Artifact of my First New Car

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Going through some stuff today I found a spare ignition key from my 1973 Gremlin X. It was my first new car.

I liked most things about the car, but it was a terrible pig. Top speed was around 80mph, and it got less than 20mpg combined. Three speed stick, on the floor. There was a design flaw that caused the back of the car to accumulate dirt and dust constantly. There was an optional spoiler that took care of the problem but I was not aware when I bought it, so I had to deal with the car I just washed being dirty after any five minute ride. Alternatives at that time were a Chevy Vega or a Ford Pinto. I wanted a Vega with the optional engine and four-speed, but the way I wanted it, it would've cost quite a bit more than the Gremlin and money was tight.

1651506974787.png

I lost a quarter million out of my retirement account in April. No big deal. Time changes things.

That brought a smile. I learned to dry in my sister's Pinto. Who knew those would be the BEST days?

I had it for three years and had no mechanical problems. It was just starting to rust when I got rid of it, but most cars of that day were doing the same thing.

I had a '79 Pontiac Sunbird, which was based on the Vega. It had the V-6 with a three speed automatic transmission. Pretty solid car until I tried running through a telephone pole one night on the way home from a party.

Good times!

Forum List

Back