Are White Southerners Oversensitive?

I'm seen it stated in several thread that Blacks are oversensitive to race or criticism. Is the same true of White Southerners?

Lost the Civil War, were economically backward compared to the North for nearly a century. Instituted Jim Crow laws to make themselves feel superior again by bullying people lower on the totem pole than themselves. Had those laws pulled away from them in the mid-part of the 20th century. Saw and are still seeing a gradual dwindling of the power structure they had established. Get really up in arms about Yankees moving into their towns and buying land. Get really up in arms and sensitive when the official line of Southern oppression and victimhood due to losing the Civil War and slavery, and Jim Crow are ridiculed. As a defense, if anyone makes criticisms likes to call those critics racists or other types of ad hominem insults. Or they say that all those evil from the past are just "heritage."

Tell me, does anyone else see a slight parallel? A double standard?
And just so we're clear, I'm not saying that all Southerners are like this, or that all Southerners are racist. I would argue that the majority of White Southerners do carry some of these sentiments to a certain degree.

Unfortunately, you're reading some article.

I live here.

We got over it.

One fallacy about the Civil war was that the Abolitionists were not Racist.

They were against slavery, but start talking to them about equal rights, or Blacks moving to the north, and they quickly became racists :)

Southerns have lived along side blacks longer. For all the evils of Slavery, It did mean that they got to know blacks better than most whites in America. As a result today they have a much more cordial Relationship among races than in many places in the US.

At least that is what I have seen in my travels around this country.

I never said that the abolitionists weren't racist. That's irrelevent. Even if they were racist, they were fighting to end slavery. The Confederates were racist and fighting to keep slavery. I wonder which is the worse evil.

I also live in the South, and in geneal towns are very divided by race, with a black part of town, a richer white part of town, and sometimes a small hispanic part of town.

I'm seen it stated in several thread that Blacks are oversensitive to race or criticism. Is the same true of White Southerners?

Lost the Civil War, were economically backward compared to the North for nearly a century. Instituted Jim Crow laws to make themselves feel superior again by bullying people lower on the totem pole than themselves. Had those laws pulled away from them in the mid-part of the 20th century. Saw and are still seeing a gradual dwindling of the power structure they had established. Get really up in arms about Yankees moving into their towns and buying land. Get really up in arms and sensitive when the official line of Southern oppression and victimhood due to losing the Civil War and slavery, and Jim Crow are ridiculed. As a defense, if anyone makes criticisms likes to call those critics racists or other types of ad hominem insults. Or they say that all those evil from the past are just "heritage."

Tell me, does anyone else see a slight parallel? A double standard?
And just so we're clear, I'm not saying that all Southerners are like this, or that all Southerners are racist. I would argue that the majority of White Southerners do carry some of these sentiments to a certain degree.

What a bunch of bullshit stated by an ignorant asshole.

Lookey here, you got thanks from all the friendly neighborhood retards.

I never said that the abolitionists weren't racist. That's irrelevent. Even if they were racist, they were fighting to end slavery. The Confederates were racist and fighting to keep slavery. I wonder which is the worse evil.

I also live in the South, and in geneal towns are very divided by race, with a black part of town, a richer white part of town, and sometimes a small hispanic part of town.

I'm guessing you're a lot further west than I was, Ozmar. Texas? Not everyone sees Texas as "southern". I have never lived there, but it would make sense they'd be having racial tensions unique to that state.

What you're describing is not true of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc.

Texas is comprised of LOTS of small towns, and folks are folks. We ALL need each other and realize that fact.

Want to be an asshat? We'll treat you like one.

Want to be a normal peep? We'll treat you like one.

Austin and Houston freak me out, simply 'cuz the black folks are so racist in those towns,

UNLIKE any of the other places I've lived, here.

In most of our smaller towns, whites are the minority, but I've been treated just like anyone else.

It's all a matter of attitude towards others, as to how YOU might be treated, and if you treat others as your brothers and sisters, we'll treat you the same way.

