ARRGGHHHH!! It's snowin' like a mo-fo here.

I reiterate. Go slow, stay off the packed snow in the soft stuff because you get better traction. If the tires start to slip, don't gun it, take your foot off the gas and slowly accelerate again once they've stopped slipping. Don't use Cruise Control. Know that your stopping distance increased by a factor of 5, and if the pavement looks wet and the reflections are "sharp edged" you're on black ice, coast to a safe speed of under 10 mph and turn very slowly if you have to.

Damn crap better not stick tonight. I will find a way home in the morning.

Driving north from Florida's Atlantic coast today we decided head westerly up through Alabama Instead of Georgia. Usually we overnight in Cartersville then go through the mountains between Chattanooga and Monteagle dropping back down into Nashville then north through Ky into Indiana.

We saw sleet and blowing snow between Montgomery and Birmingham at dusk today, and tomorrow early we will head N.E. on up through Nashville, where we have some worries about road conditions. At least we avoided going through the higher elevations of Tn.

Anyone have info on road conditions from Nashville and up I-65?

Last edited:
its snowing in the ATL now?

Well, it was about 30 minutes ago. Started about 3pm. Don't know if it still is. I'm stuck in a windowless studio at the moment.

Try these guys for a weather report! AM750 and NOW 95.5FM News/Talk WSB on wsbradio.com

I was too busy to check the weather, we were airing special programming and taking multiple calls at a time. Just went outside though, parking deck is starting to ice over.

I reiterate. Go slow, stay off the packed snow in the soft stuff because you get better traction. If the tires start to slip, don't gun it, take your foot off the gas and slowly accelerate again once they've stopped slipping. Don't use Cruise Control. Know that your stopping distance increased by a factor of 5, and if the pavement looks wet and the reflections are "sharp edged" you're on black ice, coast to a safe speed of under 10 mph and turn very slowly if you have to.

It's not me that I'm worried about. It's everyone else driving. I actually know what to look for and how to drive.

The idiot yapping on cell phone next to me though....

Radio, about 3 weeks ago, I'm driving on 35W, and a woman destroyed her nice shiny sedan by crossing 3 lanes of traffic sideways then backwards then slamming into the guard rail bouncing off, picking off another car and putting herself directly in my path, which I stopped 3 feet from hitting her. I thought Michael Bay was directing traffic.

I'm sure she dropped her cell when she first lost control because she drifted out of her lane into the opposite side rumble strips and then over-corrected in panic.

You are wise to fear it, but use the Smith System.

1. Get the Big Picture
2. Make sure they see you
3. Leave yourself an out
4. Aim High (know what's down the road)
5. Keep your eyes moving.

Do those and you should be fine.

Radio, about 3 weeks ago, I'm driving on 35W, and a woman destroyed her nice shiny sedan by crossing 3 lanes of traffic sideways then backwards then slamming into the guard rail bouncing off, picking off another car and putting herself directly in my path, which I stopped 3 feet from hitting her. I thought Michael Bay was directing traffic.

I'm sure she dropped her cell when she first lost control because she drifted out of her lane into the opposite side rumble strips and then over-corrected in panic.

1. Get the Big Picture
3. Leave yourself an out

6. Drive an old pick-up truck that's built like a tank with 200lb's+ of sand over the rear axle.

Phoenix, I had to be certified in the Smith System every year I drove School Bus. Now I'm driving city bus, and I better up the skills, darn it. So I figured it'd be nice to share the professional tips. ;)

1. Get the Big Picture
3. Leave yourself an out

6. Drive an old pick-up truck that's built like a tank with 200lb's+ of sand over the rear axle.
well, whomever hits you or you hit is fooked. Better still, make it a Chevy Suburban, or Yukon ;)

1. Get the Big Picture
3. Leave yourself an out

well, whomever hits you or you hit is fooked. Better still, make it a Chevy Suburban, or Yukon ;)
or a military humvee
LOL

Phoenix, I had to be certified in the Smith System every year I drove School Bus. Now I'm driving city bus, and I better up the skills, darn it. So I figured it'd be nice to share the professional tips. ;)

It seemed like we were getting the scoop from a pro. Smart tips.

Gonna take the dogs out topless in the jeep tomorrow. They love riding in the sunshine!

Ain't life grand?

1. Get the Big Picture
3. Leave yourself an out

Firefighter saying: "When cars kiss, he who has the most lug-nuts usually wins."

It seemed like we were getting the scoop from a pro. Smart tips.

Gonna take the dogs out topless in the jeep tomorrow. They love riding in the sunshine!

Ain't life grand?
Aim high.

Firefighter saying: "When cars kiss, he who has the most lug-nuts usually wins."
Knew the guy who designed the bumper for fire engines built by Pierce Industries. First week in use in NYC, it cut a toyota in half killing all 4 inside. The firetruck was unharmed and made it to the fire.

Forum List

Back