Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Hope the moving goes well, Koshergrl. I hit the wall on the fish quilt. So, I'm soothing my little ruffled feathers by doing another quilt as I realized I needed a break from itsy bitsy squares. :)

It's Brick-a-Brac time! :)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So it looks like a brick quilt, except it's actually on an angle such that the bricks are true parallelograms.

Can't wait till it's done!

So far, it has 5 rows of 2.5x5.5" parallelorams. I'm loving it!

:woohoo:
Well, there is a time when a quilt is just too much. I was going to do 18 rows, but had so many parallelograms left over I did 19 rows with enough left over to make a pillow top. Having 4 strips left to do around the outside for a border, it already measures 40x59 inches. How I got such a dizzy number out of 19 3" rows, I must have taken mighty small seams, truly scant quarter inches (preferred by many quilters).

So now, it's pick-an-outside-border red fabric that is perfectly fabulous (or not) and call it finished. Whew! I must've made 55 mistakes today that kept me in practice with ripping out machine stitches throughout my time before the mast, I mean, machine. <giggle>

Never quite had such a dreadful run of silly mistakes. Except for the first time I had to do a blouse one semester in home economics in high school. One very lo-o-o-o-ong semester!

Yes and that's the thing..rag rugs, if they're being used, are going to end up looking like what they are...rag rugs, lol. All of them fade with time...

I haven't worked on it since last week because all my spare time is used either packing, cleaning or moving stuff from one house to the other. I'm looking forward to completing the move, completing the rug, and starting on the next one!

I will have enough of the teal to put a border on, so that's a good thing!
Your post inspired me to look at my sister's best friend's rug that I am crochet (with cotton crochet yarn, worsted weight, not sure how many ply are in cotton sugar and cream yarns since they're not as twisted as woolen or acrylic, which are 4-ply). Well, I found the rug, was about to close the umpteenth row but hadn't, so I just looked at it, set it down and said "red parallelogram quilt top first!"
Now, I'm looking forward to completing the fish quilt again. I'm going to add some sea weeds and a border. It's going to be absolutely simple simon, though. I'd rather not get too deep into postage stamps or will get lost in the post office. :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, that was a long day of making the same mistakes over and over and over today. It reminds me of running hurdles in high school. It sure cuts down your speed of completing the race. :eusa_whistle:

We spent the second night in the new house, with the dogs...I replaced my old, horrible mattresses with new ones..got them home, and I seriously have never had such a hard bed hahaha. I was like what the heck! It didn't seem this hard when I tried it out! Oh well, I'll get used to it, and its still so much better than the old one. The dogs are loving it here. Complete mess/chaos.

The dogs love the place because you are there, koshergrl. May laughter, good health, and good times be your constant companions in the new place, along with kids who choose to do right and canine health and longevity. :smiliehug:

The red terrorist quilt, I mean, the angled brick quilt done in reds is completed, and its measurement is in the area of 42x64 inches. Hopefully, the Charity Bees will quilt and distribute it to the best of their causes. :) I still cannot find one anywhere close to it.

I did find a few interesting quilt arrangements, hope they show up:

th

^^The plan appears to use a row of half-sized bricks alternated with full-sized bricks; followed by a row with full-sized bricks alternated with halves.^^

This quilt is diagonal, all right, and technically 90-degree bricks are "parallelograms," but not the 60-degree angles with corresponding angled mortar, as well. Besides, I love the color separations: <huff puff, huff puff>

molli_sparkles_broken_herringbone_V2_01.jpg

This squarish parallelogram work is nothing like my 2.5x5.5" finished parallelograms in red with apricot-colored mortar. In fact, there is no mortar but it's all I could find with slanted sides, but it doesn't have a brick feeling. All I know is that the quilt maker of the parallelogram quilt below likely put a lot of work into figuring out how to make her quilt come out okay. Those angles are terroristic, to put it mildly. She did good.:

7100515595_fded4b52cc_m.jpg

A company named accuquilt that I have all sizes of their squares and cutting equipment that is used with a rotary cutter also deals in dies, and this is the product of one of theirs:

The difference is no 1" strips were cut to show half-inch mortar separations in the rows and between the parallelograms which are smaller than the ones I cut.

