Ask a cop a question...

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    get tazed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SktFRLJ5BBs]YouTube - ‪Federal Lawsuit after Guy Tasered 6 Times for not Complying after Routine Traffic Stop‬‏[/ame]

Watch the statists line up to justify this get getting tazed for not following orders.

Guess what, police do not have the power to give orders, all they have the power to do is make requests.

Some back story and thoughtful commentary is found here.

Simple Justice: The First Rule of Policing: A Demonstration

I tend to agree with the idea that the police need to protect themselves first, but this had obviously reached the point where the guy was not a danger to anyone, and there was no need to use force to walk away from the encounter safely. The cop could simply have explained to the otherwise law abiding citizen that he was pulled over because his front license was crooked. Instead he shot him with a deadly weapon.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Boo Hoo Hoo. If the cop was wrong then there will be consequences.

Personally I think anyone STUPID enough to argue with the cops deserves what ever non lethal thing happens to them. They have a job to do and we have no business harassing them while they do it.

It is simply amazing that when you do not harass them nothing happens.

3. Jos

Jos BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +733
    The last seconds of that video was like watching someone being Tortured by six big bullies:eek:

4. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    I'm a huge civil libertarian, but sorry, you're just plain wrong on this one. That guy was being unnecessarily confrontational and that police officer exhibited the patients of Job before he used any action against him. If I were that cop I would have perceived him as a threat as well. The police were justified on this one. You need to exercise common sense.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,062
    If you were keeping score at home, and want the answer to how many times that driver failed to comply with the police officer's perfectly clear directions, then you probably lost count.

Cops can be wrong, too. But that driver brought this shit down on his own dumb ass.

Cops have EVERY right to want to make it home at the end of their tour of duty each work day, and when they make ANY traffic stop, it could be their last. This leads to a very simple rule. Pull the fuck over. Turn on the inside dome light. Put your hands ON the wheel so the cop can SEE them. Let the police officer feel perfectly safe and do and say whatever he needs to do and say. (What's the fuckin' big deal? You're gonna get a damn ticket you can fight in Court? Give me a break. Just take the fuckin' ticket and suck it up.)

That driver COULD have and should have stayed in the car and, going out on a wild limb here, complied with the officer's perfectly reasonable directions. He wouldn't have gotten tazed. End of story.

6. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,388
    Interesting read. Thanks

"What this serves to do is shift the burden of choice to the citizen, to the Bruce Harpers. Do we comply with the unlawful commands of the police officer, who has no lawful authority to tell us how high to jump in order to apply the first rule of policing, or do we assert our right to be left alone?

Make no mistake about it: Should you be bold enough to believe that law-abiding citizens are entitled to go about their lives without seizure by the police, or acquiescence to their commands, and thereby challenge the first rule of policing, there will be a price to pay.

On the other hand, it may come to pass, long after the fact, that there is some compensation for the pain suffered. Harper and the City of Bountiful, Utah, settled his civil suit for an undisclosed amount. Whether it was worth it is unknown."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    There were consequences, the city settled a civil suit with the guy. that, by your definition, makes the cop wrong.

Why is it stupid to expect the police to justify themselves when they stop you? Last time I looked they are actually required to justify every stop they make, they cannot just stop you because they feel like hassling you.

8. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Unnecessarily confrontational? Where does that line exist?

9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    The cop could easily have explained why he stopped him and simply written a ticket. Instead he chose to escalate the situation, call in backup, and deliver a potentially lethal shock to someone simply because he was annoyed.

10. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    All of the parties to this were idiots. This was obviously a test of wills between the suspect and the cop. The cop let the suspect win the test of wills, by not taking action IMMEDIATELY when the suspect refused to comply with his demand to get back in the car. The cop sounds like a young officer. Police are trained to yell loudly at people, over and over again, repeating the same phrase, in order to take command of the situation. This young cop did that, but it clearly was not working.

Notice how the suspect kept walking closer and closer to the officer? The suspect was winning the confrontation, not the cop.

The suspect kept asking the officer to justify the stop. "What did I do?" The officer owed the suspect an explanation, but NOT THEN. If the cop had told the suspect what he had done, the next thing out of the suspect's mouth would have been an argument as to why he didn't do whatever it was the cop stopped him for, and the situation would have gone downhill from there and, at the same time, the guy still would not be back in his car. Get him back in the car and THEN discuss things. So the cop was correct in not justifying the stop when the suspect was asking for the justtification. But still, the cop let the whole thing go on WAY too long. He should have threatened the guy with the taser right off the bat and hit him with it if the guy didn't comply.

Now, having said that, even this old liberal has trouble being sympathetic to the moron who got out of his car. You just don't get out of your car when you get stopped. You sit there with your hands in plain sight on the wheel. But then, I'm not a 28-year-old, probably a little drunk, asshole kid with an attitude, as the driver of this car obviously was.

He's going to lose his federal suit. At least he would if I was on the jury.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011