Attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan this day 3/30/81

Tim McCarthy, the Secret Service agent who blocked one of the bullets with his abdomen, continues to be a hero of mine. He retired a couple of years ago as Chief of Police of a town in Illinois. Outskirts of Chicago, I think.

Tim McCarthy, the Secret Service agent who blocked one of the bullets with his abdomen, continues to be a hero of mine. He retired a couple of years ago as Chief of Police of a town in Illinois. Outskirts of Chicago, I think.
Isn't it the only time in history when the Secret Service was physically involved in an attempted assassination? A bystander prevented the Manson babe from blasting away at another republican president, Jerry Ford

Isn't it the only time in history when the Secret Service was physically involved in an attempted assassination?
No. A Secret Service officer shot and wounded an assassin trying to kill Truman. The assassin did manage to kill a White House police officer.

Isn't it the only time in history when the Secret Service was physically involved in an attempted assassination? A bystander prevented the Manson babe from blasting away at another republican president, Jerry Ford
There was one other time, which g5000 already pointed out. Puerto Rico nationalists tried to storm Blair House while Truman was in it, and the Secret Service protected him. They killed a DC cop named Leslie something (I forget). Truman, when he heard the noise, stuck his head out the window to see what was going on. Duh.

And, of course, there's Kennedy. One could argue that the Secret Service Agents jumping on the car or physically covering LBJ were "physically involved," but I get it.

There was only one Secret Service agent who died while protecting the President, in a crash between a trolley and a barouche (a kind of carriage) in 1902, but that obviously wasn't an assassination attempt. President Roosevelt got so pissed at the trolley driver it almost came to blows.

It seems that the alleged "devistator" bullets used by Hinckley were a media fabrication. There was no such rounds available in cal. 22 then or now.

Forum List

Back