Badly Rated Movies That You Really Liked

One relatively unknown movie that the reviewers ignored and we enjoy a lot is "Buffalo Girls" with Anjelica Huston, Melanie Griffith and a large cast all perfectly suited for their roles.

227909.jpg

Wasn't this a mini series that aired on TV? I think I have seen it.

Could have been. The movie isn't broken up like a lot of movies made from mini series are, but would lend itself to such a series. It is in two parts on the DVD though with each part longer than your average full movie. It's one of those tales, loosely based on history, that you can just lose yourself in for hours though. My kind of movie. :)

Yep, I think I have seen this.. part of the story is where two mountain men,bring back a male and female beaver from Europe to re populate the rivers that have been trapped so much,they are now extinct in those areas. Good series.

I love long movie marathon weekends. Sometimes when I'm feeling kinda lazy I will watch the whole North and South series...Or Anne Of Green Gables/Anne Of Avonlea.

Another one that was a CBS mini series and then was put out on DVD is "Category 6 - Day of Destruction" - four hours of soap opera-ish interwoven plots but with some good acting and just enough technical stuff to keep your interest. Another one you can lose yourself in for hours and just enjoy.

315150.jpg

Didn't see that one...but the 2nd one... Catagory 7: End Of The World... I rented. It had a lot of familar names.. Shannen Doherty,Randy Quaid,Tom Skerrit,Robert Wagner etc. It was pretty good I enjoyed it.

You also find some classic bad horror films on those 50 movies for a buck each collections. The one I have has the following:

Metropolis (original)
Night of the Living Dead (They're coming to GET you, Barbera!)
Phantom of the Opera (Original)
Carnival of Souls (So freaky wierd it's funny. In mood vision!)
The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price in high gear
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (CLASSIC CRAP MONSTER SCHLOCK)
The Last Man On Earth (Vincent Price version of "I Am Legend")
Dementia 13 (Screw with the poor girl's head goodness)
The Horror (a very young jack Nickelson)

...of course far more suck bantha poodoo, but these are decent for the schlock they are.

Glad to hear that the original version of Phantom of the Opera is good. Bought the VHS at a garage sale,along with Somewhere In Time. That will be my 2 next movie night picks. :)

If you look up Phantom of the Opera (1925) on youtube, you can watch the actual original version. The version that was eventually released to the public was hacked and some scenes re-shot.

The VHS versions I've had did not have the original musical score; which, IMO detracts from the atmosphere of the movie.

freaks 1932 b/w todd browning

tremors....look i dont wann hear it...kevin bacon in tight jeans...o my

pumpkin head.....i love that movie....love it...

paris trout ...dennis hopper

and i know most of the dialogue to urban cowboy

* i am so ashamed*

You also find some classic bad horror films on those 50 movies for a buck each collections. The one I have has the following:

Metropolis (original)
Night of the Living Dead (They're coming to GET you, Barbera!)
Phantom of the Opera (Original)
Carnival of Souls (So freaky wierd it's funny. In mood vision!)
The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price in high gear
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (CLASSIC CRAP MONSTER SCHLOCK)
The Last Man On Earth (Vincent Price version of "I Am Legend")
Dementia 13 (Screw with the poor girl's head goodness)
The Horror (a very young jack Nickelson)

...of course far more suck bantha poodoo, but these are decent for the schlock they are.

Glad to hear that the original version of Phantom of the Opera is good. Bought the VHS at a garage sale,along with Somewhere In Time. That will be my 2 next movie night picks. :)

If you look up Phantom of the Opera (1925) on youtube, you can watch the actual original version. The version that was eventually released to the public was hacked and some scenes re-shot.

The VHS versions I've had did not have the original musical score; which, IMO detracts from the atmosphere of the movie.

Good to know..I will do that. Looking at the VHS I just assumed it was the original version based on the cover,it said it was the "classic edition" (and was filmed in 1943). Looking forward to watching it though,this is a musical I'm not that familiar with.

* i am so ashamed*

You won't hear anything from me about Tremors...I love that movie,I've seen it (and the rest of the series of movies that came after) a million times. :tongue:

Good to know..I will do that. Looking at the VHS I just assumed it was the original version based on the cover,it said it was the "classic edition" (and was filmed in 1943). Looking forward to watching it though,this is a musical I'm not that familiar with.

The one from 1943 has Herbert Lom and Claude Rains in it and is a talkie. The 1925 version is silent starring Lon Chaney and Mary Philbin.

I just don't like horror movies. Never have. Well, I can appreciate the genius in some of those patterned after Stephen King novels: "Carrie", "The Shining", "The Green Mile".

But I love disaster movies and the critics almost universally dislike them. I've got a bunch of them in my collection though.

I love to read horror books...but hate to watch the movies. Don't like blood,guts and gore as visuals...and the sound effects just turn me off completely.
you need to watch the classic horror films of the 1950's then. They would be classified thrillers today but they often did not have a happy ending. The original version of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting" is fantastic. The remake done by Michael Bey is pretty lousy.

Also, those old horror films do NOT have a happy ending. At least the good ones don't or they're ambiguous at best.

