Sup. Court decision = over 30K prisoner release to improve health care

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
California has not been spending any money on prison capacity for decades ( we pay our guards the second highest wage in the US though) ……. the average age of their prison system etc. is 50 years...

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/FPCM/docs/MasterPlan2009_pages_1-249.pdf...

I have to agree with the majority decision, this should not be a partisan view imho, its not the inmates fault that California has dropped kicked this. I live here, I don't want them out but , this has been going on for 20 years...again, ala immigration etc. the Politicos punted till it became impossible to avoid.

( and we know part of the reason, in our legislature it became political poison, there by unfeasible to fund bills to build prisons to incarcerate more minorities)

In any event, either they pay more to rent space elsewhere or…..

High court backs cuts in Calif. prison population

The Supreme Court on Monday narrowly endorsed reducing California's cramped prison population by more than 30,000 inmates to fix sometimes deadly problems in medical care, ruling that federal judges retain enormous power to oversee troubled state prisons.

The court said in a 5-4 decision that the reduction is "required by the Constitution" to correct longstanding violations of inmates' rights. The order mandates a prison population of no more than 110,000 inmates, still far above the system's designed capacity.

There were more than 143,000 inmates in the state's 33 adult prisons as of May 11, meaning roughly 33,000 inmates will need to be transferred to other jurisdictions or released.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, a California native, wrote the majority opinion, in which he included photos of severe overcrowding. The court's four Democratic appointees joined with Kennedy.

"The violations have persisted for years. They remain uncorrected," Kennedy said. The lawsuit challenging the provision of mental health care was filed in 1990.

Justice Antonin Scalia said in dissent that the court order is "perhaps the most radical injunction issued by a court in our nation's history."

Scalia, reading his dissent aloud Monday, said it would require the release of "the staggering number of 46,000 convicted felons."

more at-

High court backs cuts in Calif. prison population - Yahoo! News

Last edited:
:wtf:
The immediate effect of the order will almost certainly be a large-scale release. That will increase pressure on an already-overburdened parole system and send career criminals back to ply their trade in communities throughout the state — and the country. The increased costs on communities won’t help the state improve medical care to prisoners; it’s more likely to sap the state’s treasury.

This poses other questions as well. What is California supposed to do with convicts now? If they can’t add to the current level of inmates, then they’re going to have to release even more on a one-for-one basis, putting revolving doors on the prisons again. The same will be true in other states, which had joined California in opposing the order, which now have to operate under a new Supreme Court mandate on prison populations.
Supreme Court orders release of over 30,000 prisoners in CA to … improve health care « Hot Air

merged

The problem is that the state officials failed to do what was necessary. That picture in the article made the case.

I think the people of california have good reason to wish their politicians were more responsible. But this is not the first time for this.

The problem is that the state officials failed to do what was necessary. That picture in the article made the case.

I think the people of california have good reason to wish their politicians were more responsible. But this is not the first time for this.

What political party has been in controll of Cali for the past 50 years?

The actual number is 40,000 prisoners have to be released from the SCOTUS overcrowding decision today in California. Some are calling this the most radical decision ever handed down in our nation's history by the SCOTUS.

Justice Antonin Scalia said in dissent that the court order is "perhaps the most radical injunction issued by a court in our nation's history."

Scalia, reading his dissent aloud Monday, said it would require the release of "the staggering number of 46,000 convicted felons."

He blew a gasket over Boumediene as well, and none of his dire predictions came true in that case. He needs to get a grip.

The ruling follows precedent and is appropriate per the 8th.

The issue is California’s legislature abdicating its taxing authority to the people. California ‘republic,’ indeed.

He blew a gasket over Boumediene as well, and none of his dire predictions came true in that case. He needs to get a grip.

The issue is California’s legislature abdicating its taxing authority to the people. California ‘republic,’ indeed.

catch 22. even if we let them raise taxes till their hearts content, which they have been btw, not as much as they want but they have, 20 years and counting here we sit, what makes you think they would use the money for prisons?

and if I recall we voted those folks in who, it appears in your eyes have hamstrung their own ability to just tax willy nilly and thank god.

