Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Double nine Patch quilts are done in many ways. Here's a simple one that is quite nice, imho:

picture1.jpg

Others darken the 5 spots and lighten the 4 spots, so it appears reversed:

8493eedbb0bc9a032ed5fad516d04f81.jpg

Oops! Tree quilt alert! Tree quilt alert (I just have to post this one!) :)

border2c.JPG

Too Cute!!!

Last edited:
Good night all. Thanks to all who visit and/or drop by to see quilts made by people the world over, a lot of them right here in the USA. :)

May beauty surround you
May God stay and found you
May peace walk before you
May children adore you
May all kindness warm you
May no evil harm you
May angels entwine you
Your troubles refine you
May good health be given you
May justice live in you
So Satan shall fear you
When you keep God near you.

Love,
becki

I went to a local quilt show today. A couple of them were made in the early 1900's. Still in lik-nu condition. Very cool. :thup:

Will post pictures pending tomorrow's hangover. :beer:

Oh, [MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION], I'm so looking forward to view your pics. :)

Years ago, my mother made these little crocheted bags with turtle heads, feet, and tails crocheted on them.
I was thinking that I would make one for my husband of my own design (which took 3 days :evil: ) to prepare making soap chip turtles for the Quilter's Charity Bees' bazaars.
Since people really don't know what they are, I thought a good little "poem" attached to each one would tell the story so people would know what they're for. I found a Turtle soap chip pattern somewhere on line, but mine is far and away unlike it. Even so, I may have to resort to doing the smaller ones that don't have much to them due to the time they can take. :badgrin:

Here's the effort:
Why hello friend, my name is Chip
Just so you know, I can be hip.
If you waste soap when it gets small
Just hang me in your shower stall.
By my long tail (also a rope);
Place in my pouch, all chips of soap
My shell and belly, made to scrub
Assist in washing in the tub.
I'll also try and find the picture I was going to put here last night before I finished the turtle about an hour ago:
Oh, I found several:
This one is most like my mother's cotton crocheted items, so coveted by us:
Maggie_Weldon_Crochet_Pattern_Turtle_Soap_500.jpg
Someone did away with the turtle and just makes soap saver bags, crocheted in cotton, of course. :)
032913_51-1024x768.jpg
More:
img_3012.jpg
vam54a.jpg
potholderTurtle_3286.jpg
il_570xN.235527245.jpg
Picture1329.jpg

Last edited:
I went to a local quilt show today. A couple of them were made in the early 1900's. Still in lik-nu condition. Very cool. :thup:

Will post pictures pending tomorrow's hangover. :beer:

Oh, [MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION], I'm so looking forward to view your pics. :)

Here yaz goes, ms. b....

Attachments

• $photo (4).JPG
    $photo (4).JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 65
  • $photo (5).JPG
    $photo (5).JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 65
  • $photo (6).JPG
    $photo (6).JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 69
Well, those attachments aren't displaying correctly. Hmm...
If you've named the attachment, scrolling over it will reveal the name.

Your attachments are fine. When you click on them, they pop up in a new window the original size you posted. :)

And the three are fabulous, soft and pretty. I love 'em!

I'm sorry I got bored and dumped all my reps at the rep frog, although, it was a little fun. :badgrin:

Last edited:
There were two really old ones (1900's ish). Not sure if they're pictured.

I have to admit, I spent most my time there viewing an adjoining exhibit about the history of the local Marathon Oil tank farm. :)
My quilt shop is located in a Wyoming community that had a Marathon Oil Tank Farm...
The center quilt (above) by Ellen May ??itheimer is dated 1955. Very nice. So is the broderie perse, not to mention the eight-pointed star quilt. ;)

Years ago, my mother made these little crocheted bags with turtle heads, feet, and tails crocheted on them.
I was thinking that I would make one for my husband of my own design (which took 3 days :evil: ) to prepare making soap chip turtles for the Quilter's Charity Bees' bazaars.
Since people really don't know what they are, I thought a good little "poem" attached to each one would tell the story so people would know what they're for. I found a Turtle soap chip pattern somewhere on line, but mine is far and away unlike it. Even so, I may have to resort to doing the smaller ones that don't have much to them due to the time they can take. :badgrin:

Here's the effort:
Why hello friend, my name is Chip
Just so you know, I can be hip.
If you waste soap when it gets small
Just hang me in your shower stall.
By my long tail (also a rope);
Place in my pouch, all chips of soap
My shell and belly, made to scrub
Assist in washing in the tub.
I'll also try and find the picture I was going to put here last night before I finished the turtle about an hour ago:
Oh, I found several:
This one is most like my mother's cotton crocheted items, so coveted by us:
Maggie_Weldon_Crochet_Pattern_Turtle_Soap_500.jpg
Someone did away with the turtle and just makes soap saver bags, crocheted in cotton, of course. :)
032913_51-1024x768.jpg
More:
vam54a.jpg
potholderTurtle_3286.jpg
il_570xN.235527245.jpg
Picture1329.jpg

