are you interested in languages and dialects?

are you?

• Total voters
there are Saxons still in germany

some wandered, some stayed

I am interested in language family origins and language isolates. I can't buy the argument that language families have completely separate origins. One original language starting at the beginning of human speech and then evolving with regional differences as humans spread out seems more likely.

Before the beginning of known civilization, Ice Age civilizations may have existed in coastal regions that are now far below sea level. Entire language families may have ended there.

I have an ear for American dialects although they are fading with time. The old Brooklyn NY dialect was a entity of it's own. The flat vowels of the Chicago area can be picked up to the trained ear and Canadians are easy. Fragments of Elizabeithian English can be identified in the Southern U.S.

I have an ear for American dialects although they are fading with time. The old Brooklyn NY dialect was a entity of it's own. The flat vowels of the Chicago area can be picked up to the trained ear and Canadians are easy. Fragments of Elizabeithian English can be identified in the Southern U.S.

I thought I heard this in someone from New Orleans.

After living on the Left Coast for my whole adult life, I'm trying to re-learn how to speak South Dakotan. Mostly dialect -- a bathrobe is a "housecoat", a casserole is a "hotdish" -- I'm getting there. And on top of that, I grew up with my grandmother's Vermont pronunciation -- potatoes were "puh-day-das" and the double "O" in spoon was like the double "O" in book.

I am interested in language family origins and language isolates. I can't buy the argument that language families have completely separate origins. One original language starting at the beginning of human speech and then evolving with regional differences as humans spread out seems more likely.

Before the beginning of known civilization, Ice Age civilizations may have existed in coastal regions that are now far below sea level. Entire language families may have ended there.
When You Go to College, Your Mind Is Put in a Straitjacket

I discovered un-academic roots in Indo-European, for example manus "hand" being a distant cousin of many. From anthropology we learn that primitive tribes described numbers greater than two with a wave of the hand. One and Two are also related to the way primitives showed numbers. To and Too go with pointing.

This next discovery is so obvious that it proves how blind academic etymologists are. Dog is related to digitus, "finger," and means "pointer." Also to paradigm, which you can point to as the controlling idea. I originally learned paradigm as a chart showing the various forms of a Latin word.

Getting out my old Latin from high school so I can understand the Latin Mass.

Áve María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum; benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Jésus.

Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstræ. Amen.

fine for thebmonth of May now!

Forum List

Back