California must release prisoners, Supreme Court rules – All the latest

Are all 148K "non-violence" drug offenders? Probably not. Although I consider non-violent drug offenders one's caught with weed (regardless of the urban myth marijuana possession (not distribution) doesn't get you tossed in jail, without having any priors. Crackheads, herione addicts, meth addicts etc that might go to jail for possession, steal, mug people, break and enter, are irrational and can be driven to violence if they need their fix.

Scary that the SC rules to just release 148K inmates who had their day in court and lost! That is not justice!merged del

Are all 148K "non-violence" drug offenders? Probably not. Although I consider non-violent drug offenders one's caught with weed (regardless of the urban myth marijuana possession (not distribution) doesn't get you tossed in jail, without having any priors. Crackheads, herione addicts, meth addicts etc that might go to jail for possession, steal, mug people, break and enter, are irrational and can be driven to violence if they need their fix.

Scary that the SC rules to just release 148K inmates who had their day in court and lost! That is not justice!

Actually, it does. I got a week in jail once for having a small amount on me. If they want to clear out the prisons, they should legalize cannabis.

Considering that many of those in prison are there for nonviolent drug offenses, I'd say there is some leeway to let some of them out on parole.

Considering that many of those in prison are there for nonviolent drug offenses, I'd say there is some leeway to let some of them out on parole.

Yanno.........if they would legalize cannabis, it would cut down on the prison populations, as well as give the government some revenue from taxes.

All they'd have to do is start allowing the Marijuana Tax Stamps to be sold, we've already got the procedures in place

This is the price we pay for our current anti-drug laws. We have more prisoners than we have space and taxpayers do not want to build more prisons.

Our prisons should be for those who are a threat to others. Those involved in vice charges should be a low priority when it comes to the taxpayer paying for their incarceration

I'm thinking that if California would just give up on being a 'sanctuary' state and would deport the illegals currently held in California prisons, the problem would be resolved.

I thought Cannaibis was legal in California now? For all practical purposes anyway. But yes, folks on minor possession charges should not be in the penal system.

This is the price we pay for our current anti-drug laws. We have more prisoners than we have space and taxpayers do not want to build more prisons.

Our prisons should be for those who are a threat to others. Those involved in vice charges should be a low priority when it comes to the taxpayer paying for their incarceration

I agree. Legalize BOTH cannabis and prostitution.

Interestingly enough, brothels and prostitution are legal in many countries in Europe. Matter of fact, there's a red light district in Catania, Sicily that covers about 3 city blocks, lined with buildings that have doors about 20 feet apart. In front of each door, there is a woman dressed in sexy lingerie who is waiting. You walk up, negotiate the price and then when you get inside, she shows you her health card so that you can make sure she's current and healthy.

Besides, if prostitution were legal, it would cut down a great deal of not only prison space, but it would also prevent stuff like sexual slavery and pimps.

Why? Because if the girls had a legal recourse and could call the cops, they would be able to combat the abuse.

Scary that the SC rules to just release 148K inmates who had their day in court and lost! That is not justice!

Actually, it does. I got a week in jail once for having a small amount on me. If they want to clear out the prisons, they should legalize cannabis.

How many people really spend hard time in jail for mere marijuana possession. The number has to be in the single percents!

How many people really spend hard time in jail for mere marijuana possession. The number has to be in the single percents!

Wrong. I've got a friend named Kelly who has been busted many times for posession of cannabis, something around 4 or so, each time he spent a week in jail.

Nope, because not only did I serve a week, but many of the people who were in city jail were there for the same reason I was, posession of less than an ounce.

And yeah........Texas is a tough state to do time in.

That is BS. The issue has NEVER been one of not having the money. The tax rate is not very good in CA. The problem is that it is not spent wisely. In addition, idiotic laws like the drug laws mentioned here add unsustainable numbers to the inmate population. On top of that , the failing school structure that comes up with the most idiotic concepts like bilingual classes and not grading papers properly for fear of hurting children’s ‘self esteem.’ If the tax authority was the issue then I would expect CA tax system to be one of the lowest in the country. That is not even close to the case.

Wrong. I've got a friend named Kelly who has been busted many times for posession of cannabis, something around 4 or so, each time he spent a week in jail.

Nope, because not only did I serve a week, but many of the people who were in city jail were there for the same reason I was, posession of less than an ounce.

And yeah........Texas is a tough state to do time in.
He did say hard time. A week is not clogging the prison system. It is clogging the courts though but that is another matter.

Forum List

Back