As I keep saying....

Thanks for responding antagon - always good to read other viewpoints that don't simply rely on ideology for their rationale.

And although I've said this before I will again - I fully accept that a nation of about 22 million people is vastly different from one with 300 million plus and a much more complex society. Any suggestions I might put forward are for the purposes of illustration only and must be considered mutatis mutandis.

You can do it if we can, the US should be able to do this easily...

When Pulitzer Prize winner Geraldine Brooks was diagnosed with cancer overseas, she didn’t hightail it back home, to “the best health care in the world”—she stayed in Australia, home to a humane, rational system.

In 2004, I’d just finished a novel and by way of celebration had taken my family for an extended visit to Australia, where I was born and raised.

I didn’t expect that trip to save my life. But I’m convinced it did, because of Australia’s “socialized” medicine.

I retreat to my garret when I write a novel, especially toward the end. I stop going anyplace, wear sweat pants all day, neglect personal grooming. Back in the Sydney neighborhood where I’d lived for many years, I was re-entering the civilized world, and was on the way to a salon for an overdue haircut when I passed the BreastScreen van, parked in the main street.This mobile service offers free mammograms, no appointment necessary. It wasn’t until I saw that van that I realized a mammogram was one of the things I’d forgotten to do. I was a year overdue, according to the guidelines for women my age, so I stepped into the van, got squished and zapped by a pleasantly efficient technician, who told me a radiologists’ report would be mailed out in a week or so.

Two weeks later, I was in a Sydney hospital, discussing treatment options for my invasive stage II cancer. According to testimony by Senator John Barrasso (R-WY) at last Thursday’s health-care summit, I should have been heading for the airport at that point. Like his unnamed Canadian state[sic] premier with the heart condition, I should have been hightailing it to the U.S., to avail myself of “the best health care in the world.”

More at link - Socialized Medicine Saved Me - The Daily Beast

it works there because you live in bazaaro land where left is right and right is left.. so people have to drive on the wrong side of the road and mammals have duck bills..even the water goes the wrong way down the drain..

You can do it if we can, the US should be able to do this easily...

When Pulitzer Prize winner Geraldine Brooks was diagnosed with cancer overseas, she didn’t hightail it back home, to “the best health care in the world”—she stayed in Australia, home to a humane, rational system.

In 2004, I’d just finished a novel and by way of celebration had taken my family for an extended visit to Australia, where I was born and raised.

I didn’t expect that trip to save my life. But I’m convinced it did, because of Australia’s “socialized” medicine.

I retreat to my garret when I write a novel, especially toward the end. I stop going anyplace, wear sweat pants all day, neglect personal grooming. Back in the Sydney neighborhood where I’d lived for many years, I was re-entering the civilized world, and was on the way to a salon for an overdue haircut when I passed the BreastScreen van, parked in the main street.This mobile service offers free mammograms, no appointment necessary. It wasn’t until I saw that van that I realized a mammogram was one of the things I’d forgotten to do. I was a year overdue, according to the guidelines for women my age, so I stepped into the van, got squished and zapped by a pleasantly efficient technician, who told me a radiologists’ report would be mailed out in a week or so.

Two weeks later, I was in a Sydney hospital, discussing treatment options for my invasive stage II cancer. According to testimony by Senator John Barrasso (R-WY) at last Thursday’s health-care summit, I should have been heading for the airport at that point. Like his unnamed Canadian state[sic] premier with the heart condition, I should have been hightailing it to the U.S., to avail myself of “the best health care in the world.”

More at link - Socialized Medicine Saved Me - The Daily Beast

it works there because you live in bazaaro land where left is right and right is left.. so people have to drive on the wrong side of the road and mammals have duck bills..even the water goes the wrong way down the drain..

:lol: and the swans are mainly black :lol:

Thanks for responding antagon - always good to read other viewpoints that don't simply rely on ideology for their rationale.

And although I've said this before I will again - I fully accept that a nation of about 22 million people is vastly different from one with 300 million plus and a much more complex society. Any suggestions I might put forward are for the purposes of illustration only and must be considered mutatis mutandis.
and you know what Di....many do not think the population difference matters....everytime i mention this people Like Political Junky will answer by saying the population numbers have very little to do with it....i dont see how it doesnt....

that i dont know.....i just do the co-pay,she goes in has it done....and thats that.....

And that right there is the problem with the American health care system.

what?....15 dollar co-pays?....explain your statement....

Not hard.
There is an actual cost to deliver service. One cannot legislate a lower cost without creating a shortage.
The basic issue is that people are not paying for their own healthcare directly, so they have no idea how much it actually costs. Therefore they do not shop around, get competitive bids, etc just liek they would do with any other service they actually pay for.
This is the essential problem.
The administration's proposals (whichever one we are talking about) will only make this problem worse, not better.

Forum List

Back