Ariz. lawmaker takes aim at automatic citizenship

my2¢;2421096 said:
How so?

If a baby is born to citizens,

OF COURSE it's a citizen.

The only folks it would hurt

are illegal aliens and their progeny, if none of them married a citizen, nor bothered to apply and BECOME citizens.

We've already HAD one amnesty bill passed, so as of 2000,

EVERYONE residing IN the US was considered a citizen.

Prior amnesty laws granted citizenhip? My understanding is that they have only allowed those that entered the country illegally a means to stay in the country and pursue citizenship. And about baby born to citizens being citizens, from the birth certificates of various states I've seen, none mentions the citizenship status of the parents. Thus it seems to me that if birth certificates no longer cut it, then the only ones who would be able to show any proof of citizenship would be those that have gone throught the nationalization process.

It wouldn't really be all that difficult. If your parents are citizens (if they were born here they'll have a BC, if they were naturalized they'll have that paperwork) you'd be a citizen as well. If Mom is American and Dad is German -first random nationality that popped into my head- (or vice-versa) you get dual citizenship until 18 and then pick one, if both parents are German and you're born here...you're German. This is not rocket science. This is pretty much how it works in most countries around the world to no ill-effect. It eliminates the whole "anchor-baby" problem and gets rid of the host of problems that come along when you want to toss out illegal parents but don't know what to do with the anchor baby.

They all go back home.

my2¢;2421096 said:
How so?

If a baby is born to citizens,

OF COURSE it's a citizen.

The only folks it would hurt

are illegal aliens and their progeny, if none of them married a citizen, nor bothered to apply and BECOME citizens.

We've already HAD one amnesty bill passed, so as of 2000,

EVERYONE residing IN the US was considered a citizen.

Prior amnesty laws granted citizenhip? My understanding is that they have only allowed those that entered the country illegally a means to stay in the country and pursue citizenship. And about baby born to citizens being citizens, from the birth certificates of various states I've seen, none mentions the citizenship status of the parents. Thus it seems to me that if birth certificates no longer cut it, then the only ones who would be able to show any proof of citizenship would be those that have gone throught the nationalization process.

It wouldn't really be all that difficult. If your parents are citizens (if they were born here they'll have a BC, if they were naturalized they'll have that paperwork) you'd be a citizen as well. If Mom is American and Dad is German -first random nationality that popped into my head- (or vice-versa) you get dual citizenship until 18 and then pick one, if both parents are German and you're born here...you're German. This is not rocket science. This is pretty much how it works in most countries around the world to no ill-effect. It eliminates the whole "anchor-baby" problem and gets rid of the host of problems that come along when you want to toss out illegal parents but don't know what to do with the anchor baby.

They all go back home.

So which is it, should birthplace be used or not used as a proof of citizenship?

I can't imagine that illegals having babies here aren't using El Centro, Nogales, El Paso and such as their own places of birth. But then you must look upon them as honest folks. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back