As a Veteran I would gladly contribute to the "Wounded Warriors" ..but

What do y'all lefties want to do? We have a legitimate charity that Veterans and the public gladly contribute to based mostly heart breaking ads showing brain damaged Veterans and Veterans missing limbs but the charity also includes Veterans allegedly suffering from PTSD. The government description of PTSD doesn't even restrict the mental disorder to combat Veterans. Any enterprising idiot who has served in the Military can fake nightmares and use PTSD in a defense of domestic abuse, drug addiction and assorted misdemeanors related to substance abuse without having to prove that he was ever in a freaking combat situation. I wish I could contribute to a legitimate charity related to Veteran benefits if they would refine their PTSD agenda.

"Fake PTSD!"

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

You are on patrol and you watch as your bunk mate steps on a mine and gets half his body torn away. You are spattered with his blood and stand by helpless as medics try to save him. You then watch as he's loaded onto a air evac chopper and taken away.

That night, as you sit on your bunk, you stare at the empty space where your friend had been but hours before.

What would YOUR reaction be?

If you can't understand that, then don't donate to ANY veteran charity. Send your $$$ to an orphanage or other place for children in dire need.

In my opinion, too many of todays veterans jump on the PTSD gravy train for an economic free ride. ..... :cool:
It is not as easy to get a VA disability for PTSD as you seem to think.

One must be evaluated by several therapists/psychiatrists over a period of time before the application goes before a board for the determination. It can takes years to get this done.

Sadly, there are hundreds - if not thousands - of veterans suffering from PTSD who take their own lives before they truly receive help.

Although national tracking of veteran suicide rates is unreliable at best, the VA estimates that 22 veterans commit suicide each day. This means approximately 8,030 veterans kill themselves every year, more than 5,540 of whom are 50 or older.Apr 13, 2014
Why Are So Many Older Veterans Committing Suicide?
upload_2015-10-17_10-53-27.png

www.nationaljournal.com/.../why-are-so-many-older-veter...

About 86 Americans commit suicide each day. It's the tenth leading cause of death in this country. We can break that number down into several populations-age, race, religion, etc...One specific population with a higher than average suicide rate right now is the Veteran population. The stats vary slightly but the one that I am most familiar with is 23 Veteran suicides per day and 1 Active duty soldier per day...that is one military suicide per hour every day. I call that an epidemic.

Blog: 23 Veterans Commit Suicide Every Day

Last edited:
What do y'all lefties want to do? We have a legitimate charity that Veterans and the public gladly contribute to based mostly heart breaking ads showing brain damaged Veterans and Veterans missing limbs but the charity also includes Veterans allegedly suffering from PTSD. The government description of PTSD doesn't even restrict the mental disorder to combat Veterans. Any enterprising idiot who has served in the Military can fake nightmares and use PTSD in a defense of domestic abuse, drug addiction and assorted misdemeanors related to substance abuse without having to prove that he was ever in a freaking combat situation. I wish I could contribute to a legitimate charity related to Veteran benefits if they would refine their PTSD agenda.

"Fake PTSD!"

You are on patrol and you watch as your bunk mate steps on a mine and gets half his body torn away. You are spattered with his blood and stand by helpless as medics try to save him. You then watch as he's loaded onto a air evac chopper and taken away.

That night, as you sit on your bunk, you stare at the empty space where your friend had been but hours before.

If you can't understand that, then don't donate to ANY veteran charity. Send your $$$ to an orphanage or other place for children in dire need.
People fake ptsd. Not all, but some.
Here's an example -
Iraq and Afghanistan war vet to spend nearly a year in jail

"Fake PTSD!"

Here's an example -

This article does not state that the Veteran faked PTSD. It states that the Veteran was granted leniency because he had combat related PTSD, but eventually had to serve time in jail because he continued to commit crimes.

"Fake PTSD!"

Here's an example -

This article does not state that the Veteran faked PTSD. It states that the Veteran was granted leniency because he had combat related PTSD, but eventually had to serve time in jail because he continued to commit crimes.
Sorry. You aren't likely to find an article that says someone is faking. However, i happen to personally know the guy. He operated a pallet jack unloading cargo planes during his deployments. Always on base, never under fire.

