As a Veteran I would gladly contribute to the "Wounded Warriors" ..but

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I'm what you might call a "vintage Veteran". I grew up with WW2 Veterans and I served with Korean War Veterans. My Uncle served less than six months total during WW2 and came back with a grotesque twisted short leg and earned the nickname of Bumpy Gallagher. Today's Veterans in Iraq and Afghanistan survive with horrific injuries because of the advances in traumatic injury treatment and the skill of medical technicians that weren't around during WW2 or Korea and only in a limited way Vietnam war. The point is that Wounded Warriors supports Veterans who claim PTSD. I won't contribute to Wounded Warriors as long as they stretch their limited funds to support Veterans who suffer from substance abuse and claim to have nightmares. If the WW program limits funding to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart I would gladly contribute. I won't contribute to a program that funds the lifestyles of Veterans who imagine they were in combat.

Wounded is wounded. When you start nitpicking on who deserves help after being hurt in a war...well....not so good.

Meanwhile..thank you for your service, although it was so very long ago.

Should there be a limit on how old a warrior is before thanking them, too?

Your service is greatly appreciated, but I must respectfully disagree. Right now we have 23 Veteran Suicides a day and 1 Active Duty Soldier Suicide a day. These suicides are our men and women who served in OIF and OAF, and they suffered severe Post Traumatic Stress, often in addition to physical injuries. We need to treat the whole soldier, and if an organization like Wounded Warriors can do that, perhaps this is a good thing. The Veteran suicide rate is epidemic, and we need all the organizations we can to get involved helping our brave men and women as they transition back to civilian life.

94433.png

IMHO the charts and graphs @ Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project tell me this is a charity well-worth contributing to. The percentage of donations that actually gets to wounded warriors is many times higher than the ARC or other so-called charitable organizations.

Check it out for yourselves.

As for PTSD, one doesn't have to be a veteran to suffer it. And yes, there are some fakers and those with no backbone to stand up and try to deal with it.

I'm what you might call a "vintage Veteran". I grew up with WW2 Veterans and I served with Korean War Veterans. My Uncle served less than six months total during WW2 and came back with a grotesque twisted short leg and earned the nickname of Bumpy Gallagher. Today's Veterans in Iraq and Afghanistan survive with horrific injuries because of the advances in traumatic injury treatment and the skill of medical technicians that weren't around during WW2 or Korea and only in a limited way Vietnam war. The point is that Wounded Warriors supports Veterans who claim PTSD. I won't contribute to Wounded Warriors as long as they stretch their limited funds to support Veterans who suffer from substance abuse and claim to have nightmares. If the WW program limits funding to Veterans who were awarded a Purple Heart I would gladly contribute. I won't contribute to a program that funds the lifestyles of Veterans who imagine they were in combat.

You're a veteran? Prove it. I say you're an asshole who doesn't deserve the title.

You're a veteran? Prove it. I say you're an asshole who doesn't deserve the title.
Prove it? I didn't know it was a title. Why does the PTSD issue elicit such anger? All I am saying is that I would gladly contribute to the Wounded Warriors program if they could convince me that my contributions would not go to the rehabilitation of alcoholics and drug addicts who pretend to have nightmares.

I would have to say that the term Veteran is a title or at the very least a special status that is earned by serving your country in one of the 5 branches of the military and then retiring from said branch. No other person is awarded this title or special status except those that have served. It is my experience that the PTSD issue can illicit such anger because PTSD is very real and causes very real problems up to and including suicide, and thus should be taken seriously. It is also my opinion that soldiers do not "pretend to have nightmares" I am of the belief that the vast majority of veterans are honest and do not lie when they say they have flashbacks which are a far cry worse than an average nightmare. It saddens me when I hear a veteran such as yourself with such a low opinion of your fellow brothers and sisters.

9th ID is right. I did not read carefully enough. My apology. whitehall, grow up.

Last edited:
Veteran is anyone who has served honorably in one of the branches. Many retire, most do not, and some cannot because of injuries.

I think PTSD is an actual post-combat problem.

Prove it? I didn't know it was a title. Why does the PTSD issue elicit such anger? All I am saying is that I would gladly contribute to the Wounded Warriors program if they could convince me that my contributions would not go to the rehabilitation of alcoholics and drug addicts who pretend to have nightmares.

