Arming Libyan Rebels?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by McDowell's, Mar 30, 2011.

1. McDowell's

McDowell's BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    This reminds me of something. Can't remember exactly what it was called. Had something to do with Afghanistan back in the day. But now the UN is peripherally involved so it's gravy.

Also reminds me of something Bush Jr. once said: "Fool me once, shame on...shame on you...Fool me...twice............foolmecan'tgetfooledagain!" :eusa_drool:

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Time will tell how this plays out

I won't be surprised if it bites us in the ass someday

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    It does seem like history is repeating itself. The Taliban used to be the good guys fighting against the evil Soviet empire.

Gadoofy and company can get "taken care of" easily. What's not so easy is knowing who exactly these rebels are and what they will turn out to be. They seem to be amorphous, perhaps different groups with different sub-goals that are at the moment united under an umbrella goal: overthrowing Gadoofus.

But once that goal is accomplished, what then? Do they then turn on each other, in which case the most uncompromising and barbaric sect wins out? I think those are valid concerns.

4. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    There is a difference, after the Soviets left Afghanistan we completely abandoned the people. Afghanistan is dirt poor and has nothing to offer, Libya has oil so nobody is going to abandon it, Libya will get alot more attention than Afghanistan did after the war is over.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330

That's a good point. Afghanistan was just a tool for our larger conflict with the Soviets. I'm not so much thinking Libya will collapse into an Islamofascist theocracy the way Afghanistan did. However I won't be surprised if conflict continues after Gadoofy's regime is gone.

So this begs the question of how long does the West continue this kind of soft military involvement with the country? If it turns out the rebels start some incestuous infighting, do we pick sides again and continue tossing Tomahawks inland?

6. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,707
    Yep. Your right. Everyone will be vying to help Libya. Of course it will be with an eye to its Oil richs. They sell about 70% of their oil in europe. No wonder Sarkozy was gung ho to save the day.

My questinn is much like Sheldons.

Who are these rebels? What will they do if Quadaffi is overthrone or killed or in exile?? Who supports them?? Who leads them??

Will Quadaffi be gone only to be replaced by someone worse?? Will they be our friend today and our enemy tomorrow??

Questions, questions, questions with no real answers.

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    Let Scotland arm them.

8. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I don't know how big of a commitment this administration will give to Libya, right now Libya dominates out breaking news and highlight stories. There are also many countries involved in this, France, the UK, the Saudis etc etc. Libya won't be left on its own to rot because it has oil thus it has value, if I'm not mistaken the Euros get alot of their oil from there plus the Euros can't afford a large refugee exodus from that country in the event of a civil war, Libya is not that far from Italy, refugees will be coming over by the shitload in boats if things get bad enough. Basically Libya will get the help it need if and when Ghaddafi leaves, Afghanistan was left to the mercy of the Talibs and Al Qaeda idiots because there was nothing in Afghanistan of any interest, so we basically ignored them after the Military campaign against the Russians was over.

9. Bass v 2.0

Bass v 2.0 Biblical Warrior For God.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +528
    This is all neocolonialism, the former colonial powers and their new ally, the US military via NATO, simply can't keep themselves away from Africa's riches, or should I say control of Africa's resources, its what made them powerful in the 20th century anyways.

10. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Well I only see them in this for the oil, they could give a fuck less about countries in Sub Saharan Africa like Zimbabwe, Ivory Coast, Liberia etc etc

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1