How much ptsd does that cause?

"Fake PTSD!"

Here's an example -

Sorry. You aren't likely to find an article that says someone is faking. However, i happen to personally know the guy. He operated a pallet jack unloading cargo planes during his deployments. Always on base, never under fire.

How much ptsd does that cause?
I wasn't in the war, and I didn't stand by his side. I have no idea what he experienced. I am in no position to make that judgement call.

Read the "qualifications" the V.A. uses to award a PTSD disability. It relies on a word the government seems to have invented. "Stressors" include "fear of military or terrorist action" or some type of sexual encounter. Granted there are real accounts of witnessing horrific wounds but PTSD isn't limited to actual combat activity. It specifies fear of combat. If the Wounded Warriors program specified that PTSD awards were limited to actual combat or even better, the award of a Purple Heart I would be personally satisfied that the fund doesn't squander my donation on a wife beating drug abuser who can't hold a job.

Read the "qualifications" the V.A. uses to award a PTSD disability. It relies on a word the government seems to have invented. "Stressors" include "fear of military or terrorist action" or some type of sexual encounter. Granted there are real accounts of witnessing horrific wounds but PTSD isn't limited to actual combat activity. It specifies fear of combat. If the Wounded Warriors program specified that PTSD awards were limited to actual combat or even better, the award of a Purple Heart I would be personally satisfied that the fund doesn't squander my donation on a wife beating drug abuser who can't hold a job.

Look, there's one simple solution to your so-called dilemma - DON'T CONTRIBUTE!

Yeah but that's not good enough. Wounded Warriors (long) ads feature heartbreaking little stories about horrific wounds suffered by genuine heroes who have been wounded by snipers and sappers in a conflict that the U.S. obviously chooses not to win (but that's another story). The fine print in the Wounded Warrior well done ads includes stated support for Veterans suffering from PTSD. It's no secret that PTSD has been used as a criminal defense in cases from DUI to drug possession and even murder. Since the federal guidelines for PTSD pensions don't even require the "stressor" of actual combat but only the fear of combat or (in the case of female Soldiers) a sexual assault, somebody in the Wounded Warrior program should be required to clarify the situation.

Yeah but that's not good enough. Wounded Warriors (long) ads feature heartbreaking little stories about horrific wounds suffered by genuine heroes who have been wounded by snipers and sappers in a conflict that the U.S. obviously chooses not to win (but that's another story). The fine print in the Wounded Warrior well done ads includes stated support for Veterans suffering from PTSD. It's no secret that PTSD has been used as a criminal defense in cases from DUI to drug possession and even murder. Since the federal guidelines for PTSD pensions don't even require the "stressor" of actual combat but only the fear of combat or (in the case of female Soldiers) a sexual assault, somebody in the Wounded Warrior program should be required to clarify the situation.

Hello Everyone, I just singed up here after reading all the posts related to the "Wounded Warrior Program' and "PTSD," )Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

PART 1
At the end of WWII, all the "Shell Shocked" combatants had been funnelled into Northern New York to a medical centre, where an army of medical personnel arrived for evaluating the mental health issues of those military combatants. The US Army Signal Corps, Capt. John Houston (Hollywood director) and his Army film ream were brought there for filming the entire program for historical and medical recording. Needless to say that Capt. Houston and his team did an excellent job of recording everything.

When political and military leaders watched that film, they were shocked to see just how terrible an affect that WWII had on those combatants. So, they graded that film with a "Top Secrete" classification and then buried it deep under ground. Thus the reason that when we came back from the Korean and Vietnam wars, there was "NO ONE" in the mental health field in the US who had any idea or knowledge of war related mental health issues, such as PTSD!

Around about 1989-1990 time period that film was finally down graded in it's security classification and transferred onto VHS video tape. I know this because in 1994, I watched a video of that film at the El Paso, TX, Vet Centre and I now have that same movie on DVD here at home.

The US government does not regulate the medical guidelines for diagnosis of PTSD or any other mental health issue(s). Mental health issues are regulated and provided guide lines in the "DSM-IV," which is regulated by the APA (American Psychiatric Association).

