At least one court victory

Reparations for those of Japanese descent who were in camps during WWII and those for holocaust victims were appropriate.

It's nice to have conservatives agree with me every now and again. :eek:)

Originally posted by acludem
Reparations for those of Japanese descent who were in camps during WWII and those for holocaust victims were appropriate.

It's nice to have conservatives agree with me every now and again. :eek:)
Well, I don't think many people would be against giving people BACK what they were relieved of. The Japanese in this country were stripped of their legal possessions and relocated. They were still alive at the end of the war and there were recoreds of where, when and who was done this injustice. Those responsible were made to pay- in this case, the government.

As for holocaust reparations, I think as a condition of surrender from the offending countries, whatever. I would not want to see anyone here in the US have to pay money towards it. I don't think we were responsible for the holocaust.

In the case of slavery, however, that ship has sailed. The people responsible are dead. The slaves themselves are dead. The country has already paid the price of slavery: affirmative action, quotas, welfare, social services, etc. Enough is enough.

The best logical argument against reparations is how would you determine who pays and who receives? Can every black person in this country prove they are descended from slaves? Clearly not every white person in this country, even those who had relatives living here at the time slavery existed, are descended from slaveholders or slave traders. Shouldn't the descendents of those tribes in Africa who were engaging in the slave trade with white traders have to share part of the cost?

I do not equate affirmative action, etc, with reparations. These programs were necessary to help many of our citizens of all races and creeds.

acludem

BTW - I don't anticipate my head exploding any time soon!

Some good points have been made here, but I'd like to add an observation or two:

Affirmative action is no different from reparations payments, it just takes a less-direct approch. Whites of today are penalized, economically, for actions of their ancestors -- and not even DIRECT ancestors -- just racially similar ancestors. And blacks today are given a bonus, and not just the ones who are descended directly from slaves, but ALL BLACK PEOPLE, even ones who came over from Africa yesterday. So, crazy as all that is, I think it shows that people use race as the marker, probably rightly so. It's just that only whites get screwed on it, nobody else.

Other things mentioned besides slavery: the Holocaust, and Japanese internment. All three of these things have something in common: Mixing racial nations with political nations. Blacks, Jews, Japanese and whites are all RACIAL NATIONS. Some African countries, Israel, Japan and the U.S. are all POLITICAL NATIONS. But see how confusing the two creates problems? If Jews hadn't launched a communist attack on Germany from inside its borders, they would not have faced Hitler's wrath. If whites had not enslaved blacks and brought them to the U.S., there would have been no slavery and subsequent problems. If the U.S. had kept out non-white immigrants from Japan, same thing - no problem.

Racial separatism gets a bad rap, but see how, if Germany had excluded Jews to begin with, if white slavers had left blacks alone in Africa, etc., these problems would not have arisen in the first place. That is not to say that you would not have wars over land between countries, but at least the wars would be honest struggles, unlike what we have today. Today, Jews in the U.S. make the U.S. its proxy fighter in the middle east --- that is bad because it is warfare based on deception.

Just some things to think about.

Forum List

Back