Are you 'Well Read?'

10 of 13, apparently I need to read Bulwar-Lytton's Paul Clifford (who knew that snoopy wasn't being original?); Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle; and Dostoyevsky's Notes From Underground.

I'll pass on those three.

You should have been able to guess on Dostoyevsky Jill, everything he wrote was in taht crime and punishment mode.

10 of 13, apparently I need to read Bulwar-Lytton's Paul Clifford (who knew that snoopy wasn't being original?); Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle; and Dostoyevsky's Notes From Underground.

I dunno, Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle sounds interesting.

Amazon.com Review
Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.
266 five star reviews, 72 four star reviews and only 42 three star or less out of 380 total reviews.

I'll most likely give it a shot. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Cradle-Novel-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/038533348X/ref=ed_oe_p[/ame]

Amazon.com Review
Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze.
266 five star reviews, 72 four star reviews and only 42 three star or less out of 380 total reviews.

I'll most likely give it a shot. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Cradle-Novel-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/038533348X/ref=ed_oe_p]Amazon.com: Cat's Cradle: A Novel: Kurt Vonnegut: Books[/ame]

Oh ok! lol.. let me know if you like it.

I never knew 'well read' meant you memorized opening lines to fiction books. Now I feel even dumber because I've been fighting my way through this stupid Richard Dawkins book.

Agreed---I think "well read" means you can act all snooty at social gatherings.

I don't think I get invited to those kinds of parties. :lol:

OTOH I can pull off a 15 second keg stand, so I guess we all have different ideas of fun. :tongue:

the old man and the sea....how long can a damn fish live or die or whatever

some of this so called classic stuff is simply too bland to read...russians esp...that gulag one....

Amazon.com Review

I'll most likely give it a shot. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Cradle-Novel-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/038533348X/ref=ed_oe_p]Amazon.com: Cat's Cradle: A Novel: Kurt Vonnegut: Books[/ame]

Oh ok! lol.. let me know if you like it.

I enjoyed Cat's Cradle, though I'm much more of a Breakfast of Champions fan.

I'm not a huge fan of Russian novelists either, had to read that stuff in college.

They're depressing. Although I will cop to having loved Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

I'm actually surprised they didn't have "Who is John Galt"?

I loved The Metamorphosis, but I really like Crime & Punishment, War & Peace, Anna Karenina, Of Mice & Men, and Les Miserables. Dickens usually didn't appeal to me for some reason, though like many who had it read every year, A Christmas Carol still works for me. I read most in high school, that's when I really had time and The Metamorphosis was required, as was Anna Karenina. I was a strange kid.

I never knew 'well read' meant you memorized opening lines to fiction books. Now I feel even dumber because I've been fighting my way through this stupid Richard Dawkins book.

Exactly.
Maybe if a few more people would read some economics, history, and other non-fiction, this country would be better off.

Forum List

Back