PART 2
Two types of wounded warriors (men & women)
A: Wounds with blood coming out of the person.
Legs, Arms, and other parts of body parts gone missing.
Group A regulates to the "Purple Heart Medal" being awarded to the combatant.

B: Unseen wounds such as PTSD, other mental health issues.
Seen or unseen wounds such as TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)
Unseen wounds such as PTSD, other mental health issues related to "Sexual Assault"
in or out of the war zone(s).

Stressors of PTSD
Depression
Anxiety
Fight or Flight
Nightmares
Flashbacks
Paranoia
Anger
Self Medicating (med drugs, street drugs, alcohol, etc.
Survival Guilt

PART 3
National Medical Research Evaluation that was conducted in 1978 showed that troops on bases were actually more prone to attaining PTSD in comparison to their troop counterparts out in the bush fighting the enemy. The unknowing of when "In-coming Rounds," were going to hit their base was far more stressful in comparison being out in the bush as those combatants fully knew what to expect when encountering the enemy. But, realize that these are only examples in comparison to the real world of combat. And that evaluation most likely has changed a lot with the amount of TBI related IED's.

Part 4
Expecting any man or woman diagnosed with PTSD to dealing with it on their own and or getting a grip on it, is quite "STUPID" a mentality from anyone who has never walked a mile in the boots of anyone with PTSD.

"Nightmares," are "REAL" and all too many veterans live with them 24/7, thus the reasoning why so many victims do resort to "Self Medicating" themselves, as they try blocking those dreams and memories completely out of their minds.

YES! There have been and most likely will be even more coming down the road who are faking in having PTSD. Just a nature of some sub-humans (hit Happens). But, most clinicians can often see through those people as all too often they tip themselves off to the clinician(s), while going through the complete diagnosis procedure. We also have a few intensive mental health tests that also help in identifying the REAL from the Unreal individuals. I won't state what they are as it will come up if the clinical evaluator chooses to utilize any of them.

Do understand a very important part here in reference to the PTSD or other mental health issues diagnosis procedure conducted by the Dept. of VA, Vet Centres and other mental health facilities; the entire military personal field file and military medical records are reviewed by the clinician conducting that diagnosis as well. So, even when a soldier is on the military base all year in a combat zone, he or she may have served one or more tours of duty in various locations of the combat zones as well as Iraq and or Afghanistan as examples. So, the buddies of that combatant will never really know all that was involved in that military service member being awarded SC (Service Connection) for disability related to military service.

I have had vet clients who had traumatic events happen to them while on military leave, which is not near any combat zone. So, I would encourage everyone here to learn more about traumatic events and how they relate to the Dept. of VA awards for SC!

As for who I am, here is the following info on me:
1. US Army Retired (SFC/E-7)-----Vietnam and Operations Desert Shield/Storm.
2. M60A1, M60A3 & M1A1 Abrams Battle Tank.
3. MSW (masters degree social worker) primary focus, Mental Health & Medical retired.
4. Dept. of VA clinical therapist.
5. VFW Service Officer & Chaplain

Have a great day guys!

Last edited:

Hello Everyone, I just singed up here after reading all the posts related to the "Wounded Warrior Program' and "PTSD," )Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

PART 1
At the end of WWII, all the "Shell Shocked" combatants had been funnelled into Northern New York to a medical centre, where an army of medical personnel arrived for evaluating the mental health issues of those military combatants. The US Army Signal Corps, Capt. John Houston (Hollywood director) and his Army film ream were brought there for filming the entire program for historical and medical recording. Needless to say that Capt. Houston and his team did an excellent job of recording everything.

When political and military leaders watched that film, they were shocked to see just how terrible an affect that WWII had on those combatants. So, they graded that film with a "Top Secrete" classification and then buried it deep under ground. Thus the reason that when we came back from the Korean and Vietnam wars, there was "NO ONE" in the mental health field in the US who had any idea or knowledge of war related mental health issues, such as PTSD!

Around about 1989-1990 time period that film was finally down graded in it's security classification and transferred onto VHS video tape. I know this because in 1994, I watched a video of that film at the El Paso, TX, Vet Centre and I now have that same movie on DVD here at home.

