Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

This one is just too cute, imho:

a387c98744304d2ceb08e98de39a0ea9.jpg

So this is the crazy little "Shoo-fly" and "9-patches" quilt top I have slaved over for a couple of weeks while getting over an infection. I'm happy about my son calling up and saying "I'm ready to work on your computer" from half way across the United States and "ya got a minute or two, mom?" :)

Attachments

• $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0001.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0001.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 87
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0002.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0002.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 96
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0003.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 88
And another group! Of Shoo-Fly and nine patches. Here are some ready to be sewn into double nine-patches, and even one from a square completed about a week or so ago:

Attachments

• $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0006.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0006.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 103
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0005.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0005.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 89
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0004.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 93
Each of the parts will have 2 double nine patch squares and 2 shoo-fly squares. Since each measures around 8 inches in their not-finished state, when sewn together with other squares with a 1/4" seam allowance, the finished grouping will measure 15.5"

Wow! It's been such a long time since I scanned and shared anything due to loading difficulties, I made a lot of mistakes on the first two sends. Also, the format is somewhat unfamiliar, but my son did his best, and it was kind of nice to figure out how the new versions work. I really was fond of the old one, though, what can I plead but stick in the mud? :lol:

Hope everyone has a nice evening. I was going to rep frog tonight, because I'm so far behind, but it never occurred that this process would eat up my evening hour here.

Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Attachments

• $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0007.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0007.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 88
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0008.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0008.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 99
  • $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0009.jpg
    $Shoo-Fly Nine Patch1._0009.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 89
Last time we moved we had 300 boxes. I swear half of them had fabrics I brought to make charity quilts with when I retired. I try to stay busy.

I hope your new home works well and brings you much happiness, koshergrl. :)

Today, I just sewed strips and a dozen or so two and a quarter inch 9-patch squares, each square measuring a tiny 3/4 of an inch.

I'm feeling so much better than I have in months. I'm on antibiotic therapy this week, and am feeling a lot like a new person. This has been going on since before my terrible fall in March, but every time I saw my doctor, I forgot about the infection with everything else that was going on. I'm glad she ran tests.

To everyone who comes, thanks, join in, tell us a story about a family or friend's quilt, show pictures if you have them. Quilt and craft talk are always appreciated!

:smiliehug:
becki

Here's the eagle that appears in the Second edition of my book, "Aesthetics of Southwest Album Applique Quilt" copyrighted by me in or around 1993, the year the subject quilt of the book won Best of Show in the Wyoming State Fair. I'm not sure the second picture will be very clear, it's been transferred here and there so many times, but it's a small version of the quilt.

Attachments

• $user29697_pic4505_1338149148.jpg
    $user29697_pic4505_1338149148.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 154
  • $Aesthetics of Southwest Album Applique Quilt.jpg
    $Aesthetics of Southwest Album Applique Quilt.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 131
I haven't been doing anything lately. We still have boxes all over but we're slowly getting through them.
Good luck with that!

I haven't been doing anything lately, either, except trying to learn to pay bills and keep up the laundry. Dementia has been cruel to my dear man, who spoiled me rotten for 40 years. Now, I'm aware of his goodness, and I know, I can't touch him in that department, which tends to make me love him more and pining at the same time. Go figure. *sigh*

I did manage to check into getting the air conditioning system in the house replaced. The expense seems phenomenal to me.

It's like buying a new car. I almost fainted on reading the estimate.

Well, the 9-patch and shoo-fly quilt is almost done. It's 5 rows down and two to go, I'm just having trouble getting to the sewing machine with my dear husband's disabilities going downhill like a cannonball lately, plus I'm so not mechanically gifted where computers are concerned. My daughter nailed my mechanical problems by glibly noticing how my general problem-solving trait of making the same mistake again and again is not helpful. Ouch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping @koshergrl has conquered the moving demon and will be posting pictures of her current embroideries and crafts soon. I think I heard she might be making gifts, and I sure hope she takes pictures before they're shipped off to her lucky friend/family member. :)

All are welcome to add sage advice, pictures, and beloved needlecrafts and assorted observations. Yes, I know I repeat errors, but it is because I'm a little absent-minded when engaging in tasks that require repetitive factory motions.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And as Tiny Tim once noted, God bless us everyone.