I have personally never lived anywhere I felt I was a target for someone's rage because of my race. I was in Detroit in the late 1970's, when it's murder rate was at its zenith. The common wisdom was "don't cross 8 Mile Road" if you are white. But I worked in a bar inside there and never had a problem. You need to use your radar in any big city....it has nothing to do with race.

Just a few questions

What part of town do you live in?
And are you saying that only the whites are racist, or that the blacks and hispanics are the racists against the whites?

There is racism in all direction. However, I would say it's subdued, and not like it was in the past, which is good. I live in an area next to the college campus, so it's relatively mixed. That being said, the more entrenched population is pretty segregated. There are a lot of northern transplants here too, and the locals (especially whites) hate the Yankees. Especially the closer you get to the outskirts of town.

Ever heard of Wilmington, NC?

There are area of town blacks don't feel comfortable going to, and there are areas whites don't feel comfortable going to. The blacks resent the Hispanics for taking up their jobs, and the poor whites resent the Hispanics for taking up there jobs...The only thing the poor white (not all, but some) resent more than the black is the Hispanics.

Last edited:
There is racism in all direction. However, I would say it's subdued, and not like it was in the past, which is good. I live in an area next to the college campus, so it's relatively mixed. That being said, the more entrenched population is pretty segregated. There are a lot of northern transplants here too, and the locals (especially whites) hate the Yankees. Especially the closer you get to the outskirts of town.

So things ARE changing?

FINALLY!

Someone that can Stand Up and SAY that we're all figuring it out,

even if some are slower than others.

What race are you? Might seem like a stupid question, but folks that were born here must be accorded a different standard than those that came AS aliens, eh?

And I DO know from whence I speak, as an American Texican (mexican/english/irish/what-the-fuck-ever) that came here, only speaking french, and only knowing of (supposedly) alien cultures.

Didn't stay long, either. I was treated to the WORLD, and you know what?

We're STILL all the same. Regardless of language. Regardless of religion. Regardless of pretty much ANYTHING, saving cannibalism.

However, to give the cannibals their due:

Waste Not, Want Not.

We BURY perfectly good MEAT, and KILL live animals,

and call ourselves superior.

When does ANYONE see beyond all this SHIT of Us and Them and How It Should Be (in our estimation)?

WHEN do we all ADMIT that we ARE all of them?

It's Just US?

Not in my lifetime, I fear.

So things ARE changing?

FINALLY!

Someone that can Stand Up and SAY that we're all figuring it out,

even if some are slower than others.

What race are you? Might seem like a stupid question, but folks that were born here must be accorded a different standard than those that came AS aliens, eh?

And I DO know from whence I speak, as an American Texican (mexican/english/irish/what-the-fuck-ever) that came here, only speaking french, and only knowing of (supposedly) alien cultures.

Didn't stay long, either. I was treated to the WORLD, and you know what?

We're STILL all the same. Regardless of language. Regardless of religion. Regardless of pretty much ANYTHING, saving cannibalism.

However, to give the cannibals their due:

Waste Not, Want Not.

We BURY perfectly good MEAT, and KILL live animals,

and call ourselves superior.

When does ANYONE see beyond all this SHIT of Us and Them and How It Should Be (in our estimation)?

WHEN do we all ADMIT that we ARE all of them?

It's Just US?

Not in my lifetime, I fear.

Okay, you lost me on all of that. I'm of mixed race. Black (African, Irish, English, Cherokee) and White (Irish, French, English). But I look like I'm Hispanic, and I have an Australian accent... because I'm from Australia.

There are area of town blacks don't feel comfortable going to, and there are areas whites don't feel comfortable going to. The blacks resent the Hispanics for taking up their jobs, and the poor whites resent the Hispanics for taking up there jobs...The only thing the poor white (not all, but some) resent more than the black is the Hispanics.

