Hawaii's Big Island rattled by strong earthquake

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
VOLCANO, Hawaii – Officials say a strong earthquake shook parts of Hawaii's Big Island but no damage has been reported.

U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory says a temblor with a magnitude of 5.0 struck Tuesday at 12:44 p.m. about 8 miles southeast of volcano Kilauea's summit.

The survey says it received more than 350 calls within half an hour of the quake from but no damage was immediately reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the quake isn't expect to generate a tsunami.

full article: really just one more paragraph

Hawaii's Big Island rattled by strong earthquake

the ring of fire:

map_plate_tectonics_world.gif

bear in mind the news is only reporting the "major quakes" not the small quakes that occurr daily....in spots that may surprise you:

IRIS Seismic Monitor

nope same way in alaska...you learn not to put things on the walls or open shelves...the east coast is overdue for a major quake..last one i think was charleston...

nope same way in alaska...you learn not to put things on the walls or open shelves...the east coast is overdue for a major quake..last one i think was charleston...

It's a wise crack one of my friends from Hawaii said a couple of times ... just makes me chuckle and thought I'd share the lightheartedness a little. Read my sig.

its nearly 5 am..dont expect much from me...did you see that fucking astroild that may hit us..250 ft of rock...

i just wonder what the next major thing will be...italy really sucked...but it still didnt hit a major population center

its nearly 5 am..dont expect much from me...did you see that fucking astroild that may hit us..250 ft of rock...

i just wonder what the next major thing will be...italy really sucked...but it still didnt hit a major population center

20 years from now ... doubt I'll care by then ... LOL
Call me a cynic but I don't want to be 74. However, if it hits on any fault line ... the planet is royally fucked.

i have got to find this stupid jar of change of his...he has had it since he was a kid...all kinds of old coins...i got an 1971 isenhower dollar and went to put it in his jar and we cant find it....he will go nuts...

how long can you talk about natural disasters...i have been in two..a tornado and a flood....you wont catch me near a tornado zone...i was a small child in alaska so quakes dont freak me much

True, not much to discuss about them. I was in Downtown Seattle during the Nisqually quake in '01, and we had a smaller one just a couple months ago. One snow storm in Kent-Covington back in the early 90's (can't remember the exact year) and was snowed in for three weeks. Other than that, tornadoes scare me the most, glad we don't have them here.

cabin fever...that is my fear when snowed in..but then you just go outside...it has been a long time since we got that much snow.....and it is fun...but if it were daily i would go nuts

Yeah, I like the deep snow, but we have mountains that have that all year long here, so it's not too bad having almost no low land snow, most years. Lately though we've been getting frighteningly close to snow storms, and too often here.

we have been in a drought for a couple of years....i miss thunder storms we had a small one with lightening the other night....i love to watch it come in off the ocean...i havent seen that for even more years....

i would love to live at the beach or new orleans lol

I have the water just out my window almost, but it's the Sound so not like the ocean but almost like it. All the storms here have to come from the north or wind around the peninsula so they tend to lose a lot of power by the time we get them. I love lightening though, on thing about Arizona storms that always made me want to stay there when I was traveling.

Hawaii has the weather one might expect to find in paradise.

Even their natural disasters seem designed to be of the kinder and gentler persuasion.

Hawai has had some huge slides that generated waves that placed ocean bottom debris as high as a thousand feet on the islands. One such tsunami created flood landforms like those found in Eastern Washington miles inland in North Eastern Australia. These seem to happen about every 100,000 years or so. It has been over 100,000 years since the last one, and the rift on the big island is moving.

Forum List

Back