Austin: Hardly Anybody Showed Up for the Silly Parade

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
I left 6th Street at 7:00 last night and pedaled up the (closed-off) Congress Avenue parade route to the Capitol Grounds where people congregated. It looked like that was where the Parade was to be started. I am new to Austin and do not know the routine. There were more people on Congress Avenue than usual, but they were not filling up the viewing area - I thought maybe the parade was scheduled for the morning. I only saw a couple of couples setting up chairs.
There were probably 200 people around the intersection, I took a picture, and left.
ATx 23-08-13 Pride Parade IMG_20230812_190728_434.jpg

This morning there was a report about the (sponsoring) Councilwoman, because as the video does not show, hardly anyone showed up for the parade. Notice that there is no real estimate of attendance, just the superlative, "People flooded the streets of Downtown Austin."

This is from last year's parade, which had a crowd.

Last edited:
I hate Austin. Hated it when I lived there and hate it even more now. The only good thing about it was the Mexican food and I've actually had better Mexican food in Wisconsin.

I hate Austin. Hated it when I lived there and hate it even more now. The only good thing about it was the Mexican food and I've actually had better Mexican food in Wisconsin.

One of the only cities in Texas I could tolerate.
Lots to do, great restaurants, amazing music scene

Well, the local paper put out some more pics, but they appear to be from only around the State Capitol where I saw a crowd. I am pretty sure that was the only crowd.

I did not see rainbow flags draping the store fronts, or restaurants, which were bare as usual. Austin does not have a really good dinner nightlife downtown. Austin has a dive bar district (6th Street), but other than Friday and Saturday nights after 8:00 PM, it is dead.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back