Badly Rated Movies That You Really Liked

It didn't drag on and the fight scenes were great. I love watching this movie, especially the storming of the beach and the Hector v. Achilles fight.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4IoxEUmHM]YouTube - Troy- Achilles Vs Hector[/ame]

"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"

I caught this the other day on the television. Heard that test audiences hated it. Reason why it went straight to DVD and not a theatrical release. Shame.
If this movie had been made and released in the 1970's I think it would have become a cult classic.
The cinematography was top-notch. The actors seemed to play their characters to "period". There wasn't the typical Hollywood ending. It all seemed an honest effort to get it "right" even with the artistic license. Every movie is a philosophical vignette.
I'll say that I was mesmerized by that nickel-plated Smith and Wesson that Jesse gave Robert.
It won't find a mass audience. Won't bring in the escapist, and thrill-ride moviegoers. But it will find people who can appreciate it for what it is.
I hope the filmmakers can find some solace in that.

My view toward critics has always been this...

If you watch the ten movies of the year that critics claim were the best, and then watch the ten movies that the critics claimed were the worst.

You would enjoy the worst movies more

The Punisher

I'm talking the Thomas Jane version. I don't know what everyone is whining about with it, I can watch that film over and over. The best part was the hitman from Tennessee. He writes an original song, sings it for Frank Castle, then tries to kill him, that is classy.

In addition to Capote and to Body Heat, this is an all time fave of mine. It received 3 stars on Netflix but I give it a 5...the highest.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrKKgFZBwXM[/ame]

Great Expectations
(1998) R
In this Americanized version of Charles Dickens's classic novel, set in 1990s New York instead of 1860s England, humble, young Finn (Ethan Hawke) develops a lifelong crush on Estella (Gwyneth Paltrow), the wealthy niece of the eccentric Ms. Dinsmoor (Anne Bancroft). The pair part, but then a mysterious benefactor makes it possible for Finn to attend art school in the city, where he runs into his now-engaged love.

Last edited:
One relatively unknown movie that the reviewers ignored and we enjoy a lot is "Buffalo Girls" with Anjelica Huston, Melanie Griffith and a large cast all perfectly suited for their roles.

227909.jpg

You also find some classic bad horror films on those 50 movies for a buck each collections. The one I have has the following:

Metropolis (original)
Night of the Living Dead (They're coming to GET you, Barbera!)
Phantom of the Opera (Original)
Carnival of Souls (So freaky wierd it's funny. In mood vision!)
The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price in high gear
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (CLASSIC CRAP MONSTER SCHLOCK)
The Last Man On Earth (Vincent Price version of "I Am Legend")
Dementia 13 (Screw with the poor girl's head goodness)
The Horror (a very young jack Nickelson)

...of course far more suck bantha poodoo, but these are decent for the schlock they are.

Last edited:
I just don't like horror movies. Never have. Well, I can appreciate the genius in some of those patterned after Stephen King novels: "Carrie", "The Shining", "The Green Mile".

But I love disaster movies and the critics almost universally dislike them. I've got a bunch of them in my collection though.

You also find some classic bad horror films on those 50 movies for a buck each collections. The one I have has the following:

Metropolis (original)
Night of the Living Dead (They're coming to GET you, Barbera!)
Phantom of the Opera (Original)
Carnival of Souls (So freaky wierd it's funny. In mood vision!)
The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price in high gear
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (CLASSIC CRAP MONSTER SCHLOCK)
The Last Man On Earth (Vincent Price version of "I Am Legend")
Dementia 13 (Screw with the poor girl's head goodness)
The Horror (a very young jack Nickelson)

...of course far more suck bantha poodoo, but these are decent for the schlock they are.

Glad to hear that the original version of Phantom of the Opera is good. Bought the VHS at a garage sale,along with Somewhere In Time. That will be my 2 next movie night picks. :)

One relatively unknown movie that the reviewers ignored and we enjoy a lot is "Buffalo Girls" with Anjelica Huston, Melanie Griffith and a large cast all perfectly suited for their roles.

227909.jpg

Wasn't this a mini series that aired on TV? I think I have seen it.

I just don't like horror movies. Never have. Well, I can appreciate the genius in some of those patterned after Stephen King novels: "Carrie", "The Shining", "The Green Mile".

But I love disaster movies and the critics almost universally dislike them. I've got a bunch of them in my collection though.

I love to read horror books...but hate to watch the movies. Don't like blood,guts and gore as visuals...and the sound effects just turn me off completely.

227909.jpg

Wasn't this a mini series that aired on TV? I think I have seen it.

Could have been. The movie isn't broken up like a lot of movies made from mini series are, but would lend itself to such a series. It is in two parts on the DVD though with each part longer than your average full movie. It's one of those tales, loosely based on history, that you can just lose yourself in for hours though. My kind of movie. :)

Another one that was a CBS mini series and then was put out on DVD is "Category 6 - Day of Destruction" - four hours of soap opera-ish interwoven plots but with some good acting and just enough technical stuff to keep your interest. Another one you can lose yourself in for hours and just enjoy.

315150.jpg

Forum List

Back