ATTN: Young Republicans

Discussion in 'Military' started by SpidermanTuba, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Here's a question for all young able bodied Republicans who have never had or are not currently serving in the military.

When are you signing up?

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,992
    Here is a question for all young and middle aged Democrats. If your not in the military, when are you signing up?

3. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Democrats don't believe in the military.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,992
    Thats not true, the believe in it, they just don't believe anyone of their "station" should have to stoop to it.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Why? Since when did military service represent a political ideology?

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    this middle aged democrat signed up. served. retired. next question?

The POINT, I think, of this thread is to suggest that putting's one's money where one's mouth is seems appropriate. My father was a lifelong democrat and on 12/7/41, he was a thirty year old trial attorney, his first child, my big sister, was less than a week old and he went off to war and didn't come back until it was over over there... because he believed it was a cause worth fighting for.

Our country is deeply divided about the war in Iraq and that divide falls, generally, along political ideological lines.

Liberals ( usually democrats) think that this is a horrible war and that no Americans should be fighting and dying in our endeavors to babysit a sectarian fight amongst Iraqis and that this war is hurting our ability to focus upon and defeat our true enemies.

If you do not believe the cause of Iraqi governmental creation and stability is worth fighting for, it is NOT philosphically inconsistent to avoid serving there.

Conservatives (usually republicans), on the other hand, think this a delightfully just and appropriate and necessary war. They think that the goal of establishing a multicultural jeffersonian democracy on the banks of the euphrates river is the highest priority that Americans could possibly be involved in. They firmly believe that Iraq is the place on earth where American will face and defeat Islamic extremists who seek to destroy us. They believe that we absolutely must face them and defeat them there, or we will be forced to face and defeat them on our own shores soon thereafter.

So... if you DO believe that the actions in Iraq are noble and necessary and ought to be our country's highest priority, it IS philosophically inconsistent to avoid serving there. And just so we are clear: philosophical inconsistency in avoiding combat is really just a euphemism for yellow bellied coward.

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I guess then that only Republicans should be allowed to serve in the military then. Funny, I don't remember seeing this question on any enlistment forms:
    "To what political party do you belong?" There are many reasons why a Republican can believe in the war and yet not serve....physical disability comes to mind. Specific to this board....many of the pro-military, pro war folks who post here have already served.

It is obvious to me that every time a poster starts a thread like this the discussion that follows only further divides the participating parties. If we follow in this vein, we will be proposing that every time a Dem/lib gets pregnant they immediately get an abortion or that every Dem/lib should give their income to some poverty stricken family/person.

8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I realize that my prior post was a bit inflammatory and - you must have also figured out - a little tongue in cheek.

given the fact that I am a lifelong democrat, my father was a lifelong democrat, and given the fact that both of us DID serve in an organization that was and still is dominated by republicans... it does stick in my craw a bit that young collegiate republicans do seem to find excuses for letting others go in harm's way in their stead in this war. That frustration is real, and the bile it creates is also real.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I understand. Then again, college kids are weird anyway (no matter what party they ascribe to!)

10. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    many are. I actually have two of them who are more mature, more focused, and more respectful of their father than I have any reasonable right to expect.