* i am so ashamed*

You won't hear anything from me about Tremors...I love that movie,I've seen it (and the rest of the series of movies that came after) a million times. :tongue:

Oh, I LOVE Tremors. It's one of those movies that when you run across it on one of those obscure cable channels you just stop and sit down and watch again. It's one of those movies that you cannot not watch.

The Matrix is that kind of movie too.

I didn't know there were sequels of Tremors though. They are good too? So often the sequels are disappointing when compared to the original.

* i am so ashamed*

Oh, I LOVE Tremors. It's one of those movies that when you run across it on one of those obscure cable channels you just stop and sit down and watch again. It's one of those movies that you cannot not watch.

I didn't know there were sequels of Tremors though. They are good too? So often the sequels are disappointing when compared to the original.
Tremors is an outstanding film that devolves into a schlocky but fun series of movies that have the benefit of Michael Gross (the father from Family Ties) doing a great whacko character. I heard rumor that they turnd it into a Sci Fi series that was actually quite good for being so short lived. (The execs there SUCK)

Oh how about these other crappy but fun horror films:

The Toxic Avenger

Class of Nuke 'Em High

My Science Project

To Troma films and a Dennis Hopper who I had forgotten was IN My Science Project, which I always thought highly underrated for it's crappy goodness and twist on the whole alien/roswell type of film.

Tremors is an outstanding film that devolves into a schlocky but fun series of movies that have the benefit of Michael Gross (the father from Family Ties) doing a great whacko character. I heard rumor that they turnd it into a Sci Fi series that was actually quite good for being so short lived. (The execs there SUCK)

The Toxic Avenger

Class of Nuke 'Em High

My Science Project

To Troma films and a Dennis Hopper who I had forgotten was IN My Science Project, which I always thought highly underrated for it's crappy goodness and twist on the whole alien/roswell type of film.

Well I haven't tried your last offerings on the list, but as we do seem to share an appreciation for lesser known but well done movies, I'll have to check out the rest of the Tremors movies based on your and Shadow's reviews. :)

The Toxic Avenger

Class of Nuke 'Em High

My Science Project

Well I haven't tried your last offerings on the list, but as we do seem to share an appreciation for lesser known but well done movies, I'll have to check out the rest of the Tremors movies based on your and Shadow's reviews. :)
Just don't expect much and you will have a good time. Watch them to mock them.

I've avoided that one X because isn't it sort of grim with a lot of gratuitous graphic gruesome dying?

I have avoided "Deep Impact" for the same reason just because it also has a reputation of being more grim than entertaining.

I, however, do enjoy "Armageddon" which is almost more comedy than disaster film. I think it got pretty pitiful reviews, but it holds your interest if you stay with it through the excessively long meteor showers.

armageddon.jpg

I will take Deep Impact over Armageddon every time. Why? Much more realistic and better character development. Armageddon is an action schlockfest with the depth of a parking lot puddle. But it's a fun popcorn movie.

I will take Deep Impact over Armageddon every time. Why? Much more realistic and better character development. Armageddon is an action schlockfest with the depth of a parking lot puddle. But it's a fun popcorn movie.

The character development in Armageddon is there but it is subtle and takes more than one viewing to sort it out among all the overdone special effects and sometimes overbearing sound track. But the director did a really good job keeping everybody in character. It is a movie that does require extra viewings to fully appreciate though. Pirates of the Carribbean was a movie like that too.

But I'll take your recommendation and check out Deep Impact.

Among volcano movies, my favorite to date is Dante's Peak. St. Helens wasn't bad. Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones sucked. I've tried to love it and just can't.

I've avoided that one X because isn't it sort of grim with a lot of gratuitous graphic gruesome dying?

I have avoided "Deep Impact" for the same reason just because it also has a reputation of being more grim than entertaining.

I, however, do enjoy "Armageddon" which is almost more comedy than disaster film. I think it got pretty pitiful reviews, but it holds your interest if you stay with it through the excessively long meteor showers.

armageddon.jpg

6 people enter the ship and 2 survive. They're traveling under the Earth so the deaths were not pleasant. The Science is terribly inaccurate, but I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it. I found this interesting:

The Core - Good and Bad Science in the Movie

Favorite line in the movie: "OK, if I decide to do this, I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hot Pockets."

armageddon.jpg

6 people enter the ship and 2 survive. They're traveling under the Earth so the deaths were not pleasant. The Science is terribly inaccurate, but I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it. I found this interesting:

The Core - Good and Bad Science in the Movie

Favorite line in the movie: "OK, if I decide to do this, I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hot Pockets."

I really don't like a lot of graphic pain and suffering. But if I get desperate for a new movie, I'll give it a shot. That's one reason I liked Armageddon. Yes obviously there was much death and destruction, and favorite characters got killed, but you didn't have to watch gratuitous blood and gore and hear screams of pain and stuff like that.

For tornado movies you can't get much more unrealistic/unscientific (or more hokey) than
"Tornado Warning" with Gerald McRaney or "Twister" with Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt. But I thorough enjoy both movies.'

Forum List

Back