Are You Really Ready For The New Rule?

Given recent events, we are on a clear trajectory of doing away with due process and replacing it with howling Twitter and MSM mobs.

So, are you ready for the new Rule?

"You are guilty until proven innocent of anything a member of a preferred Political Identity FEELz you have done or are."

The implications are that anything a Preferred Political Identity Person thinks you believe, say, do or do not believe say or do, regardless of whether or not it's true, can be used to destroy your reputation, livelihood, privacy, financial assets...and liberty.

This is the way people in authoritarian societies live. So, are you ready to live completely as a cipher for the approved GroupThink du jour?
After 8 years of hysteria over Obama, and decades over Hillary, you are really in no place to complain about people being guilty until proven innocent.
boedicca apparently has a Sessions-like amnesia over the republican right wing smear machine

He doesn't recall

You sad little booby. hiLIARy ran as a political candidate. She made representations about her character, accomplishments and ideological positions. Vetting her is an appropriate part of the political process. Such vetting involves demonstrating whether or not she was truthful. She lied. A lot. She did corrupt things. These are relevant, and not at all what this thread is about.
At least she didn’t rape a bunch of children

Has someone been imprisoned because of "howling Twitter and MSM mobs"? If not, I'm not sure what this has to do with due process.

People certainly do seem unfortunately willing to accept claims of wrongdoing against those of opposing politics, but due process is about the law, not public opinion. :dunno:

I didn't say prison, did I? The impact of the new rule is that one's life is basically ruined.

You did not say prison, but you did say due process, and again, due process is about the law, not public opinion. Public opinion has never been constrained by due process.

I'll note that in a culture with a broad and proper Civil Society, mores of decency prevent an innocent person from being pilloried by the public opinion mob. Given that our Civil Society has basically collapsed to the point where anonymous people feel that it is appropriate to DOXX and destroy the lives of people who do things like refuse to bake wedding cakes or who donate to political causes they don't favor, every single person is at risk. Behavioral Modification Media has made this So Easy. Is this really how you want to live?

I would guess that we have never had "a culture with a broad and proper Civil Society" then. People reacting to rumors and speculation is nothing new, probably as old as human society itself. What makes it perhaps more dangerous today than in the past is the ease with which such rumors and accusations are communicated.

Do I want a society that is happy to try to destroy someone's life based on rumor? No. I'm not sure how to prevent it outside of overly restrictive laws, though.

I also think that the current rash of sexual misconduct allegations is an unusual situation. There seems to be a perception, real or imagined, that such misconduct has been going on unreported pretty much all the time up to now. For whatever reason, those who have been silent about incidents like these now feel empowered to come forward about them. Many people find such accusations easy to believe because of the perception that this kind of conduct has been going on as a sort of open secret, particularly in Hollywood but among the powerful in general. Some of those who are being accused now also faced accusations in the past without having their lives ruined; there has been a confluence of events to make people believe such charges recently. I don't think it is fair to consider the current crop of sexual misconduct allegations, and the public reaction to them, as indicative of the norm.

What is different now is the amplification effect. Prior to Behavioral Modification Media, reputation was a local thing. People within a community knew each other and had a basis for a more informed evaluation of a particular individual.

Today, however, anonymous people on the internet who personally know none of the individuals involved and have no information to make a proper judgement are whipped into a frenzy by Behavior Modification Media. The ethical implications of this development are truly horrifying.
Thank Rush Limbaugh for destroying America

Remember him and the republican hatefest that copied him?

Or does your Sessions-like amnesia go that deep?

Has someone been imprisoned because of "howling Twitter and MSM mobs"? If not, I'm not sure what this has to do with due process.

People certainly do seem unfortunately willing to accept claims of wrongdoing against those of opposing politics, but due process is about the law, not public opinion. :dunno:

I didn't say prison, did I? The impact of the new rule is that one's life is basically ruined.

You did not say prison, but you did say due process, and again, due process is about the law, not public opinion. Public opinion has never been constrained by due process.

I'll note that in a culture with a broad and proper Civil Society, mores of decency prevent an innocent person from being pilloried by the public opinion mob. Given that our Civil Society has basically collapsed to the point where anonymous people feel that it is appropriate to DOXX and destroy the lives of people who do things like refuse to bake wedding cakes or who donate to political causes they don't favor, every single person is at risk. Behavioral Modification Media has made this So Easy. Is this really how you want to live?

I would guess that we have never had "a culture with a broad and proper Civil Society" then. People reacting to rumors and speculation is nothing new, probably as old as human society itself. What makes it perhaps more dangerous today than in the past is the ease with which such rumors and accusations are communicated.

Do I want a society that is happy to try to destroy someone's life based on rumor? No. I'm not sure how to prevent it outside of overly restrictive laws, though.

I also think that the current rash of sexual misconduct allegations is an unusual situation. There seems to be a perception, real or imagined, that such misconduct has been going on unreported pretty much all the time up to now. For whatever reason, those who have been silent about incidents like these now feel empowered to come forward about them. Many people find such accusations easy to believe because of the perception that this kind of conduct has been going on as a sort of open secret, particularly in Hollywood but among the powerful in general. Some of those who are being accused now also faced accusations in the past without having their lives ruined; there has been a confluence of events to make people believe such charges recently. I don't think it is fair to consider the current crop of sexual misconduct allegations, and the public reaction to them, as indicative of the norm.

What is different now is the amplification effect. Prior to Behavioral Modification Media, reputation was a local thing. People within a community knew each other and had a basis for a more informed evaluation of a particular individual.

