Athie billboards

I do not find the ad to be offensive.

I do respect the right of the billboard owner to make its own decision as to whom it will sell to. If other customers complain and threaten to pull their ads (an idea that I personally find reprehensible) and the billboard owner decides not to sell the ad, then that is the owner's right.

The government has nothing to do with this case and I cannot see that there is a violation of the right to free speech involved here. The First Amendment prohits the government from interfering with the right of free speech. It does not require private entities to grant free speech rights.

Immie

Exactly...it's private property...but the double standard is interesting.

I'm sorry, are you stating that I have a double standard?

Are you stating that I think that if an athiest owned an advertising medium that I believe that the athiest should be compelled to sell to a religious organization or are you stating that others believe that?

Just trying to understand where you are coming from on that, because I don't believe the athiest should be so compelled.

Immie

No, you misunderstand - I didn't mean you have a double standard. The double standard I see is in the religious community putting pressure on the sign owner to remove the sign when likely they are the first to cry religious discrimmination.

Exactly...it's private property...but the double standard is interesting.

I'm sorry, are you stating that I have a double standard?

Are you stating that I think that if an athiest owned an advertising medium that I believe that the athiest should be compelled to sell to a religious organization or are you stating that others believe that?

Just trying to understand where you are coming from on that, because I don't believe the athiest should be so compelled.

Immie

No, you misunderstand - I didn't mean you have a double standard. The double standard I see is in the religious community putting pressure on the sign owner to remove the sign when likely they are the first to cry religious discrimmination.

Well, that was kind of what I thought you meant, but I wasn't certain.

But, I am certain some people could find that I have double standards as I suspect that all of us do in certain cases.

Immie

Hey, the free market just isn't ready to warm up to atheism. BFD!

Give it time. It's a bit preoccupied with homos at the moment and can't really absorb a whole nuther subset of social outliers right now. mmkay?

Hey, the free market just isn't ready to warm up to atheism. BFD!

Give it time. It's a bit preoccupied with homos at the moment and can't really absorb a whole nuther subset of social outliers right now. mmkay?

With the number of people who are dropping religion though, it would be wise should they wish to make a profit. ;) Though they have not yet been able to keep up with the growing population of pagans either, so I doubt they would remain so strong if not for government backing. :cool:

The reason Christians want to keep atheistic billboards away from children, is because, like alcohol, reality can be addicting.

It always amazes me that those who consider themselves “responsible adults” want to push the occult, mysticism and the supernatural onto children as if they were somehow “real” and indoctrinate young children into believing this nonsense.

Forum List

Back