Astronomers don't yet know if second visit will be a rendezvous or collision

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Incoming asteroid under close watch

Exactly 20 years from today, an asteroid about the size of a 25-story building will come closer to Earth than the networks of communications satellites orbiting the planet.

The chance of an impact are extremely remote — only about 1 in 45,000 — but the asteroid, named Apophis, will be back. Analysis of the asteroid's orbit show it will return to Earth seven years later.

Astronomers don't yet know if Apophis' second visit will be a rendezvous or a collision, as its orbit will be bent by Earth's gravity during the 2029 flyby.

skipped a bunch in the middle

"These 300-meter objects deliver about 1,000 megatons of TNT equivalent, so while they don't kill everyone they would certainly give you a very bad day," Kaiser said. "It's been estimated that they would devastate an area equal in size to France. These things happen about every 70,000 years, so there's a 1-in-700 chance that one of these will collide in the next 100 years."

"If one of these is out there, then Pan-STARRS 4 will detect it and figure out exactly when it is going to hit. More likely, we will do our survey and be able to give Earth a clean bill of health — for now at least," he added.

full article:

Incoming asteroid under close watch - Space- msnbc.com

other links that are just interesting on the subject:

Near-Earth Object Program

here is my favorite..it gives the torino rating for each astroild that is known of

Current Impact Risks

Twenty years, huh?

I'd best get about the business of gathering my rosebuds while I may, then.

Forum List

Back