A'relevant' moral dillemma

roomy said:
A madman who has threatened to explode several bombs in crowded areas has been apprehended. Unfortunately, he has already planted the bombs and they are scheduled to go off in a short time. It is possible that hundreds of people may die. The authorities cannot make him divulge the location of the bombs by conventional methods. He refuses to say anything and requests a lawyer to protect his fifth amendment right against self-incrimination. In exasperation, some high level official suggests torture. This would be illegal, of course, but the official thinks that it is nevertheless the right thing to do in this desperate situation. Do you agree? If you do, would it also be morally justifiable to torture the mad bomber's innocent wife if that is the only way to make him talk? Why?

torture him, then kill him. The wife, no.

PS, thats not a dilema, a dilema is when you have to actually think about your answer for at least a nano second.

roomy said:
I guess you think the soldiers at Abu Graib are doing a fine job then?

Not the wife?Why not, if it would make the terrorist talk?

Do whatever it takes to save the hundreds of innocent people from a man who apparently has no problem with mass murder for no reason.

If the man has trained his kids in the way of terror - kill them too.

There's no delimma. Promise the guy freedom if he talks. If he talks save the hundreds, then give the guy freedom - via a bullet in the forehead.

Easy.

roomy said:
A madman who has threatened to explode several bombs in crowded areas has been apprehended. Unfortunately, he has already planted the bombs and they are scheduled to go off in a short time. It is possible that hundreds of people may die. The authorities cannot make him divulge the location of the bombs by conventional methods. He refuses to say anything and requests a lawyer to protect his fifth amendment right against self-incrimination. In exasperation, some high level official suggests torture. This would be illegal, of course, but the official thinks that it is nevertheless the right thing to do in this desperate situation. Do you agree? If you do, would it also be morally justifiable to torture the mad bomber's innocent wife if that is the only way to make him talk? Why?

I agree with the other poster who said this is actually not a dilemma. This is a no brainer. Anyone who says otherwise has no business within a five mile radius of public policy decisions.

roomy said:
By killing him and his family are we not as bad as him, or does this not matter?

I would be interested in more reasoned replies on this, kneejerk reactions are not reasonable per say.

Personally I would use any means to get the info from him but still can't help wondering about the value of life and who has the right to play at being god.What makes anyones life more or less valuable than anothers.The terrorist obviously has his own opinions on this, and I am sure he doesn't think of himself as a terrorist.

If Bush was about to nuke Iran and only he could stop it, would you torture him unto death to save Muslim lives in Iran?

Yeah. We're just as bad as them. So why are you on their side?

roomy said:
By killing him and his family are we not as bad as him, or does this not matter?

No. Killing him and his family ensures the safety of the rest of the world. The 'We're just like them' argument is puts one on false moral ground.

I would be interested in more reasoned replies on this, kneejerk reactions are not reasonable per say.

Personally I would use any means to get the info from him but still can't help wondering about the value of life and who has the right to play at being god.What makes anyones life more or less valuable than anothers.The terrorist obviously has his own opinions on this, and I am sure he doesn't think of himself as a terrorist.

If Bush was about to nuke Iran and only he could stop it, would you torture him unto death to save Muslim lives in Iran?

There's nothing knee-jerk about my reply. What makes life valuable, or not, is how one LIVES their lives - the choices a person makes define one's 'worthiness'. This man thinking he is or isn't a terrorist does not change the absolute truth of the matter; The man needs to die.

If bush was about to nuke Iran, and only this man in custody could stop it, I'd shoot that man, so he 'couldn't' stop it.

roomy said:
Don't make yourself look more fucking stupid than you already do.I am not on their side, I am asking a question, but all I hear is kill'em, kil l'em all, now.

Now grow the fuck up.
no---you are hearing posters say kill mass murderers and those intent on killing more

roomy said:
So you would ensure the death of perhaps millions of Iranians for no other reason than they had the capability to produce nuclear weapons?Speaks volumes.

Everyone is capable of aquiring weapons that will harm the population. The difference is in the "timer" and wanting to harm thousands with a bomb set to go off at a certain time.

Is bringing up Iran an example of "strawman"?

I'd beat the guy senseless, break his fingers, break out the acid and the hot irons, whatever it took. Yeah, torture is illegal, but I'd rather go to jail than let said bombs explode. I don't think I could make myself torture his wife, though I would probably threaten to.

roomy said:
Don't make yourself look more fucking stupid than you already do.I am not on their side, I am asking a question, but all I hear is kill'em, kil l'em all, now.

Now grow the fuck up.

But you think we're no better, and I'm agreeing. Life is a brute struggle for existence, you might as well just throw your chips in with your homeland, no?

roomy said:
What then do the so called terrorists see?Have you ever played the Devils advocate?You should try it sometime, gives you a different perspective for a while, before you dismiss it and join the rank and file again.

Yeah, kill 'em, nuke the bastards. :rolleyes:

The terrorists see a chance to gain power and wealth by using Islam as a weapon against everyone else in the world. Killing a 5 year old is no dilema for them. Ask them the same question you are asking us

roomy said:
I would get the same response from them.All sides believe themselves to be right, they can't all be.I am just glad to be on the right side. :thewave:

Wrong---Americans would object to the intentional murder of innocents.

roomy said:
What then do the so called terrorists see?Have you ever played the Devils advocate?You should try it sometime, gives you a different perspective for a while, before you dismiss it and join the rank and file again.

Yeah, kill 'em, nuke the bastards. :rolleyes:

How's about I play the "Devil's advocate" with you.

It`s your mother that is at risk, what would you do to get the information to save her?

How far would you go?

Perspective's DO change don't they?

roomy said:
I would get the same response from them.All sides believe themselves to be right, they can't all be.I am just glad to be on the right side. :thewave:

It comes down to who do you want to influence the world more. Totalitarians, or relatively free societies. It's similar to the favorite color discussion.

trobinett said:
How's about I play the "Devil's advocate" with you.

It`s your mother that is at risk, what would you do to get the information to save her?

How far would you go?

Perspective's DO change don't they?

I wouldn't go far. They'd throw her back. :laugh:

roomy said:
I guess you think the soldiers at Abu Graib are doing a fine job then?

Not the wife?Why not, if it would make the terrorist talk?

actually no... the soliders at aub grab ass were having a frat party in my opinion .... torture should hurt....having a dog bark at you....a hot chick sit on your lap.....being piled up naked.....the should have attached the wires to a battery.....

in your scenario i would torture the dude that planted the bomb, his wife, his mum, his kids, and his dog....then i would shoot the lot of them and bury them in the hog pen

Forum List

Back