Ask a cop a question...

A police officer can visually (meaning they can look for anything they can see) search your car without a warrant or you being in the car as it stands. If you leave a bag of cocaine on the front seat in full view, that gives them probable cause to search the rest of it.

So ordering people back into a car has nothing to do with facilitating an unlawful search and seizure.

In some states, officers can search your car, glovebox and everywhere you have access to while you drive without a warrant or your permission.

No they cannot. They used to be able to search the entire vehicle if they arrested you while you were in control of the car, which is why lawyers advised people to step out of the car, lock it, and put the keys on the roof, it severely limits the police in their ability to find incriminating evidence. More recent court decisions have limited what they can search to what is in arms reach of the driver, which only includes the glove box if it is not locked.

That applies in every single state. In other words, you are mistaken in your belief that police can search any part of your car without your permission. They can only do so if they arrest you.

That statute applied to directing traffic. Unless you can show me how you can stretch this to cover a situation like that in the video I do not agree.

What you keep forgetting is that you are not a police officer. Police are supposed to be trained to handle people that react badly to being stopped, and should defuse the situation. I have never defended Harper's reaction to the stop, just his right to ask why he is being stopped.

Unless Harper actually presented a danger to the officer, which he did not, even if you, personally, would have felt threatened in that situation. Police are trained to handle potentially dangerous situations and defuse them. That did not happen here.

No, we keep insisting that the police were wrong, there is a difference.

You do not believe that police have to tell you that you are under arrest? Since when?

Regardless, putting someone on the ground is if that person is an imminent threat. There were 4 cops there, he was not a threat to anyone.

I used to live with one, I know just how hard it is to reason with them. That does not mean I had the right to use force if she did not comply with a request that I felt was reasonable, nor does it mean the police have the right to do so either. They have a right to defend themselves, but not to initiate the use of force in an attempt to preemptively defend themselves from something that might happen.

Neither do I. Can you point out where this officer made any attempt to make sure that Harper was not mentally ill? Why are you assuming that he was when you continually point out that he was acting irrationally?

Of course not. Don't be absurd. Is Harper mentally ill? His cognition seems fine to me and he certainly didn't seem delusional. He might be manic, but that still doesn't give him a free pass.

If you did I psych rotation you are perfectly aware that psychotic people can appear reasonable. I have seen people who were caught up in the delusions that were so ridiculous that it makes no sense.

Police are trained to get control first. Once, they have control they can proceed.

They don't have to play nice nice with a guy coming over to them with his hands near his pockets demanding answers.

And they handled it very well. They gave the perp numerous changes to comply. They told him they would tazer him. By not complying they went to the next level of force.

The perp was handled well.

I also have issues if he should have been tazed so many times. I think that was wrong.

How is escalating a situation getting control of anything? Believe it or not, they do have to play nice. Since his employer, the city of Bountiful, Utah, settled the case, they clearly believed that he was either wrong, or that they could not defend their policy in court.

As an FYI, the guy is not a perp, he is a citizen.

I am not cherry picking. It's a statement of fact. It's not really relevant how it got that far, it's just worth noting that most people don't taunt a person who is pointing a loaded weapon at them.
Most people don't but some people do and that is the point. When you pull somebody over for virtual nothing you should be prepared to deal with the untypical response. Pointing your gun and shouting repetitious commands at a young man who has done nothing wrong and is prepared to challenge you is unwisely provocative. Think of what would have happened to that cop if he'd pulled the trigger and you'll understand the situation more clearly. An unarmed corpse who had broken no laws, not even a traffic law. Imagine the news headlines.

By the way, Dr. Go To Hell, you recently mentioned your current "rotation." I'm recalling the med student my oldest dated some years back. He was a nice young man who became an intern and used to fall asleep on our living room sofa a lot. They stopped dating because he never had enough time to even go to a movie, no less dancing. So I was wondering how you manage spending more time on the Internet than I do -- and I'm retired. Have the demands on med students' and interns' time changed since the 70s? If so, how does that affect the quality of a contemporary medical education?

Mike, you bring up some good points without having to resort to the personal stuff. There could be a myriad of reasons why Geaux is different from your eldest's old flame...

I am not cherry picking. It's a statement of fact. It's not really relevant how it got that far, it's just worth noting that most people don't taunt a person who is pointing a loaded weapon at them.
Most people don't but some people do and that is the point. When you pull somebody over for virtual nothing you should be prepared to deal with the untypical response. Pointing your gun and shouting repetitious commands at a young man who has done nothing wrong and is prepared to challenge you is unwisely provocative. Think of what would have happened to that cop if he'd pulled the trigger and you'll understand the situation more clearly. An unarmed corpse who had broken no laws, not even a traffic law. Imagine the news headlines.