Today, I cut strips till my feet started cramping. My afternoon nap was 4 hours long. At least I got out of the foot cramps, and I dreamed a dream of God's messenger saying that to stay joyful in trying times is a good direction. I have to say it was a refreshing nap, no more foot cramps, too. :)

I guess it would be nice to sew some of the strips now, but I have a lot of pms to read before hitting the sewing room. :)

Today, I finished one of the shoo fly blocks that will finish to 6.75" and a double 9-patch block that also finishes to 6.75" although both of them currently measure 7.25" half an inch of which will be sewn to the inside all 4 ways, which takes half an inch off the vertical measurement, and half an inch off the horizontal measurement using a quarter inch seam allowance, which is standard in the quilter's realm. Cutting and pinning failures result in mismatched blocks, so to avoid it, you just cut correctly as well as pin with the joined areas matching. You can also choose a pattern that has no matching areas, but still, a modicum of accuracy is according to the care that is taken measuring the rows that are sewn together as being exactly the same as the row above. Pinning so that it comes out right is still beneficial and reduces garish errors.

Oh, it's so late, I forgot why I came here. Today was a day to shop for quarter yard pieces, so this time, we didn't turn around going to Bryan. Not only was there no cloud in the sky, it was miraculously cool. Someone said yesterday's storm came down from the north, so we benefitted with the touch of arctic air it brought. It's a little gift of God I appreciate, considering we are currently without a working air conditioner, and we're headed into the hottest months. I have very powerful fans purchased a couple of years back when they were more affordable, and their equals now are well out of my retirement stipend.

The new fabrics were refolded by me on the way home, but the ones I bought at a fabric discount store were so mottled and crunched, I will have to rinse and press them while damp to get all the problems out before cutting them. Fabrics are said to have a good hand when they handle well under duress and still look elegant when treated well. The best place in the world seems to be the quilt shop right in the closest town. She cares about her fabrics and you never have to do a lot of ironing because she cuts fabric right, shelves them without cramping them, changes the fabrics frequently, and keeps a very good array of new fabrics for such a small shop. She's a wizard, kind, and good. Some people you just love for their excellence and attention to doing a good job and making sure people are treated well as she can.

If I were really, really rich, she'd never have a money worry, because I'd buy a machine every year and never buy less than 3 yards of every fabric I love from her shop.

Oh, my it's almost tomorrow here in central standard time zone! Good night & may God bless America and keep the world safe. I especially am saddened by people dumping their children in our border statements out of fear, poverty, hatred, and lies they've been told. I don't know how anyone could dump a child off like a throwaway cup. They're little humans. Help us, O Lord, we pray.

It's the day to cut and sew. So, I'm outta here!

Have a great day all. One of these days, I'll try to see what I can do about getting a new printer hitched up to this rig. In the meantime, my work needs to be cut out for me. :badgrin:

Have a beautiful day, everybody!

Shoo fly and ninepatch away!

This easier version is somehow appealing...

il_570xN.179635277.jpg

Wow. Too many dark blues and not enough light blues. No light grays to speak of! So... off to the quilt store and home with a couple of dozen light blue and light gray prints. Sewed 1.25 x 12.5" strips morning, noon, and afternoon. Called the doctor to make an appointment for some wee little health problems. They will call me back tomorrow, because by the time I took a break from sewing itsy bitsy strips, it was after 5. Where'd the day go anyway? Oh, yes. And driving Mr. Daisy to breakfast. Driving Mr. Daisy's car to gas station and back home; to quilt store and back home, only to come home to Mr. Daisy didn't shave, shower, comb or brush again. Two hours later, driving Mr. Daisy to lunch where I killed my appetite by drinking a quart of milk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All that sewing and nothing got finished, not a single 9-patch from which the strips are made following ambitious cross cutting at 1.25" intervals.

The 9 little squares will measure a total of 2.25" because they finish at 3/4 of an inch apiece. Tomorrow is another day. I hope the doctor figures out what's wrong. I often prediagnose wrong, so this time, I'm letting her figure it out which will preclude tests that are unnecessary to rule out a faulty "what's wrong according to what I think" statement I've made. I'm just tired of my symptoms, and it's hot all the time since the air conditioner went on vacation. :rolleyes:

Shoofly miniature quilt--this one was appealing, because I had already tried to visualize a shoofly with a smaller square at center (TOP VIEW) than traditional shoofly (2nd picture, below)

40ffd489f7e83e53ef709cff76bef434.jpg

The tradictional schema is below, also a miniature, I think. Different photographers use different sizes of pictures, when I prefer seeing similar sizes. That's out since my copier can't transfer here any more since my son fixed my computer. :badgrin:

31408ad21b23960034b1835475867df0.jpg

Last edited:
Hm, somehow the pictures are now the same. *sigh*

Well, it's all good I guess, but they sure looked different when I was transferring from Bing to here.

And I found a miniature nine-patch, but there are white squares on this one, where as in the white areas, mine will have shoo-fly block in it.

17b210e69f6429c13a2df6a6ff8637a5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back