Well, I dun really know NC but I have been given to understand Durham is more like Seattle than it is like Tallahassee or Dothan. In any event, people do not share a POV about race merely because of where they live, and it's foolish to suggest they do. It sounds to me as if you've encountered some shocking white racists lately and as upsetting as that can be, it isn't a ginormous surprise. People are scared and don't know who to be angry at. The talking heads tell them to blame poor people and some do, never realizing it is the rich who are fucking them over.

I wouldn't say I've encountered "shocking" racism. I'm just very observant. As an outsider, I have a unique perspective at looking in on it.

Okay, you lost me on all of that. I'm of mixed race. Black (African, Irish, English, Cherokee) and White (Irish, French, English). But I look like I'm Hispanic, and I have an Australian accent... because I'm from Australia.

You're a ZEBRA!!! :lol:

A horse, with mysticism, mixed in.

You don't understand english? Wow. PM me with any questions regarding what I said and/or meant,

and NEXT time you want to appear to be stupid?

Do it beneath the radar, pal.

I wouldn't say I've encountered "shocking" racism. I'm just very observant. As an outsider, I have a unique perspective at looking in on it.

Ya well, I can only imagine how weird and nasty American racism must seem to an Aussie. But Ozmar, if the whites are hating on you it may not be possible to tell why that is. It might be because you're a chick, or because you are well-off, or because you have an accent, or for a hundred other reasons....us Americans do like to hate.

Thing is, a white person might tell me his private thoughts about hating on Hispanics, thinking I'd be receptive. But he'd never make that mistake with you if, as you say, you look Hispanic. It is hard as fuck to know what motivates another person's bad behavior and remember, a goodly percent of Americans are just assholes.

Ya well, I can only imagine how weird and nasty American racism must seem to an Aussie. But Ozmar, if the whites are hating on you it may not be possible to tell why that is. It might be because you're a chick, or because you are well-off, or because you have an accent, or for a hundred other reasons....us Americans do like to hate.

Thing is, a white person might tell me his private thoughts about hating on Hispanics, thinking I'd be receptive. But he'd never make that mistake with you if, as you say, you look Hispanic. It is hard as fuck to know what motivates another person's bad behavior and remember, a goodly percent of Americans are just assholes.

I forgot what I was going to post, but I think I'll be right back... :lol:

OKAY, I Remembered!

Ever been to Australia?

Ever heard of "Abbos?"

Get a GRIP, Made.

That isn't ANYTHING you've could have ever even thought about...

SPEAK UP, Ozcam, and tell her.

A Freudian Slip: OzCAM for OzMar... Pardonne moi.

You record what you see, to your brain, and I've intruded. My bad.

Last edited:

I forgot what I was going to post, but I think I'll be right back... :lol:

OKAY, I Remembered!

Ever been to Australia?

Ever heard of "Abbos?"

Get a GRIP, Made.

That isn't ANYTHING you've could have ever even thought about...

SPEAK UP, Ozcam, and tell her.

I'm sure there are Aussie assholes too, fyrenza.

It isn't that, Maddie.

It's how we're Different,

and yet,

the SAME.

It's Hard to explain... really hard.

I've spent my life trying to do it:

music and lyrics have told us;

our God has told us;

our very existence has shown us,

but we still don't see ALL of it.

It's a TAPESTRY ~ we're on the underside of it, and the threads all just look like a MESS;

God is on the other side of it, and it's a GORGEOUS Pattern.

We watch the stitches, and wEnder what any of it actually REPRESENTS,

and it doesn't mean much to us, not Where We Are nor How Our Lives Go,

but there IS a pattern.

If you've ever done psychedelics? You've seen SOME of it.

You KNOW there's a pattern to it all.

You know, as well as I do, that neither of us created that pattern, eh?

Last edited:
I lived in the deep south in 50's and 60's. I'm sure the prejudice and racism that I learned as child exist in me today just as it did then. You just can't escape from what you were taught as a child. It's all there. It's just hidden away. The best you can do is realize that you are a racist and try to deal with it. I envy the young in South today who weren't taught to hate before they were taught to read.

Forum List

Back