As Texas deep freeze subsides, some households now face electricity bills as high as $10,000

This is pure capitalism and consumers get screwed when that happens.
Sometimes they benefit. Sometimes there are losses. Consumers benefit and get screwed. We are smart enough to see these things coming and to keep our citizens secure. We just don't give a shit, really.

WTF?
How do you end up with 10k electric bills when you have no power?
Our E bill in the hottest part of the year runs $1400 hundred. Thats with three central air units and power to run the pool pump.
I call bullshit.
Somebody's gotta pay for all.that maintenance they haven't been doing for the last decade or two

Prove it.
Prove what? That maintenance wasn't done? Look at last week. That somebody's gotta pay for it? That shit don't happen for free.

No one is getting a bill for 10 grand ya numbskull.

WTF?
Our E bill in the hottest part of the year runs $1400 hundred. Thats with three central air units and power to run the pool pump.
I call bullshit.
Somebody's gotta pay for all.that maintenance they haven't been doing for the last decade or two

Prove it.
Prove what? That maintenance wasn't done? Look at last week. That somebody's gotta pay for it? That shit don't happen for free.

What about $17,000 Dollars?

This is a corruption of capitalism. Or is that redundant?
It is none of the above. This is just capitalism. It's not corrupt, or evil, or anything at all but an algorithm. A shark is not "corrupt" when it eats your leg. It's just being a shark, which has been a very successful model for millions of years. Sharks are useful and necessary. But I would not recommend letting 10 of them run wild, unchecked, in the fish display at the Shedd Aquarium. A few might be fine.

Point being, the shark is just an algorithm. It does what it does.

This is pure capitalism and consumers get screwed when that happens. Texas has no regulations to protect consumers from being gouged. It shows how far to the right Texas has gone. Worth noting that Abbott has gotten more money from the energy industry than any Texas governor in history. Pure corruption.
And the Rightwing on this site will defend it. Even when they’re getting screwed.

If I get a insanely high electric bill I am going to wipe my ass with it and return to sender.
And they will shut off your power and send the balance to a collection agency. If you are in the position to flip them off and let it drop off your credit in 7 years, because you don't borrow money at all, consider yourself one of the fortunate ones. The rest of the country has record levels of debt.

If I get a insanely high electric bill I am going to wipe my ass with it and return to sender.
And they will shut off your power and send the balance to a collection agency. If you are in the position to flip them off and let it drop off your credit in 7 years, because you don't borrow money at all, consider yourself one of the fortunate ones. The rest of the country has record levels of debt.
The collections agency will also get an asswiped envelope returned to sender

I was reading an article earlier today about a Texas woman who last Febuary paid $33 for electric. This month she owes them over $2800. She goes through one of those wholesale electric providers, and they're actually advising their customers to drop their service for the time being to avoid having to charge them ridiculous fees.

the Rightwing on this site will defend it. Even when they’re getting screwed.
Understandable, in terms of base ideology. Sure, let every person make his own way. Libertarianism and individualism. I get it. Then it happens to them.
The collections agency will also get an asswiped envelope returned to sender
Consider yourself fortunate that you don't have to worry about the damage to your credit.

Unacceptable! What kind of country are we, that we toss our citizens to the wolves? Why do we suck so bad? Cold snap? Tough , go bankrupt, that's your problem.

Broke your leg and got an infection? Tough, go bankrupt.

Homeless? Tough. Just, ya know, go somewhere we can't SEE you. K, thx

Mentally ill? Tough luck! If you really crash, we have prisons where we can keep you. Again, mostly for the purposes of not having to see you.

$10,000? per month utility bill? Yeah, that sounds about average for a studio apartment in freakin' Fairbanks/North Pole in Alaska!

Unacceptable! What kind of country are we, that we toss our citizens to the wolves? Why do we suck so bad? Cold snap? Tough , go bankrupt, that's your problem.

Mentally ill? Tough luck! If you really crash, we have prisons where we can keep you. Again, mostly for the purposes of not having to see you.
Unfortunately, it’s impossible to respond to your post without making it political…

But is indeed about politics.

It’s about failed, wrongheaded political, social, and economic conservative dogma; the idiotic, baseless notion that to ensure Americans have a place to live, are able to adequately heat their homes, and have access to affordable healthcare without going bankrupt acts as a ‘disincentive’; conservativism is fundamentally Social Darwinism.