By the way, Dr. Go To Hell, you recently mentioned your current "rotation." I'm recalling the med student my oldest dated some years back. He was a nice young man who became an intern and used to fall asleep on our living room sofa a lot. They stopped dating because he never had enough time to even go to a movie, no less dancing. So I was wondering how you manage spending more time on the Internet than I do -- and I'm retired. Have the demands on med students' and interns' time changed since the 70s? If so, how does that affect the quality of a contemporary medical education?

You know, i've never understood why people start being jerks questioning others' bona fides simply because they disagree with them.

what a putzy thing to do.

that is all...

Mike, you bring up some good points without having to resort to the personal stuff. There could be a myriad of reasons why Geaux is different from your eldest's old flame...

Med Student =/= Intern (a first year resident).

You know, i've never understood why people start being jerks questioning others' bona fides simply because they disagree with them.

that is all...

As if being a Med Student is even a bona fide. More like, "You are a Med Student, SFW?". If I wanted to lie, I'd just say I was a neurosurgeon.

that is all...

As if being a Med Student is even a bona fide. More like, "You are a Med Student, SFW?". If I wanted to lie, I'd just say I was a neurosurgeon.

i hear ya. though some of us think being en route to being a doctor is cool ... but regardless... i can't stand when people do that and i see it all the time on this board. he's just being a doofus.

I am not a Dr.

I'd be happy to explain where I am at in my education process if I thought you really gave a fuck and weren't in it for a cheap shot.

Until then, you can join the ranks of every other "you can't be in med school, you post here too much!" asshole. You number about three posters. You can also take the Alliebaba challenge and give me your address and I'll mail you a graduation invite next May. Until that time, I'll tell you what I tell the other two: I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not.
If I had said I think you are a bullshitter and a poseur there would be some cause for your indignation, but I didn't say that. I simply remarked about something I find extremely unusual and asked you a valid question. While I am not responsible for what three others here have said to you I must say I think you protest too much.

[You know, i've never understood why people start being jerks questioning others' bona fides simply because they disagree with them.

that is all...
You have often disagreed with me. Have I questioned your bona fides?

You're a lawyer, right?

What "personal stuff" am I "resorting" to?

While I haven't met any advanced med students or interns in recent years, in addition to the one I mentioned earlier I did meet several others through my late wife when we were younger. The one thing I recall about each and every one of them is they all seemed exhausted and complained about study pressures, exams and/or the long hours on rotations and not having time for anything else.

So if Go To Hell is in fact a medical intern I am curious to know what is different about his situation. And if he is in fact a medical intern there is no good reason why I didn't get a simple matter-of-fact reply to my question.

If you have any questions relating to anything I've volunteered about my personal or professional life please don't hesitate to ask.

And please climb down from the scolding perch because there is no basis for your complaint.

While I haven't met any advanced med students or interns in recent years, in addition to the one I mentioned earlier I did meet several others through my late wife when we were younger. The one thing I recall about each and every one of them is they all seemed exhausted and complained about study pressures, exams and/or the long hours on rotations and not having time for anything else.

So if Go To Hell is in fact a medical intern I am curious to know what is different about his situation. And if he is in fact a medical intern there is no good reason why I didn't get a simple matter-of-fact reply to my question.

If you have any questions relating to anything I've volunteered about my personal or professional life please don't hesitate to ask.

And please climb down from the scolding perch because there is no basis for your complaint.

My SIL is a doctor. Finished top five in her class. Never seemed tired and is at the top of her specialty. Never complained about study pressure in the three years I knew her when she was going through med school. Then again she was school dux and has never failed at anything in her life (well, except one exam that she never should have sat because she has pneumonia - resat is and aced it....)

Not a scoulding perch, but an unncessary sidetrack on a thread that has nothing to do with Geaux's college education

that is all...

Bona fides? Really? Idiot.

Jillian his reaction is normal, at least with me it is. If I know that have have been wrongly stopped I will treat the cop like an ass.

That would be a really dumb thing to do. You are not going to win a power stuggle against a cop.

If you have a problem with a cop either

1) Ask for the supervisor

2) Go the next day and make a complaint with the supervisor

I've called them chickenshit I have called them wet behind the ears punks. When they fuck with me I fuck back. They put their pants on the same way I do, and don't forget I use to wear the same uniform with a badge. I called one cop a stupid bastard in front to the magistrate because he tried to get me for a DWI which I blew a 0 the asshat had the nerve to ask if I was doing drugs in front of the magistrate. Whenb they justly stop me I treat them with respect, but when they don’t I come down on them hard.

You are in a unique position there, being either an Ex-Cop, or Retired Cop. You have credence with the Court. Make the best of it. For the rest of us, that Blue Wall of Silence does sometimes kick in. Just like when you go through the experience of having the mistakes of an incompetent surgeon corrected, it's one thing to get the fix, and another to get one Doctor to testify against another in Court. Maybe it's just Human Nature to circle the wagons, but more times than not, that's just the way it is.

