare. Put an end to stem cell research. Let's get rid of universal health care and return to a privatized system. Do away with unions. Make abortion illegal. Boots on the ground whenever and wherever possible. And on, and on, and on - a litany of "I've got mine. Screw you!"

Trump is the most obvious embarrassment at present. I know that (to their credit) many Republicans reject Trump. Rightly so. But there are a number of them who support him. Why? Aren't they aware of what he is? And, if so, why are they supporting him? Or are they truly unaware of the abomination that is Donald Trump? Bag o' Glass.

What's going on here?

Trump doesn't want to touch SS and the conservative answer for as long as I can remember is to let there be a choice, you keep your money and invest it as you see fit or rely on government run retirement. We all would have been better off with the market, plus the money they took has been spent.

You really should get some basic working knowledge before posting on a political board. But chances are you are just here repuking something from HuffPo.

Remember that classic, SNL skit, "Bag o' Glass" where Candice Bergen interviews "Irwin Mainway" (Dan Aykroyd) regarding his latest line of children's toys? For those who may not remember, here it is:

Why is this relevant today? I cannot help but be both mystified and amused by many of my Republican friends this election year (or any year, for that matter). The critical question (as one might ask also of "Mr. Mainway" in this skit) is: Do they actually believe this crap, or are they fully aware that it IS crap but support it nonetheless? I can understand actually believing it merely because you are just stupid. The more interesting question is, if they are aware that it is crap, WHY do they support it nonetheless?

So many conservative positions are so obviously intolerant, bigoted, and just plain unacceptable on any social level. Let's get rid of social security; make your own arrangements for retirement. Do away with welfare. Put an end to stem cell research. Let's get rid of universal health care and return to a privatized system. Do away with unions. Make abortion illegal. Boots on the ground whenever and wherever possible. And on, and on, and on - a litany of "I've got mine. Screw you!"

Trump is the most obvious embarrassment at present. I know that (to their credit) many Republicans reject Trump. Rightly so. But there are a number of them who support him. Why? Aren't they aware of what he is? And, if so, why are they supporting him? Or are they truly unaware of the abomination that is Donald Trump? Bag o' Glass.

What's going on here?

What's going on.....hhhhmmmm. Usual lib lies

What's going on here?

I think most of them know they are lying and shoveling bullshit because their base is as gullible as they come, and some of them really believe thier own garbage.

Consider this is a party where a person running for Congress in that party has to put out this commercial to assure their base of something that doesn't exist:

And for the overall picture the quote by John Kenneth Galbraith sums it up.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith -

By the way, 'jerkstore' was the perfect comeback. No need to dumb it down for a mass audience!

Any serious responses out there?

iceweasels was pretty good.

I would like to add that there was never a ban on stem cell research.

That is a lie your masters have told you to keep your mind closed to any potentially dangerous unapproved information.

You are basing your view of conservatives on what rabid anti-conservatives tell you about them.

What's going on here?

I think most of them know they are lying and shoveling bullshit because their base is as gullible as they come, and some of them really believe thier own garbage.

Consider this is a party where a person running for Congress in that party has to put out this commercial to assure their base of something that doesn't exist:

And for the overall picture the quote by John Kenneth Galbraith sums it up.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith -

By the way, 'jerkstore' was the perfect comeback. No need to dumb it down for a mass audience!

I have to agree a little bit that GOP supporters can be kind of stupid sometimes. When Christine Odonnell had to come out and tell people she isn't a witch or the christian GOP wouldn't vote for her was kind of stupid. It just kind of infuriated me because there is a ton of reasons why we shouldn't vote for someone such as the man not being a citizen of the United States and a quasi-communist. WE can't vote for someone because they might be a witch but commie/fascist Obama got quite a lot of conservative votes in 2008.

Forum List

Back