Every 100 yrs a Babe Ruth comes along. Well it is 100 yrs and Mr. Ohtani has arrived

Hang on Sloopy

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2015
i've never, or you never have seen anything like this guy

how many times have you seen a pitcher lead the majors in home runs at the all star break....bawwwhhhhhahaa

if the Babe could have been a DH,....he would have 400 wins along with towering hitting numbers

numbers never lie in baseball

how many times have you seen a pitcher lead the majors in home runs at the all star break....bawwwhhhhhahaa

if the Babe could have been a DH,....he would have 400 wins along with towering hitting numbers

Ohtani may be a pitcher, but he has a whopping 341 at bats, having played in 89 games. Also, his .302 batting average is less than 10 players listed in the link here. Also, it is nowhere near the .388 average of Luis Arraez. If Arraez could keep that average up to the end of the year, he will be one of the only hitters to reach that high an avg, since Ted Williams hit .388 in 1957, and Rod Carew also hit .388 in 1977. Others were Tony Gwynn .394, and George Brett .390.

To Ohtani's credit, he tops the list in OPS with 1.050, but with a .302 batting average, he is far below Babe Ruth, who rarely had an average that low, and finished his career with a .342 lifetime batting average, and had season averages above .370, six times.

Also, Ruth's lifetime OPS (1.164) is higher than anyone in MLB right now, and 13 times, had season OPSs higher than any 2023 player, his highest being 1.379.

Last edited:

/----/ There is someone else. Perhaps the greatest athlete ever. I saw him play in 1960, when I was 9. And he just retired in 2011. He was sort of like the Harlem Globe Trotters for baseball. He even struck out major league long ball hitters.
The King and his Court

• Banned
Hard to believe isn't it?

A lot of folks forget BR was a LH pitcher..... He won 89 games in six seasons with the Boston Red Sox, including 24 in 1917.
3-0 in WS games......................look at the starts he had with the yanks, he was like 6-0...one in his late 30s

if he had the doctors and training back then he probably still had power in his 40s

if if if....lot of ifs in sports.........the real word is, IS.....lol...........or ain't...lol

• Banned
he may not.....the dodgers choke a lot in the playoffs.....ohtani wants to play in the series.....but he does like S.Cal.....
too many great players have flopped when they switch teams...lindor is a good example..............he's got 60 rbis, but never the same when he left the injuns

cali needs to fill some holes and they'll contend.........he's in a real groove this yr, i wouldn't fuck it up with a big change like that

Hard to believe isn't it?

A lot of folks forget BR was a LH pitcher..... He won 89 games in six seasons with the Boston Red Sox, including 24 in 1917.
some old timer said switching to hitting was his biggest mistake in ball he made...lol

3-0 in WS games......................look at the starts he had with the yanks, he was like 6-0...one in his late 30s

if he had the doctors and training back then he probably still had power in his 40s

if if if....lot of ifs in sports.........the real word is, IS.....lol...........or ain't...lol
ruth only pitched in 2 WS with the red sox in the dead ball era.....never pitched in a WS with the yankees....

too many great players have flopped when they switch teams...lindor is a good example..............he's got 60 rbis, but never the same when he left the injuns

cali needs to fill some holes and they'll contend.........he's in a real groove this yr, i wouldn't fuck it up with a big change like that

Truly great players may struggle year 1 with new team but usually they get back in form if still in prime years? But for washed up pitchers who don't have much left.

LA NY CHI TEX BOS SF always seem to sign the big money players. I wish it was different. But it hasn't worked out so well always? Bit of crap shoot since maybe back to NYY under the real Stienbrenner days. Maybe BOS did well with its 2004 juicers (manny pappy etc). Almost forget SF won 3 of 5 under Bochy.

ruth only pitched in 2 WS with the red sox in the dead ball era.....never pitched in a WS with the yankees....
thanks for the correction....3-0 in 2 ws, but was on a ws team with some at bats when he ws first on the team

Forum List

Back