Not a scoulding perch, but an unncessary sidetrack on a thread that has nothing to do with Geaux's college education
It's really not your concern, now is it?

Nor is Geaux's education yours...shrug...
That is quite debatable.

E.g., did anyone here inquire about your occupational background? If not, why did you see fit to tell us you were a police officer in New Zealand? The effect of volunteering that information, whether intentional or not, is enhancement of your perceived personal status and expansion of your credibility in matters of law enforcement procedure. Some here choose not to believe you. In fact, one or two have called you a liar.

In the matter of Dr. GoToHell I did nothing of the kind. I merely observed something which struck me as rather unusual, so I commented on it and asked a simple question, for which I received a flurry of excessively defensive criticism. And I don't mind telling you that I believe the underlying purpose of that criticism is defense of the critics, themselves.

You have no valid cause to criticize either my stated observation of or my question to another participant in this forum. It is none of your business. I did not insult or in any way accuse Dr. GoToHell of any deception. So it is his place to respond to my perfectly civil and reasonable question, not yours.

It's really not your concern, now is it?

Nor is Geaux's education yours...shrug...
That is quite debatable.

E.g., did anyone here inquire about your occupational background? If not, why did you see fit to tell us you were a police officer in New Zealand? The effect of volunteering that information, whether intentional or not, is enhancement of your perceived personal status and expansion of your credibility in matters of law enforcement procedure. Some here choose not to believe you. In fact, one or two have called you a liar.

In the matter of Dr. GoToHell I did nothing of the kind. I merely observed something which struck me as rather unusual, so I commented on it and asked a simple question, for which I received a flurry of excessively defensive criticism. And I don't mind telling you that I believe the underlying purpose of that criticism is defense of the critics, themselves.

You have no valid cause to criticize either my stated observation of or my question to another participant in this forum. It is none of your business. I did not insult or in any way accuse Dr. GoToHell of any deception. So it is his place to respond to my perfectly civil and reasonable question, not yours.

What has my voluteering of information about my past employment got to do with you questioning Geaux's? Hint: Nada

You were not calling him a liar, you were questioning his credentials. If you say "I know of creatures that breathe underwater, through gills, and most have scales" you are talking about a fish. Just because you haven't said the word fish, it doesn't mean it's not a fish. If you wish to use the subtlies and nuances of the English language to make a point and then try and hide behind it by claiming you said no such thing, then you need to realise you're not posting with a bunch of pre schoolers.

It is ALL of our places to respond. This is a public messageboard. If you do not want our responses, use the PM function. That is what it is there for.

That would be a really dumb thing to do. You are not going to win a power stuggle against a cop.

If you have a problem with a cop either

1) Ask for the supervisor

2) Go the next day and make a complaint with the supervisor

I've called them chickenshit I have called them wet behind the ears punks. When they fuck with me I fuck back. They put their pants on the same way I do, and don't forget I use to wear the same uniform with a badge. I called one cop a stupid bastard in front to the magistrate because he tried to get me for a DWI which I blew a 0 the asshat had the nerve to ask if I was doing drugs in front of the magistrate. Whenb they justly stop me I treat them with respect, but when they don’t I come down on them hard.

You are in a unique position there, being either an Ex-Cop, or Retired Cop. You have credence with the Court. Make the best of it. For the rest of us, that Blue Wall of Silence does sometimes kick in. Just like when you go through the experience of having the mistakes of an incompetent surgeon corrected, it's one thing to get the fix, and another to get one Doctor to testify against another in Court. Maybe it's just Human Nature to circle the wagons, but more times than not, that's just the way it is.

True but as I said when I have been unjustly stopped I've give the victim both barrels.

Here's your simple, matter of fact, explanation: I am not an intern.

An intern is a full fledged physician in their first year of residency training. I never claimed to be an intern. You obviously don't know the difference between Medical Student and Resident. Furthermore, I just entered my senior year and am on a relatively easy rotation and enjoying a breather after being on hard rotations for a solid year.

You might notice I was basically AWOL in March and April. That was a black hole known as Surgery Rotation.

Last edited:
I think some people need a tazering for getting us this so rediculously off topic.

Here's your simple, matter of fact, explanation: I am not an intern.

An intern is a full fledged physician in their first year of residency training. I never claimed to be an intern. You obviously don't know the difference between Medical Student and Resident. Furthermore, I just entered my senior year and am on a relatively easy rotation and enjoying a breather after being on hard rotations for a solid year.

You might notice I was basically AWOL in March and April. That was a black hole known as Surgery Rotation.

I hope you bought the book of 'pimp' questions. My favorinte in psych is 'what's the first metabolite of Thorazine.' Actually when you are thinking about Soma, that can be quite an interesting answer!!!!

Forum List

Back