Today, however, anonymous people on the internet who personally know none of the individuals involved and have no information to make a proper judgment are whipped into a frenzy by Behavior Modification Media. The ethical implications of this development are truly horrifying.

I mostly agree, although I think you might overestimate how much even local communities are informed about someone before being willing to make judgments about them. People rarely seem to require much in the way of evidence to demonize. Today's communications just broaden the reach of that sort of jump to judgment.

Maybe not. Vast swaths of the media were trying to normalize child rape in recent days, but were forced to back down. Not even Hannity could keep it up.
But the left - referring to Hollywood & Bill Clinton, got away with keeping the 'he man Woman Haters' / woman sexually harassing / sexually assaulting / raping club hidden for decades.

The lid on this 'poop-pie' pressure cooker is finally blowing off, and it is hitting the members of this 'club, no matter what political party you belong to.

I am glad to see it. I don't care if you are a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, or a Vegetarian - if you are guilt, if it is proven to be true, you need to answer for your crimes / deeds to the full extent of the law!

The CULTURE needs to change...and it is going to be damn-near impossible without a 'revolution. The culture I am talking about is 'groups' knowing and HIDING the crimes of their members, whether it be to hide GROUP affiliation / embarrassment, protect the 'numbers' lead in Congress, or desire to protect the individual from repercussions.

Remember the Dem Slogan: 'If you see something SAY something'? What happened to that, and why don't we push for that to be applied across the board regarding crime? Screw 'loyalty' to any group - enforce the law, defend the victims.

If a person is suspected of being a criminal / of breaking the law, identify them, investigate them, and if the accusations are proven to be true prosecute the hell out of them

It isn't rocket science - no matter who you are, no matter what party you belong to, no one should help cover up your scandals / crimes.
- Make the punishment be the same for those who do engage in the cover up as those who did the crime. That will break this trend.

Accusation - investigation - evidence - punishment.
- Enough of the partisan / group loyalty BS and drama.

ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW / LAWS!
- IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING....NOT COVER IT UP!

republicans have been dishing out the market tested lies, hate and smears for decades

then

When they get a bit back, they cry like the babies Moore sexually assaulted

Given recent events, we are on a clear trajectory of doing away with due process and replacing it with howling Twitter and MSM mobs.

"You are guilty until proven innocent of anything a member of a preferred Political Identity FEELz you have done or are."

The implications are that anything a Preferred Political Identity Person thinks you believe, say, do or do not believe say or do, regardless of whether or not it's true, can be used to destroy your reputation, livelihood, privacy, financial assets...and liberty.

This is the way people in authoritarian societies live. So, are you ready to live completely as a cipher for the approved GroupThink du jour?

That's new? I think that goes back at least to all those who proclaimed Clinton a rapist.

That's new? I think that goes back at least to all those who proclaimed Clinton a rapist.
or all the people cons claimed the Clintons had murdered

Nixon's dirty tricks started even before Rush

and now we have a republican president who spews lies and calls the truth fake news. who wants to shut down free speech and tell his Justice Department to go after his political enemies

This is the new and improved Democratic Party

We will no longer stand back silently while cons spew their lies and hate

Democrats are coming and HELL is coming with us

Yeah I’m going to be in trouble.

Got to hand it to y’all. It’s true. Democrats out fight republicans every single time.

No, not yet, but people HAVE had their lives and careers ruined.

Got to hand it to y’all. It’s true. Democrats out fight republicans every single time.

No we don't and haven't in the past.

Here's a good example. When trump was hovering over Snow White Hillary during that debate, she should have turned around and gotten in his face "If you continue to stalk, I will grab you by your pussy!"

No we don't and haven't in the past.

Here's a good example. When trump was hovering over Snow White Hillary during that debate, she should have turned around and gotten in his face "If you continue to stalk, I will grab you by your pussy!"

So wrong. Democrats run circles around republicans. No match. Not even a contest.

Look how the rules on this very site are ignored. Mob justice is as practiced here as anywhere.

Agreed, but this is a virtual, anonymous community. I'm not aware of anyone's PI being abused to get them fired or ruin their "Meatspace" life. It does provide a good indication of what human nature will result in when proper social mores are set aside, however.
When rules/laws are ignored for entertainment purposes of the higher up members are robbed of their rights.
I have always held the tos/toa is a members bill of rights. When laws/rules are ignored rights are lost.

You mean like republicans and Russians did to Hillary?

No, I don't. hiLIARy promoted the culture of identify politics/character assassination. Telling the truth about her doesn't ruin her life without due process, bub.
What due process is that? Has Snow White Hillary ever been guilty of anything?

Hypocrisy, thy name be YOU

You lack critical thinking ability, fo shizzle.

Today, however, anonymous people on the internet who personally know none of the individuals involved and have no information to make a proper judgment are whipped into a frenzy by Behavior Modification Media. The ethical implications of this development are truly horrifying.

I mostly agree, although I think you might overestimate how much even local communities are informed about someone before being willing to make judgments about them. People rarely seem to require much in the way of evidence to demonize. Today's communications just broaden the reach of that sort of jump to judgment.

Agreed, but somebody in the local community is more likely to be informed than some FB or Twitter user who is sent an hysterical message or fed a biased news item by one of the 1,000 fake friends whom they have never met.

It would not have been necessary to Make America Great Again had Kenya's pride and joy been held to eligibility requirements and allowed to romp free with His TAD (Take America Down) program.

It's the same standard as used in the 3rd world countries that the leftists so much prefer.

Nothing could go wrong.

Forum List

Back