50787_1.jpg

I've been looking hard for a quilt like mine, I just can't find one. Sorry. It was a lot of work, and I worked my heart out to get it right and pleasing to look at. My son says he will help me with fixing the printer from afar. :(

Oh, and I can't afford the $80 price of the die for the cutting necessary to make the accuquilt, plus you have to buy the cutting machine which runs into the hundreds of dollars. That's why I use a rotary cutter. It's a lot more economical.

If you can afford the setup, here's what the Go! die from Accuquilt looks like:

Accuquilt%20art%2055004.jpg

It's truly amazing how these dies work.

Last edited:
Someone did use parallelograms and "mortar" to do a herringbone (not a brick) quilt, but her bricks are huge, and her mortar is larger as well (sometimes it's fun to change mortar size, I've done it myself on a brick quilt in the past 12 months, not a parallelogram, of course, since the reds in pale red-orange mortar is my first effort. Here's he parallelogram:

I'd call that quilt adventurous! I love it. :)

Credits: Piece Garden: habitat quilt top

One more for the road. I sure hate being out of rep for 24. :(

This one made a plan first. I love it: Credits

Diagram-4.jpg

Then she followed through with a really lovely effort in her parallelogram chevron that she called "Daisy Chain" quilt:

Last edited:
Have been playing with postage stamps again. Can't wait to make it into a quilt:

mmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmmmm
mmmmmmmmm

Today I'm unpacking stuff...I put my daughter's rug on the floor but I'm going to pull it up and finish it shortly. The pups, especially Mylo, are a little intimidated by the non-carpeted floors. Mylo doesn't like to jump from it, so she has to be helped up on the couch and bed hehe. Snoop manages...he can just step up on the couch, but this morning, he's on the girl's bed for the first time in the week we've been here.

Today I'm unpacking stuff...I put my daughter's rug on the floor but I'm going to pull it up and finish it shortly. The pups, especially Mylo, are a little intimidated by the non-carpeted floors. Mylo doesn't like to jump from it, so she has to be helped up on the couch and bed hehe. Snoop manages...he can just step up on the couch, but this morning, he's on the girl's bed for the first time in the week we've been here.

This quilt is called "Moving Day" by Bonnie Brewer and was found on a Contemporary quilt arts association blog: Credits

Brewer_MovingDay_475.gif

Her perspective was this:

The furniture is gone, the pictures are off the walls. Even the paint has been retouched and the place is spotless for the next occupants. Yet the rooms seem to be haunted by the ghost of the last family's comfortable furnishings. The house will be lonely until it is filled again with the clamor and bustle of a new family and their precious belongings.

May your new home be filled with love, beauty, good times, friends, children, and an indefatigably spirited future. :smiliehug:

Today's progress was making one square, 6.75 + .5 inches (7.25") unfinished shoo-fly square and one 3" 9-patch red and teadye beige mini square. They do not fit together very well, but at least I did SOMETHING!!! to break the ice on the next quilt. The fish is still swimming in water with no edges... :lol: :lol: :lol: and may be for some time to forever. Some good ideas go by the wayside. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, though I had a good idea. It's a future bite-the-bullet quilt, but now, I'm just goofing off with other ideas Of quilts I haven't tried in a long, long time. I was in the local quilt store the other day, and a lady reminded me she liked all those log cabin quilts I made. hmmm. Nope. I'm gonna do anything else for a bit longer. ;)

th
Shoo Fly Quilt . . .
th

And here's a double nine patch mixed with a block that's almost shoo fly:

05f35cf5c504bf4cbfaaf670a27e4fac.jpg

The tiny size of the 9-patches ^^ is likely smaller than my 3" 9-patch block described above.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back