An example of this is Republicans’ unwarranted opposition to the stimulus package currently making its way through Congress, the right’s groundless claim that increased benefits for unemployed Americans would “discourage people from looking for work,” an ‘argument’ as ridiculous as it is false.
The company I work for made the decision that anyone who was afraid of getting the virus could stay at home and collect unemployment. When some of those people realized they made the same staying at home, guess what they did ?

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to respond to your post without making it political…

But is indeed about politics.

It’s about failed, wrongheaded political, social, and economic conservative dogma; the idiotic, baseless notion that to ensure Americans have a place to live, are able to adequately heat their homes, and have access to affordable healthcare without going bankrupt acts as a ‘disincentive’; conservativism is fundamentally Social Darwinism.

An example of this is Republicans’ unwarranted opposition to the stimulus package currently making its way through Congress, the right’s groundless claim that increased benefits for unemployed Americans would “discourage people from looking for work,” an ‘argument’ as ridiculous as it is false.
Oh Brother---you sure want other people's money. Unemployed people have unemployment insurance--why is the government paying them more to not work?

Not that this matters, because the money giveaway isn't really meant for those on the bottom, but to buy votes and to have lots of money to funnel around to help the dems billionaire puppet masters like china and Bezos and used dealers--

1613805186410.png

1613805430221.png

Power went out, huh?
That must have been really inconvenient and uncomfortable..... you know, for those folks who never planned ahead for that sort of thing.

:cool:

That better not be the case. I was lucky enough to keep my power and water unlike many of my friends and neighbors who I put up at my house for the week. I consumed electricity but I had multiple households who had no power or water staying with me. If I get a insanely high electric bill I am going to wipe my ass with it and return to sender.
I think if they are decent people they will offer you some share in paying the bill. Are any real possibilities to sue the electric companies for failing to provide their services?

That better not be the case. I was lucky enough to keep my power and water unlike many of my friends and neighbors who I put up at my house for the week. I consumed electricity but I had multiple households who had no power or water staying with me. If I get a insanely high electric bill I am going to wipe my ass with it and return to sender.
I think if they are decent people they will offer you some share in paying the bill. Are any real possibilities to sue the electric companies for failing to provide their services?
I dont think you can sue for outages but for them to jack up the rates in the middle of an emergency without warning is really messed up. I hope this doesn’t effect consumers like was claimed in the OP or there are going to be millions of furious Texans

I dont think you can sue for outages but for them to jack up the rates in the middle of an emergency without warning is really messed up. I hope this doesn’t effect consumers like was claimed in the OP or there are going to be millions of furious Texans
Well, that is how the things work there, isn't it? The lack of regulation in an energy sector has both advantages and disadvantages.

This is a corruption of capitalism. Or is that redundant?
It is none of the above. This is just capitalism. It's not corrupt, or evil, or anything at all but an algorithm. A shark is not "corrupt" when it eats your leg. It's just being a shark, which has been a very successful model for millions of years. Sharks are useful and necessary. But I would not recommend letting 10 of them run wild, unchecked, in the fish display at the Shedd Aquarium. A few might be fine.

Point being, the shark is just an algorithm. It does what it does.
Why does algore have to be involved ?

People that will be hit with such bills are the ones that did not lock their rate in and were on a plan that fluctuate their rate...

The plan I am on lock in the rate for two whole years and can not rise during times like this, so reliant is screwed with me.

As for the others who will see large bills, well I am sorry and I wish they thought like I did to lock in their plan because you never know when shit like this will hit you...

Now with that written I still believe natural resources and utilities should never be in the private sector hands because you run the chance of abuse like we will see but the people of Texas love to be abused, so unless they change the laws here there is not much that can be done...

People that will be hit with such bills are the ones that did not lock their rate in and were on a plan that fluctuate their rate...

The plan I am on lock in the rate for two whole years and can not rise during times like this, so reliant is screwed with me.

As for the others who will see large bills, well I am sorry and I wish they thought like I did to lock in their plan because you never know when shit like this will hit you...

Now with that written I still believe natural resources and utilities should never be in the private sector hands because you run the chance of abuse like we will see but the people of Texas love to be abused, so unless they change the laws here there is not much that can be done...
If not the private sector, then who?

No one abuses people more than governments do.

WTF?
I call bullshit.

Prove it.

What about $17,000 Dollars?
Well, that's adding insult to injury. The electric companies can't possibly expect people to pay that.

Forum List

Back