Armed robbery

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, May 22, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    This is what the war on drugs has led to, armed thugs taking money from from people traveling the highways.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeH9D_tN-k]YouTube - ‪Tennesee Law Enforcement Stealing Money from out of state innocent motorist‬‏[/ame]

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    From the video, it appears that the owners of the cash have legal recourse to get their money back.
    Plus- if the money is even suspected to have been obtained illegally, then you'd think the law would require it be kept in tact as evidence.

3. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    It's better to take the money than the drugs.Take the money and use it to take more money, and use that to take more money.At worst you either drive up the drug costs, reduce the profit incentive for the dealers or both.The best part is the drug dealers fund their own undoing, law enforcement judo, if you will...it's genius.Every state should be doing this.

4. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Try it sometime. Since the police are not accusing you of a crime, they are accusing your property, it is actually guilty until proven innocent. That means that you have to do to court and prove that your money did not come from drug dealing. If you think that is easy I need to get rid of a bridge I no longer use.

5. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I wonder if you would feel the same after the police take away your house and sell it to fund their acquisition of a couple of new squad cars and a helicopter.

6. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Sorry man, I go out of my way not to transport ziplock baggies containing 200 grand in cash in the back of a loaded semi.

7. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    If someone tells the police they bought marijuana from you that is all the probable cause they need to get a search warrant. If they then find one seed you stepped in and tracked into your house they can reasonable suspect that you are a drug dealer and seize your house, your car, your bank accounts, and everything else you own. You then have the recourse of of hiring a lawyer with your non existent assets and file a suit to prove that not only are you not a drug dealer, but that everything you own came from traceable sources of income that had nothing to do with drugs.

If someone ever pissed me off to the point that I wanted to ruin them I would rat them out as drug dealers and let the police take everything from them.

8. Smash_Hits

Smash_Hits STEELY DAN !

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
  9. TheBrain

TheBrain BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    First of all, I agree with you about civil forfeiture laws. I don't like them. BUT you are not entirely correct QW in a civil forfeiture case, you do NOT have to prove your property was not involved in a crime, the state still has to prove their case, it's just a different, and much easier to obtain, standard. No different than if you sue someone for committing a crime for you the burden of proof that they are guilty is much lower than in a criminal case.

Second of all, a man has to ask himself what a person is hauling $200K around in a semi trailer for... IS that itself enough to rise to the presumption of guilt of either drug trafficking or something more nefarious? I would suggest that statistics could EASILY be read that way.

10. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Those cops are more like pirates than law enforcement officers.

Immie