Love in a mist... (It's a quilt square, of course).

328b7bac2aef8de3505ee9fbc66b7a00.jpg
9k=

Last edited:
my puter is broken so i can't post pics and i'm stuck using the boy's 3ds handheld device...loving the new place, working sl9wly on my homely stuff...have to make some monkeys...two baby showers and a birthday coming up. started rug two...need more material but have to wait till payday. it's a green oval looks better than the first rug so far. my daughter wants it. the first rug will reside elsewhere...now it:s in the l8vingroom. snoop loves it. hang in there beckixoxoxo

I love quilts. I'm going to attempt to make an appliqué Halloween decoration for my living room. I'm hoping to be able to make it two sided, one for Halloween and the flip side Thanks giving. It was supposed to be a mantle cover but I don't have a mantle so I decided to make it a wall hanging for my closet door. The appliqué blocks will be removable so I can add over the years new designs. Think a long runner on a door with pot holder size blocks of ghosts,pumpkins,black cats etc. hung on it. It's simple but I'm starting small. I'm also working on a strip quit for my living room.

I'm hoping @koshergrl has conquered the moving demon and will be posting pictures of her current embroideries and crafts soon. I think I heard she might be making gifts, and I sure hope she takes pictures before they're shipped off to her lucky friend/family member. :)

All are welcome to add sage advice, pictures, and beloved needlecrafts and assorted observations. Yes, I know I repeat errors, but it is because I'm a little absent-minded when engaging in tasks that require repetitive factory motions.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And as Tiny Tim once noted, God bless us everyone.

Love in a mist... (It's a quilt square, of course).

328b7bac2aef8de3505ee9fbc66b7a00.jpg
9k=
Ok Becki, I have gotten unpacked (mostly). I have started another crocheted rag rug, this one oval...and I am ready to get the sewing machines out and start on some quilts now. I have a dining room/kitchen set up that will allow me to take over the kitchen table, but still have a breakfast counter for the kids to eat at. School starts Sept. 2 and it won't matter if I have my sewing stuff all over the dining room because the kids will be gone all day and into the night.

I have quite a bit of material..some really really nice stuff that I picked up years ago, meaning to make a complicated and beautiful blue/white Blue Willow quilt...I have decided just to do some strip quilting and get the kids involved, then make either simple 9 square blocks and/or simple windmills, and churn out as many as my stash and my perseverence will allow. I have my sewing machine, and another, smaller, portable type one that mom got me last year, that I have never used, that I can set up for the kids to use (or whomever). I'm going to cut the strips and then just start sewing. I'm not going to mess with borders, it's going to be very much just make a quilt top and then slap batting and backing on and call it good. I could make probably 10 like that before I got to the end of my list of people who would love to have one. I'm going to make it fast and imperfect and get them done.

Becki, becki, becki.....you are missed.

2007-04-13-quilts-194.jpg

Seems a lot of fine posters are AWOL......

...could it be the new system?

I find it far less homey, less poster-friendly.....one used to be able to exchange and chat more easily with both friends and ...others.
It is far less stimulating, PC. Many posters who were only here for reps and negs, have departed, too.

But new ones are joining and some are sticking around. :thup:

However, our freedombecki has been MIA long before the software change.

Last edited:
Becki, becki, becki.....you are missed.

2007-04-13-quilts-194.jpg

Seems a lot of fine posters are AWOL......

...could it be the new system?

I find it far less homey, less poster-friendly.....one used to be able to exchange and chat more easily with both friends and ...others.
It is far less stimulating, PC. Many posters who were only here for reps and negs, have departed, too.

But new ones are joining and some are sticking around. :thup:

However, our freedombecki has been MIA long before the software change.

If anyone has heard from becki, please let the board know? It's been a long time and it isn't like her not to inform anyone of a change in her circumstances.

Keep up the great work, PC. :thup:

Yeah, it's not just the software. This place has been dying for a long time, and the admin has effectively chased off the posters who have generated the most traffic. They hung in there for a long time but after a while, when the quality of the posting deteriorates and the people who are the ones who generate the real discussion have all left..well what's the point?

Forum List

Back