The one-and only-reason you don't know is because you don't pay attention. We have been around this bush before. Exactly where do you get off assuming you know more about PTSD than the government, VA, and the courts? The idea that people with PTSD are all drug and/or alcohol abusers who are "pretending" to have nightmares is highly derogatory disrespectful and stupid. Might just as well go around calling people who lost their legs "stumpy" and making fun of them if they tell you they can feel their feet. I was an Army medic. I helped treat soldiers (and later civilians) with PTSD. I served a tour in Vietnam where I became much more closely acquainted with PTSD. I served as what is now known as a combat medic and was awarded a CMB (Combat Medical Badge). I have service connected disabilities but no Purple Heart. Please feel free to french kiss my asshole!

The real injuries endured by real Veterans are sometimes horrific and they live with them and their families live with them. I think it is insulting to compare imagined mental illness to real Purple Heart horrific injuries. Go ahead and deal with PTSD in your own way but please don't steal the meager charity from Purple Heart brain injured Veterans and Vets with missing limbs.

The real injuries endured by real Veterans are sometimes horrific and they live with them and their families live with them. I think it is insulting to compare imagined mental illness to real Purple Heart horrific injuries. Go ahead and deal with PTSD in your own way but please don't steal the meager charity from Purple Heart brain injured Veterans and Vets with missing limbs.

And of course you are altogether too unthinking to realize that not everyone who lost legs or received brain injuries while in the military serving their Country also received purple hearts. You allow your (idiotic) preconceived notions outweigh the truth every time. Or maybe you just don't care and are just wanting seem to give a shit. You make me sick.

I would have to say that the term Veteran is a title or at the very least a special status that is earned by serving your country in one of the 5 branches of the military and then retiring from said branch. No other person is awarded this title or special status except those that have served. It is my experience that the PTSD issue can illicit such anger because PTSD is very real and causes very real problems up to and including suicide, and thus should be taken seriously. It is also my opinion that soldiers do not "pretend to have nightmares" I am of the belief that the vast majority of veterans are honest and do not lie when they say they have flashbacks which are a far cry worse than an average nightmare. It saddens me when I hear a veteran such as yourself with such a low opinion of your fellow brothers and sisters.

Wrong! A veteran is anyone who honorable serves or served that appropriate term of service in any one of the uniformed services. It makes no difference whether or not they were in combat.

And of course you are altogether too unthinking to realize that not everyone who lost legs or received brain injuries while in the military serving their Country also received purple hearts. You allow your (idiotic) preconceived notions outweigh the truth every time. Or maybe you just don't care and are just wanting seem to give a shit. You make me sick.
Combat, Doc. How ya hero medics gonna treat a rear echelon pogue who has nightmares because he picked up a heroin habit or he figures that he can get a 15% disability if he beats his wife and blames it on PTSD?

What do y'all lefties want to do? We have a legitimate charity that Veterans and the public gladly contribute to based mostly heart breaking ads showing brain damaged Veterans and Veterans missing limbs but the charity also includes Veterans allegedly suffering from PTSD. The government description of PTSD doesn't even restrict the mental disorder to combat Veterans. Any enterprising idiot who has served in the Military can fake nightmares and use PTSD in a defense of domestic abuse, drug addiction and assorted misdemeanors related to substance abuse without having to prove that he was ever in a freaking combat situation. I wish I could contribute to a legitimate charity related to Veteran benefits if they would refine their PTSD agenda.

What do y'all lefties want to do? We have a legitimate charity that Veterans and the public gladly contribute to based mostly heart breaking ads showing brain damaged Veterans and Veterans missing limbs but the charity also includes Veterans allegedly suffering from PTSD. The government description of PTSD doesn't even restrict the mental disorder to combat Veterans. Any enterprising idiot who has served in the Military can fake nightmares and use PTSD in a defense of domestic abuse, drug addiction and assorted misdemeanors related to substance abuse without having to prove that he was ever in a freaking combat situation. I wish I could contribute to a legitimate charity related to Veteran benefits if they would refine their PTSD agenda.
So that is what your bitch is really about? Liberals, how shallow and pedantic....

Combat, Doc. How ya hero medics gonna treat a rear echelon pogue who has nightmares because he picked up a heroin habit or he figures that he can get a 15% disability if he beats his wife and blames it on PTSD?

I would wish to see him sent to a prison ward where he can get physical and emotional care!

Forum List

Back