The US government does not regulate the medical guidelines for diagnosis of PTSD or any other mental health issue(s). Mental health issues are regulated and provided guide lines in the "DSM-IV," which is regulated by the APA (American Psychiatric Association).

PART 1

I'm what you might call a "vintage Veteran". I grew up with WW2 Veterans and I served with Korean War Veterans. My Uncle served less than six months total during WW2 and came back with a grotesque twisted short leg and earned the nickname of Bumpy Gallagher. Today's Veterans in Iraq and Afghanistan survive with horrific injuries because of the advances in traumatic injury treatment and the skill of medical technicians that weren't around during WW2 or Korea and only in a limited way Vietnam war. The point is that Wounded Warriors supports Veterans who claim PTSD. I won't contribute to Wounded Warriors as long as they stretch their limited funds to support Veterans who suffer from substance abuse and claim to have nightmares. If the WW program limits funding to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart I would gladly contribute. I won't contribute to a program that funds the lifestyles of Veterans who imagine they were in combat.

You're a veteran? Prove it. I say you're an asshole who doesn't deserve the title.
Prove it? I didn't know it was a title. Why does the PTSD issue elicit such anger? All I am saying is that I would gladly contribute to the Wounded Warriors program if they could convince me that my contributions would not go to the rehabilitation of alcoholics and drug addicts who pretend to have nightmares.
Do they have the nightmares because they drink and do drugs or do they drink and do drugs as a means to escape the nightmares. Cause and effect.

I'm what you might call a "vintage Veteran". I grew up with WW2 Veterans and I served with Korean War Veterans. My Uncle served less than six months total during WW2 and came back with a grotesque twisted short leg and earned the nickname of Bumpy Gallagher. Today's Veterans in Iraq and Afghanistan survive with horrific injuries because of the advances in traumatic injury treatment and the skill of medical technicians that weren't around during WW2 or Korea and only in a limited way Vietnam war. The point is that Wounded Warriors supports Veterans who claim PTSD. I won't contribute to Wounded Warriors as long as they stretch their limited funds to support Veterans who suffer from substance abuse and claim to have nightmares. If the WW program limits funding to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart I would gladly contribute. I won't contribute to a program that funds the lifestyles of Veterans who imagine they were in combat.

You're a veteran? Prove it. I say you're an asshole who doesn't deserve the title.
Prove it? I didn't know it was a title. Why does the PTSD issue elicit such anger? All I am saying is that I would gladly contribute to the Wounded Warriors program if they could convince me that my contributions would not go to the rehabilitation of alcoholics and drug addicts who pretend to have nightmares.
Do they have the nightmares because they drink and do drugs or do they drink and do drugs as a means to escape the nightmares. Cause and effect.

If anybody thinks government PTSD programs actually "cure" PTSD even if it exists they are sadly mistaken. Government programs are mostly involved in compensation and disability pensions. Unfortunately there is no way to prove whether a disability claim involves PTSD except a series of tests and questions administered by bored government employees and PTSD disability has become a cottege industry among the more skilled actors among Vets.. The post is about private contributions to wounded Veterans and it's not right to force real Purple Heart wounded Veterans to share limited resources with Veterans who never had a scratch but claim to have nightmares and use PTSD as a defense in every felony from spousal abuse to domestic assault.

If anybody thinks government PTSD programs actually "cure" PTSD even if it exists they are sadly mistaken. Government programs are mostly involved in compensation and disability pensions. Unfortunately there is no way to prove whether a disability claim involves PTSD except a series of tests and questions administered by bored government employees and PTSD disability has become a cottege industry among the more skilled actors among Vets.. The post is about private contributions to wounded Veterans and it's not right to force real Purple Heart wounded Veterans to share limited resources with Veterans who never had a scratch but claim to have nightmares and use PTSD as a defense in every felony from spousal abuse to domestic assault.

More pretense that you give a shit one way or the other? Someone who had arms and/or legs blown off must obviously be faking real injury because he also has PTSD? You're a real sicko.

Forum List

Back