Babe Ruth and the Negro Leagues

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Great talent recognizes great talent. I read that Ruth wanted to buy a major league team but owners said no way, because they knew he would recruit players from the Negro Leagues. Not only Ruth but the great Ty Cobb wanted black players in the Major Leagues, but owners were not going to allow integration. I would have loved to see Williams hit .406 with guys like Satchel Paige facing him, he would have been in his prime in 1941, and would not make it to the Major Leagues until 1948, when he was 42. He played his last season at 59 yrs of age, still a record.

“According to Buck O'Neill and Monte Irvin, players in the Negro Leagues received the equivalent of a dollar a day. When Babe Ruth joined them, he would bring them $1,500 to share among all the teams. Ruth was, for a long time, an advocate of the integration of baseball.”

-Source unknown-

370293303_10159510966903314_1337823466604071338_n.jpg

I like a little race baiting with my weekend sports entertainment. Gives it some much needed gravitas.

Great talent recognizes great talent. I read that Ruth wanted to buy a major league team but owners said no way, because they knew he would recruit players from the Negro Leagues. Not only Ruth but the great Ty Cobb wanted black players in the Major Leagues, but owners were not going to allow integration. I would have loved to see Williams hit .406 with guys like Satchel Paige facing him, he would have been in his prime in 1941, and would not make it to the Major Leagues until 1948, when he was 42. He played his last season at 59 yrs of age, still a record.

“According to Buck O'Neill and Monte Irvin, players in the Negro Leagues received the equivalent of a dollar a day. When Babe Ruth joined them, he would bring them $1,500 to share among all the teams. Ruth was, for a long time, an advocate of the integration of baseball.”
-Source unknown-

View attachment 823528
Satchel Paige doesn't belong in the MLB Hall of Fame. Nothing even close to the numbers most of the HOFers have. I don't care what the reason is. This was just a sop to blacks.

I like a little race baiting with my weekend sports entertainment. Gives it some much needed gravitas.
Yea, history is not usually the Hollywood/Disney version, but sometimes it does get close.

374146768_10222963958822988_4560479794571261809_n.jpg

Babe and Lou with his barnstorming team. Lou is the one in pinstripes. In the suit is Christy Walsh, the first sports agent.

369801712_10222963977703460_6002803657672781273_n.jpg

These pics. havel been colorized.

Last edited:

-Source unknown-

View attachment 823528
back in the 1800's Cap Anson was one of the reasons blacks were kept out....he said he will not walk onto a field with a black player on the team.....Ruth would go and watch games in the black leagues....and Cobb was not the racist people made him out to be....

Indeed, let me follow up...

"Hey guys! can you believe owners of baseball teams way back didn't hire black players?? Let me tell you, as a 'modern" person of the 'progressive world', I would NEVER have dropped to that evil and horrible nastiness because I'm so much better than everyone else before me!"

It makes me want to vomit LOL

Forum List

Back